TRADL
TRADL
France
Local time: 15:18
English to French
+ ...
Nov 20, 2004

Hi all,

I've just bought a new hard disk to be able to copy/backup my data. The thing is my computer is struggling at the moment and I'd like to format it. Only my brother tells me I'll be losing all my emails, favorites, parameters etc. by doing this because they wouldn't be copied onto the new HD. I thought that absolutely everything would be copied to it (meaning I copy C: and that's it, all my PC is on the new HD). Has anyone done this before? Is it true? Can I safely format and
... See more
Hi all,

I've just bought a new hard disk to be able to copy/backup my data. The thing is my computer is struggling at the moment and I'd like to format it. Only my brother tells me I'll be losing all my emails, favorites, parameters etc. by doing this because they wouldn't be copied onto the new HD. I thought that absolutely everything would be copied to it (meaning I copy C: and that's it, all my PC is on the new HD). Has anyone done this before? Is it true? Can I safely format and then paste back what I have on the new HD with losing anything? Do I need to reinstall all my softwares after that?

Thank you for your enlightenment!

TRADL
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:18
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Don't Nov 20, 2004

Copying will not transfer all of the important data. You can back up your mail folders and your work, but not the programs or Windows itself. After formatting the hard disk you have to install Windows and all you programs and drivers anew. With your system there should be a recovery disk, which will do the job, but you'll get the original system without any updates.
And even if it could be done, you would only copy the problems too, so no use in that case. With Win98 I have restored the sy
... See more
Copying will not transfer all of the important data. You can back up your mail folders and your work, but not the programs or Windows itself. After formatting the hard disk you have to install Windows and all you programs and drivers anew. With your system there should be a recovery disk, which will do the job, but you'll get the original system without any updates.
And even if it could be done, you would only copy the problems too, so no use in that case. With Win98 I have restored the system many times, and it solved the problems nicely that had been piling up during use, but you always start from scratch.
There are backup utilities available which will help to save your important files.
Collapse

Xenia Wong
Xenia Wong  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Reformatting the Hard Disk Nov 20, 2004

I´ve had my office computers and personal PCs reformatted many times in the past due to viruses. The real Technicians know exactly how to copy your old hard disks into another computer, reformat yours and then copy everything back into your new reformatted disk. This includes saving your email addresses and emails. However, you will only loose ALL the programs that you´ve
installed, so there is where you have to do some work. For example: if you bought TRADOS via the net, you will ha
... See more
I´ve had my office computers and personal PCs reformatted many times in the past due to viruses. The real Technicians know exactly how to copy your old hard disks into another computer, reformat yours and then copy everything back into your new reformatted disk. This includes saving your email addresses and emails. However, you will only loose ALL the programs that you´ve
installed, so there is where you have to do some work. For example: if you bought TRADOS via the net, you will have to contact them to reinstall it. Good luck!
Collapse

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
PowerQuest DriveImage 7.0 Nov 20, 2004

Hi Tradl --

You don't say what software you've been using.

With PowerQuest DriveImage 7.0, I copy my drives (I keep the data on a different drive from the program files) onto an external HDD. The copy is absolutely complete. If my computer ever has a total and and irredeemable failure, I just have to buy a new computer and copy the drives from the external HDD onto the new computer.

With PartitionMagic, I can reformat my drives at will. It's a good idea to
... See more
Hi Tradl --

You don't say what software you've been using.

With PowerQuest DriveImage 7.0, I copy my drives (I keep the data on a different drive from the program files) onto an external HDD. The copy is absolutely complete. If my computer ever has a total and and irredeemable failure, I just have to buy a new computer and copy the drives from the external HDD onto the new computer.

With PartitionMagic, I can reformat my drives at will. It's a good idea to have the same partitions on your main HDD and the backup.

Best,
Esther

(I noticed I had made a mistake calling it DiskImage.)

[Edited at 2004-11-21 08:44]
Collapse

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
PowerQuest DriveImage 7.0 Nov 20, 2004

Hi,

I have been using DriveImage 7.0 from PowerQuest for a while now, and it's a good solution. With this software, you can easily make complete copies of any hard disk onto another disk (for example to an external hard disk which you can simply put into your safe when going on vacation). The program allows you to setup a schedule, e.g. partition C should be copied daily at 4 pm, partition D only Wednesdays at noon etc.

There have been rumours that this program will be
... See more
Hi,

I have been using DriveImage 7.0 from PowerQuest for a while now, and it's a good solution. With this software, you can easily make complete copies of any hard disk onto another disk (for example to an external hard disk which you can simply put into your safe when going on vacation). The program allows you to setup a schedule, e.g. partition C should be copied daily at 4 pm, partition D only Wednesdays at noon etc.

There have been rumours that this program will be not be further developed, meaning there will be no new version, which would be quite a shame as it's working very well.

Good luck and best regards,
Erik

Erik Hansson
Technical translator DE-SE
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Am Birkenwäldchen 38
D-01900 Bretnig-Hauswalde, Germany
Phone +49 - 3 59 52 - 321 07
Fax +49 - 3 59 52 - 322 02
E-Mail [email protected]
Internet www.hansson.de
Internet www.t-translators.net
Internet www.technical-translators.net
ProZ profile http://www.proz.com/pro/21654
Collapse

Mathew Robinson
Mathew Robinson
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:18
English
Why reformat? Nov 20, 2004

Creating a drive image will negate any benefits of reformatting, just as Heinrich said.

Why do you need to reformat your HD anyway? Is there a specific problem you are trying to resolve? Which version of Windows are you running?

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:18
Flemish to English
+ ...
Norton Ghost Nov 21, 2004

With Norton Ghost you can clone your CD.
Keep the copy in a safe place and when your hd fails, simply replace it with the clone. Then make a copy of the clone etc...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

External HD/copying my data

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »