Thread poster: achisholm
achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:24
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 10, 2004

I was very busy with some translation deadlines last week and so had no time to do any PC "housekeeping".

I noticed that on my main PC (the one that is connected to the internet and all my peripherals and is used essentially as a server - all other work being mostly done on 2 laptops and another PC connected to the "main" one through a WiFi metwork) has installed some icons in the control panel which relate to PC security. Namely:-
- PC security centre
- wireless netwo
... See more
I was very busy with some translation deadlines last week and so had no time to do any PC "housekeeping".

I noticed that on my main PC (the one that is connected to the internet and all my peripherals and is used essentially as a server - all other work being mostly done on 2 laptops and another PC connected to the "main" one through a WiFi metwork) has installed some icons in the control panel which relate to PC security. Namely:-
- PC security centre
- wireless network installation (this is new and so I assume comes with the above)
- Windows firewall

I should say that I have windows XP (running on all my machines) set to autodownload and install updates - something which has never given me problems of this nature in the past.

I have been using non-windows applications for the above tasks for the last couiple of years and haven't had any problems. I use Norton Antivirus 2004 and Zone Alarm as a firewall.

The firewall is the one that's causing me the most grief, since I spent ages getting ZoneAlarm to set up properly, i.e. keeping out intruders whilst letting my other PCs connect to each other through the WiFi network.

Has anyone else come accross what I've described above? Is there a way to disable and hopefully completely remove the Firewall component whilst leaving the antivirus intact (I assume the antivirus, even with Norton running) won't cause me too many problems. I've deactivated the firewall, but now I have an application tray ison which keeps popping up and telling me the computer may not be protected and won't go away.

What about the Install wireless network option, has any one used that? I will be changing ADSL providers in the next couple of weeks or so and so reinstalling and configuring my WiFi system.

Any advice/opuinions greatly qappreciated.
Collapse

LindaMcM
LindaMcM  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:24
Swedish to German
+ ...
Service Pack 2 Oct 10, 2004

Hi Alexander,

all this came to me through the SP2 update (Service Pack 2). As you have the auto update and installation enabled that seems to be the reason...
Unfortunately I have no idea how to get rid of it (I just disabled everything I found).

Linda

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 02:24
English to German
+ ...
srvice pack 2 Oct 11, 2004

LiMaBi wrote:

Hi Alexander,

all this came to me through the SP2 update (Service Pack 2). As you have the auto update and installation enabled that seems to be the reason...
Unfortunately I have no idea how to get rid of it (I just disabled everything I found).

Linda
is functioning fine with me - brandis

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:24
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
XP and ZoneAlarm fighting for control Oct 11, 2004

I believe if you want to go for the SP2 you should do a clean install of XP and look for something else than ZoneAlarm. Better use one package for firewall AND virus control.

I had last week a lot of problems with an XP-notebook and ZoneAlarm. There was a long list of fixes for XP, which made the system extremely unstable. I installed XP anew (and activated it over the phone - nice feature from Microsoft, these activations!) and got the ZoneAlarm with Anti Virus package. After that
... See more
I believe if you want to go for the SP2 you should do a clean install of XP and look for something else than ZoneAlarm. Better use one package for firewall AND virus control.

I had last week a lot of problems with an XP-notebook and ZoneAlarm. There was a long list of fixes for XP, which made the system extremely unstable. I installed XP anew (and activated it over the phone - nice feature from Microsoft, these activations!) and got the ZoneAlarm with Anti Virus package. After that I disabled the automatic update function for XP. I rather have a functioning system and a security program, that updates itself than those constant updates from Microsoft. If its not broken, don't fix it! In fact this notebook was still virusfree after a year of use with the old software.
Actually I'm using Win2000 on my main machine and I'm quite satisfied with it. I never care for updates to the system as long as it works.
Collapse

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:24
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
if the wifi set up feature works ... Oct 12, 2004

then I might be tempted to stick with the microsoft security software, otherwise I'd rather stick with the software I know and trust.

Basicaly, how well can microsoft be trusted to police themselves and expose holes in their own software? My worry is that if a big security breach comes along which microsoft can't find an easy and quick patch for, then they will simply refuse to make information about the problem public.

There's no problem having two AV programs running
... See more
then I might be tempted to stick with the microsoft security software, otherwise I'd rather stick with the software I know and trust.

Basicaly, how well can microsoft be trusted to police themselves and expose holes in their own software? My worry is that if a big security breach comes along which microsoft can't find an easy and quick patch for, then they will simply refuse to make information about the problem public.

There's no problem having two AV programs running on the same machine, but two firewalls is another matter, and I know from experience that its firewall configuration which will give me headaches when it comes to setting up and stably running my home wifi network.

I have in fact done as the above prozer suggested and simply disabled all the firewall settings, but I get an annoying popup reminder saying that the system is unprotected. Not a problem , just unsightly.

Cheers and many thanks for the comments and suggestions.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows PC security centre

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »