Thread poster: Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:37
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Mar 31, 2005

Get enough SPAM lately? Have you ever gone to a website that asks for your email address for no reason (other than they are going to sell it to the highest bidder so you get spam forever)?

Welcome to Mailinator(tm) - Its no signup, instant anti-spam service. Here is how it works: You are on the web, at a party, or talking to your favorite insurance salesman. Wherever you are, someone (or some webpage) asks for your email. You know if you give it, you're gambling with your privacy. O
... See more
Get enough SPAM lately? Have you ever gone to a website that asks for your email address for no reason (other than they are going to sell it to the highest bidder so you get spam forever)?

Welcome to Mailinator(tm) - Its no signup, instant anti-spam service. Here is how it works: You are on the web, at a party, or talking to your favorite insurance salesman. Wherever you are, someone (or some webpage) asks for your email. You know if you give it, you're gambling with your privacy. On the other hand, you do want at least one message from that person. The answer is to give them a mailinator address. You don't need to sign-up. You just make it up on the spot. Pick [email protected] or [email protected] - pick anything you want (up to 15 characters before the @ sign).

Later, come to this site and check that account. Its that easy. Mailinator accounts are created when mail arrives for them. No signup, no personal information, and when you're done - you can walk away - an instant solution to one way spammers get your address. Its an anti-spam solution for everyone. The messages are automatically deleted for you after a few hours.
Let'em spam.

Regards,
N. Raghavan

See:
http://www.mailinator.com/mailinator/Welcome.do
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:07
German to Spanish
Too complicated Mar 31, 2005

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

...Wherever you are, someone (or some webpage) asks for your email. You know if you give it, you're gambling with your privacy....

Why only one address?
I have over 20, or more. For each matter I do, I use one or other, if I feel one of then start to receive more spam as usual..., well, I delete it, is all.
My providers (3) have good working filters too.

Rgds

[email protected]

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
Local time: 09:07
English to German
+ ...
Thank you Mar 31, 2005

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

Welcome to Mailinator(tm) - Its no signup, instant anti-spam service. Here is how it works: You are on the web, at a party, or talking to your favorite insurance salesman. Wherever you are, someone (or some webpage) asks for your email. You know if you give it, you're gambling with your privacy. On the other hand, you do want at least one message from that person. The answer is to give them a mailinator address. You don't need to sign-up. You just make it up on the spot. Pick [email protected] or [email protected] - pick anything you want (up to 15 characters before the @ sign).

Later, come to this site and check that account. Its that easy. Mailinator accounts are created when mail arrives for them. No signup, no personal information, and when you're done - you can walk away - an instant solution to one way spammers get your address. Its an anti-spam solution for everyone. The messages are automatically deleted for you after a few hours.
Let'em spam.

Regards,
N. Raghavan

See:
http://www.mailinator.com/mailinator/Welcome.do

This is very nice of you. I am sure there are more people than me who appreciate your posting. I would of never thought of this.
Thank you and all the best to you! (-;
Andrea

[Edited at 2005-03-31 13:38]

Javier Herrera (X)
Javier Herrera (X)
Spanish
BT Yahoo Broadband's Address Guard Mar 31, 2005

This is a similar service. You may be interested if you want to change your ISP.
As Fernando says, it's better if you can choose as many addresses as you want. I've just created this one: [email protected] only for this particular forum and I won't display it anywhere else. If you write to me on that address, your message will be delivered to my normal inbox, and I'll be able to reply and choose if I
... See more
This is a similar service. You may be interested if you want to change your ISP.
As Fernando says, it's better if you can choose as many addresses as you want. I've just created this one: [email protected] only for this particular forum and I won't display it anywhere else. If you write to me on that address, your message will be delivered to my normal inbox, and I'll be able to reply and choose if I want my real address to be shown. I'll know what the address you wrote was. So if I use a different one for each website I log in, I'll know where the spam comes from. Then I'll be able to delete the address that's upsetting me and any messages sent to it will bounce back.

[Edited at 2005-03-31 14:16]
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:07
English to German
+ ...
That's handy Mar 31, 2005

Thanks, Narasimhan!

I just tested it and it worked.
I used to create hotmail accounts for these purposes, but to do so I had to click through a lot of advertising crap.

Mailinator works indeed instantly - without opening an account

Karin Kutscher
Karin Kutscher  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
That's great! Apr 1, 2005

A very neat idea.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are you worried about scam? You can now do something about it

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »