Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Got a hijack / adware / trojan and anti-virus doesn't work. Any ideas? ('system restore')
Thread poster: Edward Potter
Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:16
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still no Internet connection May 28, 2005

Well, I got rid of the problem described above through the instructions at the link Olaf left. Now I am getting this error:

Telfonica USB ADSL LAN Adapter
An installation support file 'C:\DOCUME~1\ELP\LOCALS~1\Temp\{ACF7DEA4-42CB-4d50-95c3-8cc85cb673a7}\_IsRes.dll' could not be installed.
Access is denied.

I'm also getting an error for a file in the same folder called isrt.dll.

Any ideas?

Francisco Pavez (X)
Francisco Pavez (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
When all else fails ... format Jun 17, 2005

A friend and I have an Internet Cafe and we run into this problem at least once a week. After many wasted hours of trying to fix each problem (and after completly crashing a couple of machines) we've opted for the most drastic and most effective solution.

1) back up all your information either on CDs or on to another HDD, all depends on the amount of information.

2) delete the primary partition.

3) create the primary partition.

4) format the HD
... See more
A friend and I have an Internet Cafe and we run into this problem at least once a week. After many wasted hours of trying to fix each problem (and after completly crashing a couple of machines) we've opted for the most drastic and most effective solution.

1) back up all your information either on CDs or on to another HDD, all depends on the amount of information.

2) delete the primary partition.

3) create the primary partition.

4) format the HDD.

5) load OS, drivers and programs.

6) configure internet access protocols.

7) upgrade and update your antivirus software (we use Panda Titanium). This is the most important part so it doesn't happen as often, it is never 100% because the time lag between a new virus and a vaccine can be up to 36 hours.

It's tedious, time consuming and if you don't do it correctly you end up with a very expensive paper weight, but its the only way to truly get rid of the problem.
Collapse

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:16
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
System restore did not fix the problem completely Jun 20, 2005

System restore did not completely fix the problem and I still did not have an Internet connection so I finally took the computer into the shop.

The people at the shop said they found a lot of spyware and removed it. Among the programs they used were BPS Spyware Removal, Huntersoft and AdAware. They did indeed fix the problem for good. Just so you'll know, they charged me about 70 euros.

The suggestion to format was beginning to become more and more viable before the
... See more
System restore did not completely fix the problem and I still did not have an Internet connection so I finally took the computer into the shop.

The people at the shop said they found a lot of spyware and removed it. Among the programs they used were BPS Spyware Removal, Huntersoft and AdAware. They did indeed fix the problem for good. Just so you'll know, they charged me about 70 euros.

The suggestion to format was beginning to become more and more viable before the fellows at the shop fixed it. I would have done it as a last resort.
Collapse

Francisco Pavez (X)
Francisco Pavez (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
: ) Jul 1, 2005

Glad it worked out. Its a shame though that it cost you that much money.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Got a hijack / adware / trojan and anti-virus doesn't work. Any ideas? ('system restore')

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »