Darrell Champlin
Darrell Champlin  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:13
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 26, 2005

Hi everyone,

I just got this e-mail:

"We recently have determined that different computers have logged into your PayPal account, and multiple password failures were present before the login. One of our Customer Service employees has already tryed to telephonically reach you. As our employee did not manage to reach you, this email has been sent to your notice.
Therefore your account has been temporary suspended. We need you to confirm your identity in order to rega
... See more
Hi everyone,

I just got this e-mail:

"We recently have determined that different computers have logged into your PayPal account, and multiple password failures were present before the login. One of our Customer Service employees has already tryed to telephonically reach you. As our employee did not manage to reach you, this email has been sent to your notice.
Therefore your account has been temporary suspended. We need you to confirm your identity in order to regain full privileges of your account.
If this is not completed by June 28, 2005, we reserve the right to terminate all privileges of your account indefinitly, as it may have been used for fraudulent purposes. We thank you for your cooperation in this manner.
To confirm your identity please follow the link below:

(I OMIT THE LINK HERE)

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

PayPal - Customer Service

Please do not reply to this e-mail as this is only a notification. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered."
--------------------------------

It was obviously a scam (if nothing else is so obvious, simply notice the English).

Be on the lookout folks!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-26 18:07]
Collapse

de-ru-es-en
de-ru-es-en  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:13
Russian to German
+ ...
Simple English or other language - sign of fraudulent messages - data phishing Jun 26, 2005

Badly written messages sent fraudulently by customer care depts. of financial services providers demanding entering certain data are a sign of possible fraud.

Take a look as well at http://www.proz.com/topic/33561?post_id=237206

Rafa Lombardino
Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 23:13
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Tricky... Jun 26, 2005

I've received a couple of tricky ones recently, since they "masked" their address in order to have it showing "@paypal.com". Coincidentally, I had just registered my agency's information, so I even considered for a second that something could have gone wrong... But then I went to PayPal.com and checked everything out, it was all okay, and then I just tagged those messages as "junk mail"... I'm sorry for those who have clicked on the link given by that message, since their PayPal accounts got pro... See more
I've received a couple of tricky ones recently, since they "masked" their address in order to have it showing "@paypal.com". Coincidentally, I had just registered my agency's information, so I even considered for a second that something could have gone wrong... But then I went to PayPal.com and checked everything out, it was all okay, and then I just tagged those messages as "junk mail"... I'm sorry for those who have clicked on the link given by that message, since their PayPal accounts got probably exposed and all the money they had there (and maybe in their own bank account) could be subject to "cybertheft"...

P.S.: só agora percebi que era você, Tio Darrell!

[Edited at 2005-06-26 21:08]
Collapse

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
What I don't understand is... Jun 27, 2005

Why don't the stupid fraudsters get some natives to help them write their messages? I know I wouldn't do something like that, but I'm sure there are people who would.

Michèle Ménard
Michèle Ménard  Identity Verified
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
A fraud for sure Jun 27, 2005

... I got this same e-mail although I have no Paypal account!

mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 09:13
English to Russian
+ ...
may be fishing (or phishing) Jun 29, 2005

Seems to be fishing (or phishing) to get your private information and may be access to your paypal account.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PayPal fraud

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »