Off topic: Is this a scam or advice how to find out
Thread poster: Sanmar
Sanmar
Sanmar
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:01
Dutch to English
Aug 4, 2005

My husband put a landrover gearbox up for sale on a website. We have had various emails from 419 scammers but now we have received 2 phone calls from someone purporting to be from Barbados, working for the UN who says he wants the gearbox and other parts. He has sent an email with various phone numbers in Israel, Lebanon, NY for 'UN offices' so we can 'check him out'. He says he will send a cheque and for us to wait for the cheque to clear before sending the parts abroad. Does anyone know about ... See more
My husband put a landrover gearbox up for sale on a website. We have had various emails from 419 scammers but now we have received 2 phone calls from someone purporting to be from Barbados, working for the UN who says he wants the gearbox and other parts. He has sent an email with various phone numbers in Israel, Lebanon, NY for 'UN offices' so we can 'check him out'. He says he will send a cheque and for us to wait for the cheque to clear before sending the parts abroad. Does anyone know about this particular scam if this is what it is? Or is there a website where I can ask someone since I have checked out lots of fraud and scam sites but have not seen this particular situation mentioned. TIACollapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:01
English to German
+ ...
Ask the UN Aug 4, 2005

If he is really working for the UN, the UN headquarters should be able to confirm.

Of course, it might be difficult to get through to the right person especially since this is a huge organization. However, I would give it a try.

In general, I would be very cautious if the person is from another country. The problem with checks is that your local bank might credit them before they have proof whether the check is covered or not. Once the check bounces, they withdraw the
... See more
If he is really working for the UN, the UN headquarters should be able to confirm.

Of course, it might be difficult to get through to the right person especially since this is a huge organization. However, I would give it a try.

In general, I would be very cautious if the person is from another country. The problem with checks is that your local bank might credit them before they have proof whether the check is covered or not. Once the check bounces, they withdraw the money credited plus compensations for any damages occurred.

I would really play it safe and find out whether he is telling the truth or not. Or offer him to pay by PayPal or WesternUnion.

HTH.

Sonja

[Edited at 2005-08-04 17:57]
Collapse

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
I think it might be genuine Aug 4, 2005

because the potential buyer has told you to wait till the check has cleared!

'Clearing a check' means that your bank - after receiving the check from you - checks out whether or not there's money to back this check up on the given account (and whether or not this check is a bogus one). Once your bank has said OK, there's no problem.

Depending on the country you live in, and other factors, 'clearing' may take several days. You should ask your bank about this period, an
... See more
because the potential buyer has told you to wait till the check has cleared!

'Clearing a check' means that your bank - after receiving the check from you - checks out whether or not there's money to back this check up on the given account (and whether or not this check is a bogus one). Once your bank has said OK, there's no problem.

Depending on the country you live in, and other factors, 'clearing' may take several days. You should ask your bank about this period, and then you should make sure that the check has actually been cleared by your bank, before you send the part.
Collapse

Tsu Dho Nimh
Tsu Dho Nimh
Local time: 22:01
English
SCAM - clearing takes weeks! Aug 5, 2005

Sanmar wrote:
He says he will send a cheque and for us to wait for the cheque to clear before sending the parts abroad. Does anyone know about this particular scam if this is what it is?

SCAM! It can take several weeks or more for an international check to actually "clear", as in the issuing bank paying the bank where the check was deposited.

Banking regulations usually force the bank to free the funds for use after a few days ... at this point, many people assume the check was good and ship the goods. WEEKS later, the bank says "give us back our money", and your parts are gone already.

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
That's exactly why you should ask your bank. Aug 5, 2005

[quote]Tsu Dho Nimh wrote:

SCAM! It can take several weeks or more for an international check to actually "clear", as in the issuing bank paying the bank where the check was deposited.

Banking regulations usually force the bank to free the funds for use after a few days ... at this point, many people assume the check was good and ship the goods. WEEKS later, the bank says "give us back our money", and your parts are gone already.

This may or may not take weeks, all depending on your country of residence, the bank on which the check is to be drawn etc.

But you should ask your bank, when the check would be cleared.

I still don't think this is a scam, since he asks you to wait until it has been cleared. Of course you should make absolutely sure that it has actually cleared.

Hirnholz (X)
Hirnholz (X)
Over-payment by counterfeit cheque Aug 6, 2005

This sounds like a well-known Nigerian "419" scam involving a counterfeit cheque, possibly for an excessive amount, and a request for repayment after the funds have been made available (but before it is discovered that the cheques is counterfeit).

[Edited at 2005-08-08 06:12]

davidgreen
davidgreen
German to English
agree with Hirnholz Aug 8, 2005

Post the letter on the 419eater.com forum - these guys have tons of experience and can tell you whether the name the guy's using and/or phone numbers have also already been used in scams. By the way, phone numbers showing up as NY or Israel, for example, could actually just be forwarding numbers all going to a different country. Lastly, whatever method of payment you actually wanted should be possible for someone "working for the UN".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this a scam or advice how to find out

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »