Thread poster: Thierry LOTTE
Thierry LOTTE
Thierry LOTTE  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:52
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
May 6, 2005

Everytimes I switch off my computer (windows XP “home”, OS) I just have the time to read, as a very quick shadow ghost, just in a quick glance, the following :

“Closing Centinel.exe”

It just sounds like a spyware to me (for its title…) and I am wondering if it is really one of these bugging programs or not.

Maybe I am a little bit paranoid but EVERY DAY I use to run :

- Spybot Search
- Ad-Aware Se
- Panda Titanium
<
... See more
Everytimes I switch off my computer (windows XP “home”, OS) I just have the time to read, as a very quick shadow ghost, just in a quick glance, the following :

“Closing Centinel.exe”

It just sounds like a spyware to me (for its title…) and I am wondering if it is really one of these bugging programs or not.

Maybe I am a little bit paranoid but EVERY DAY I use to run :

- Spybot Search
- Ad-Aware Se
- Panda Titanium

Without any positive results about this so called “Centinel.exe”.
I have, of course tried to enter “Centinel” in the “search” (buscar, in Spanish) tool of my Windows XP Operating system. I did it “on line” and “off line” without any kind of results…

Is there something else I should do to identify this Pg ?

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Boris Kimel
Boris Kimel  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:52
English to Russian
+ ...
Sentinel May 6, 2005

(please note spelling) has to do with hardware keys (parallel port usually). If you don't use any, than you shouldn't have any sentinel drivers. If you do, than it's not clear why it shuts down at system start. Try to ask the supplier.

For spyware there's a Microsoft AntiSpyWare Beta free at MS site. Finds spyware and blocks it realtime.

Christian
Christian
English to German
+ ...
. May 6, 2005

If you think your computer is infected, you may follow the steps in this thread: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/8428 ("I think my computer in infected. What should I do?")

There are also lots of friendly guys and gals on this forum who are more than willing to help you get rid of possible malware on your machine.

HTH

Kind regards,
Christian

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Trados?? May 6, 2005

If its *S*entinel - it can be the driver of your Trados dongle, if you have one or had one installed.
Do you have this line in the registry,
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Rainbow Technologies\Sentinel System Driver ?
Florence

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 04:52
English to French
+ ...
not spyware May 6, 2005

Hola Thierry

I just found the answer for you online:

http://forums.techguy.org/t222306.html

looks like you need to uninstall and reinstall panda, some files in there are corrupt.

nothing to worry about though

Sarah

Thierry LOTTE
Thierry LOTTE  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tks to all May 6, 2005

Many thanks to all of you.
Sarah found the problem.

I have just received an update from my "Panda" and it seems that this is the source of the problem,

thanks to all of you for your nice help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unidentified Spyware ?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »