Thread poster: Thierry Jamez
Thierry Jamez
Thierry Jamez  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 10:53
English to French
+ ...
Aug 25, 2004

This is certainly a results-oriented topic! When my PC became slow, a few weeks ago, a friend of mine suggested that I download Ad-aware.(Ad-aware SE Personal Edition 1.03)
This free software is designed to provide advanced protection from known "data-mining, aggressive advertising, parasites, scumware, selected traditional trojans, dialers, malware, browser hijackers, and tracking components", many elements wherof I even ignored the existence.
The result was terrific, when I disco
... See more
This is certainly a results-oriented topic! When my PC became slow, a few weeks ago, a friend of mine suggested that I download Ad-aware.(Ad-aware SE Personal Edition 1.03)
This free software is designed to provide advanced protection from known "data-mining, aggressive advertising, parasites, scumware, selected traditional trojans, dialers, malware, browser hijackers, and tracking components", many elements wherof I even ignored the existence.
The result was terrific, when I discovered the amount of spams and other unexpected data which decelerated the pace of my PC.
The first scan had an immediate effect: it boosted the speed of my computer.
Try it!
Collapse

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:53
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Another useful tool Aug 26, 2004

Yes, I've been using the Adware programme for a while and find it useful. Another free tool is 'WinPatrol' (which can be downloaded for free from www.winpatrol.com). It is only a small, unobtrusive programme, but it gives you a great deal of information about all the processes running on your computer at any one time(more information than Windows TaskManager, for instance), giving you the chance to spot illegit... See more
Yes, I've been using the Adware programme for a while and find it useful. Another free tool is 'WinPatrol' (which can be downloaded for free from www.winpatrol.com). It is only a small, unobtrusive programme, but it gives you a great deal of information about all the processes running on your computer at any one time(more information than Windows TaskManager, for instance), giving you the chance to spot illegitimate programmes and to close them down. It was the only way I managed to get rid of some annoying adware that even 'Adware' couldn't help me with.Collapse

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
Local time: 10:53
French to English
+ ...
Pitstop Aug 26, 2004

Try a diagnostic test at www.pcpitstop.com to see if there are other additional reasons for the slowdown.

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nice, that pitstop! Aug 26, 2004

Amazing how much help there is out there, for free. Thanks for the pitstop-tip (now there's a tongue twister...).

VBaby
VBaby
English to French
+ ...
A few other tips Aug 26, 2004

Defragment your hard drive regularly.

Install a RAM optimisation utility. I use Cacheman (http://www.download.com/Cacheman/3000-2248-10216523.html?tag=lst-0-1). Alternatively, buy a memory upgrade.

Prevent programmes from accessing the Internet without your knowledge: some firewalls like ZoneAlarm alert you every time a programme tries to go
... See more
Defragment your hard drive regularly.

Install a RAM optimisation utility. I use Cacheman (http://www.download.com/Cacheman/3000-2248-10216523.html?tag=lst-0-1). Alternatively, buy a memory upgrade.

Prevent programmes from accessing the Internet without your knowledge: some firewalls like ZoneAlarm alert you every time a programme tries to go online to request your permission. It's a real eye-opener: as soon as you go online, all sorts of "update managers" surreptitiously start attempting to go on their little pre-programmed errands, consuming system resources.

Use resource-efficient applications: Opera browser instead of Internet Explorer, Outlook Express instead of Outlook, perfectly serviceable older versions of media players and instant messengers without all the superfluous, teenager-oriented bells and whistles.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can we speed up our computers?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »