Thread poster: Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:20
German to English
+ ...
Aug 14, 2004

On the outside chance that some of you may still have some old floppies and use AVG, be forewarned!

I inserted an old floppy in my a-drive the other day in order to download a couple of translated files for temporary safekeeping. The next morning my computer wouldn't boot up, so I took the floppy to a colleague to send the files to the client. When he inserted it into his computer, it showed that it was infected with the Monkey virus (remember the Monkey??...
See more
On the outside chance that some of you may still have some old floppies and use AVG, be forewarned!

I inserted an old floppy in my a-drive the other day in order to download a couple of translated files for temporary safekeeping. The next morning my computer wouldn't boot up, so I took the floppy to a colleague to send the files to the client. When he inserted it into his computer, it showed that it was infected with the Monkey virus (remember the Monkey?? I said it was an old disk...) His Norton cleaned it up.

At first, I didn't connect it with my computer failure, because I didn't think that the virus on the floppy would infect my hard drive... (The Monkey is a boot-sector virus that "hides" the contents of the hard disk.)

A computer tech and $200 later, everything is fine, but he had to get the "Killthemonk" cleanup file from an antivirus "museum" site!!

I had previously used McAfee and it identified and killed the Monkey on one my old disks. I will urge AVG to include the Monkey in their repertoire. I can't be the only one who still has 10-year-old floppies hanging around -- or can I?

Expensive lesson learned!
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 09:20
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Yeah, Aug 14, 2004

Trudy Peters wrote:
A computer tech and $200 later, everything is fine, but he had to get the "Killthemonk" cleanup file from an antivirus "museum" site!!

I think I will consider relocation to US and starting business as a computer cleaner:)
(I count myself only as an "advanced user", but only times I have needed outside help was recovering data from dead HDD):)

I had previously used McAfee and it identified and killed the Monkey on one my old disks. I will urge AVG to include the Monkey in their repertoire. I can't be the only one who still has 10-year-old floppies hanging around -- or can I?

Expensive lesson learned!

But if seriously, the lesson is: if you use cheap (or freeware) product, the result is equivalent to the price. I can recommend checking the Kaspersky site:
www.kaspersky com
This software in some 8 years I use it has not let through a single virus, besides they just started to release antivirus updates hourly and extraordinary updates in 30 minutes if a new virus appears. (This is not advertising, I have nothing to do with Kaspersky, except we use it for a very long time). The new version "5" has very simple interface and removes viruses as they enter your computer (earlier versions did it after the virus entered the mail program). The price here is about $ 100 for a year’s licence and about 25 for renewal. You can download trial version and for one month it will work as fully licensed version, after that antivirus update service will stop, but the rest of functions will work normally.

Uldis

[Edited at 2004-08-14 21:17]

Trudy Peters
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Uldis Aug 14, 2004

I actually pay for my AVG, and it has served me well so far, except for the Monkey! They update daily, but apparently didn't include some viruses that haven't been around for years...
I've heard many good things about AVG, incl. from some computer gurus.

The reason it cost me $200 is that I failed to tell him right away about the floppy!!(

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Yeah, Aug 14, 2004

but, as we have seen in recent epidemics, daily update (I don't know how things stand now, but only about a year ago even McAfee issued updates weekly) is not enough. In latest instances viruses have spread around the world in few hours or less, so daily update may be of little use...

Uldis

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:20
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Freeware Antivir is worth a try Aug 14, 2004

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:
But if seriously, the lesson is: if you use cheap (or freeware) product, the result is equivalent to the price.
[Edited at 2004-08-14 21:17]

It's a persistent rumour that only wellpaid antivirus software is the best.
In January Norton Antivirus got serious security problems with the live update

I used H+BEDV Antivir for years and it worked very well.
It's well known in Germany and
In fact http://www.chip.de/ shows good ratings.

http://www.free-av.com/
H+BEDV
Number of Downloads 3455887 !
13.320 ratings
95 % thumb up
5% thumb down

Trudy Peters
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Tuliparola Aug 15, 2004

I could get AVG for free, too, but opted for the paid version (cheaper than McAfee) for customer support.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I switched away from Antivir AVG too Aug 15, 2004

After Antivir emptied oll messages of my incoming mail folder because of one infected message I switched to Norman. During installation Norman found 5 virus infected files on my c-disc. Antivir never complained.
Norman also alarms when messages with viruses come in, which happens many times a day. Antivir never did, only once, when it destroyed all messages.
So I believe Antivir is rather weak indeed.
But so far I never had problems with viruses, Antivir hurt me more than all
... See more
After Antivir emptied oll messages of my incoming mail folder because of one infected message I switched to Norman. During installation Norman found 5 virus infected files on my c-disc. Antivir never complained.
Norman also alarms when messages with viruses come in, which happens many times a day. Antivir never did, only once, when it destroyed all messages.
So I believe Antivir is rather weak indeed.
But so far I never had problems with viruses, Antivir hurt me more than all viruses of the last 20 years.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

AVG antivirus program does NOT recognize Monkey virus

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »