Katja Vuorisalo
Katja Vuorisalo  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:10
French to Finnish
+ ...
Sep 5, 2005

Hi,
I have Norman Virus Control in my computer and I have suddenly got many more "warnings" asking "do you want to accept this page" and so on when I open my computer. E.g. it asks me if I want to accept the connection from Internet Explorer and when I do accept, it keeps opening a new screen asking the same question again and again, only the "address" from where the connection is allowed can change; the serial number changes.

Is some bug trying to attack on my computer or wh
... See more
Hi,
I have Norman Virus Control in my computer and I have suddenly got many more "warnings" asking "do you want to accept this page" and so on when I open my computer. E.g. it asks me if I want to accept the connection from Internet Explorer and when I do accept, it keeps opening a new screen asking the same question again and again, only the "address" from where the connection is allowed can change; the serial number changes.

Is some bug trying to attack on my computer or what is this, do you know? It's really annoying when I have to accept about 20 connections every time I open my computer. And why does it ask this same thing every time, doesn't it register my answer from previous times? Is it safe to always accept the pages? Thank you for your help, I hope this didn't sound too confusing!
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Seems to me there could be something wrong Sep 5, 2005

You should update your Virus protection, check all files and if this does not help install your firewall anew, because something seems to be 'broke'.
Good luck!
Heinrich

Mihailolja
Mihailolja
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:10
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
few ideas........... Sep 5, 2005

Make sure you have all the latest windows security updates and service packs etc etc, all of course the latest ( i.e a day old at most ) anti-virus software.

If its still ok then do a spy ware check using adaware.

regards

Mihailo

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I discarded Norton an Mac Afee years ago Oct 1, 2005

as when they had any problems, they just showed "blue screen of death" and asked for backup diskettes or like (which I, of course, didn't have or, if I had, couldn't find). Besides, neither of them could cure my computer of "Chernobyl" virus, the only program at the time who could, was Kaspersky Antivirus. So I have stuck with it since and have had no problems since, too. (Automatic hourly updates of antivirus bases, price much lower, virus detection about 99% - I have written on it before- plea... See more
as when they had any problems, they just showed "blue screen of death" and asked for backup diskettes or like (which I, of course, didn't have or, if I had, couldn't find). Besides, neither of them could cure my computer of "Chernobyl" virus, the only program at the time who could, was Kaspersky Antivirus. So I have stuck with it since and have had no problems since, too. (Automatic hourly updates of antivirus bases, price much lower, virus detection about 99% - I have written on it before- please see:

http://www.proz.com/post/237604#237604

(Besides KAV 5 standard version also incorporates AntySpyWare, you just have to choose "Extended databases" in the settings). No extra charge for that, it is meant as an option to save your Internet connection / computer resources if you want to.

Uldis

Mihailolja wrote:

Make sure you have all the latest windows security updates and service packs etc etc, all of course the latest ( i.e a day old at most ) anti-virus software.

If its still ok then do a spy ware check using adaware.

regards

Mihailo
Collapse

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
English to Russian
You must know how to adjust your software ... Oct 2, 2005

... or hire someone who will do it for you once and will tell you how to react in this or that case.

You cannot avoid this.

Moreover, good computing practices are vitally important for your system's safety. If your practices are good, you cannot get a Chernobyl or other virus even without a firewall and AV software, all you need is to ***learn about the threats before they have become reality*** and take appropriate conventional measures. You cannot blame anyone for yo
... See more
... or hire someone who will do it for you once and will tell you how to react in this or that case.

You cannot avoid this.

Moreover, good computing practices are vitally important for your system's safety. If your practices are good, you cannot get a Chernobyl or other virus even without a firewall and AV software, all you need is to ***learn about the threats before they have become reality*** and take appropriate conventional measures. You cannot blame anyone for your problems if you take a stoll in slums ... drunk, at 3:00AM, with a purse full of cash.

I use Agnitum firewall and NOD32 AV software of the system I use most. Nortin is fine but slows me down, Kaspersky is super but even more resource-rapacious.

Good luck
Aleksandr
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Annoying firewalls

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »