Anti-spyware software: what should I delete?
Thread poster: Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:08
French to English
+ ...
Sep 9, 2004

So I've been a good girl and installed Ad-Aware, and it's run a scan and found 234 objects, including lots of Data Miners and Malware. How do I know which ones to delete, and which ones should stay (if any)?

many thanks
Angela

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:38
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Delete all of them Sep 9, 2004

They have come without your knowledge. They have no business to be there.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

cologne
cologne  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:08
German to Swedish
+ ...
Everything Sep 9, 2004

Angela Dickson wrote:

So I've been a good girl and installed Ad-Aware, and it's run a scan and found 234 objects, including lots of Data Miners and Malware. How do I know which ones to delete, and which ones should stay (if any)?

many thanks
Angela

I have also installed Ad-aware and deleted all objects. There is of course good spyware (from Norton etc) but Ad-Aware doesn't include those on its list.

Carolyn Denoncourt
Carolyn Denoncourt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:08
French to English
+ ...
Delete them all with abandon Sep 9, 2004

I run AdAware regularly and delete everything with no ill effects. If you are concerned about deleting something useful, Check the Advance Options in your AdAware and choose the option to delete to the Recycle Bin. After doing that for a few weeks, I removed that setting as I found nothing I needed was ever deleted. By the way, you can right-click on the list of objects found and get a choice to "select all" for deletion. My advice is to update and run AdAware often. I am very pleased with... See more
I run AdAware regularly and delete everything with no ill effects. If you are concerned about deleting something useful, Check the Advance Options in your AdAware and choose the option to delete to the Recycle Bin. After doing that for a few weeks, I removed that setting as I found nothing I needed was ever deleted. By the way, you can right-click on the list of objects found and get a choice to "select all" for deletion. My advice is to update and run AdAware often. I am very pleased with the results in vastly decreasing pop-ups.Collapse

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 02:08
English to Spanish
Another tip... Sep 9, 2004

Besides supporting what has already been said (delete all detected spyware with confidence!), I wanted to suggest you to download Spybot Search & Destroy in addition to Ad-aware.

Although I have Ad-aware installed and run it periodically just in case, this software is in my opinion better, mainly because:

a) It's much faster. Ad-aware takes ages to complete a full scan of my system, whereas Spybo
... See more
Besides supporting what has already been said (delete all detected spyware with confidence!), I wanted to suggest you to download Spybot Search & Destroy in addition to Ad-aware.

Although I have Ad-aware installed and run it periodically just in case, this software is in my opinion better, mainly because:

a) It's much faster. Ad-aware takes ages to complete a full scan of my system, whereas Spybot takes about 3/4 to 1/2 of that time.

b) After running Spybot, I could never detect any spyware left by running Ad-aware afterwards. However, the reverse does not hold true.

c) It has other functions besides spyware removal, such as a preventive immunization and start-up analysis, which comes handy to disable unwanted applications.

d) You gotta love freeware that has support for 45 languages!

All in all, I keep both and run both, although I tend to run Spybot more often since it's faster.
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:08
Polish to English
+ ...
Kill 'em all Sep 9, 2004

The majority of junk caught by AdAware are more or less harmless cookies - all kinds of fastclicks, doubleclicks etc. which install themselves when you visit practically any commercial website.

You can always right click on a line to get the details for a particular data miner or whatever.

If feel unsafe, you can quarantine all the deleted files and restore them if something goes wrong.
After you finish scanning, you can click 'next', in which case AdAware delets
... See more
The majority of junk caught by AdAware are more or less harmless cookies - all kinds of fastclicks, doubleclicks etc. which install themselves when you visit practically any commercial website.

You can always right click on a line to get the details for a particular data miner or whatever.

If feel unsafe, you can quarantine all the deleted files and restore them if something goes wrong.
After you finish scanning, you can click 'next', in which case AdAware delets the files, or you can click 'quarantine'.
But nothing ever went wrong on my computer and I use AdAware regularly (once every few days).

HTH
Pawel Skalinski
Collapse

Raúl Waldman
Raúl Waldman
Argentina
Local time: 02:08
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What about the full version of AdAware? Sep 10, 2004

I've installed the free version of AdAware. It's great. But, what about buying the full version? Is it really worth paying for it?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anti-spyware software: what should I delete?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »