Brazil
Local time: 09:43
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 3, 2004

I've just found this interesting website

http://www.aboutcookies.org

containing lots of useful information about cookies, for all operating systems and browsers.

Gianfranco

lien
lien
Netherlands
Local time: 14:43
English to French
+ ...
To manage your cookies Aug 3, 2004

a small (19kb) program very useful :

http://home.nordnet.fr/~pmdevigne/

look for Cookies manager.

I use it for a long time now, I couldn't do without it. You manage your cookies in 30 seconds. One column for the cookies you want to keep (like the one for proz), one column where the new ones come in and one column where you delete the ones you don't want.

[
... See more

I use it for a long time now, I couldn't do without it. You manage your cookies in 30 seconds. One column for the cookies you want to keep (like the one for proz), one column where the new ones come in and one column where you delete the ones you don't want.

[Edited at 2004-08-03 12:25]
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:13
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
But the last version of the cookies manager dates back to Nov 2000 Aug 3, 2004

Do you think that a version more than 3 years old will be useful still? Or are there newer updates?
Went ahead and downloaded it. It is amazing to see the vast number of cookies one accumulates over a short period.
Regards,
N.Raghavan
lien wrote:

[Edited at 2004-08-04 01:36]

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 05:43
English to French
+ ...
thanks! Aug 3, 2004

lien wrote:

thanks for the tip, I love it!

griccardi
griccardi
English to Italian
cookies are totally harmless Aug 3, 2004

what these stop-cookie-programs don't clearly say is that :

A WEBSITE CAN NOT READ COOKIES SET BY OTHER WEBSITES

i.e., proz cannot read cookies set by other sites.

it is true that cookies are useful for detecting web surfing habits, but only on the site who set them.

IN OTHER WORDS: proz can detect the pages you visit on proz, but CAN NOT in any way have a clue of the OTHER SITES YOU VISIT.

leave cookie on and don't waste your time
... See more

it is true that cookies are useful for detecting web surfing habits, but only on the site who set them.

IN OTHER WORDS: proz can detect the pages you visit on proz, but CAN NOT in any way have a clue of the OTHER SITES YOU VISIT.

leave cookie on and don't waste your time installing useless applications.
Collapse

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
cookies will always be cookies Aug 4, 2004

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

Do you think that a version more than 3 years old will be useful still? Or are there newer updates?

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Narasimhan, there is no need for updates, the cookies are still the same. Just try and you will see.

I think you are mistaken with spyware. I have a good tip for spyware : use the scanner on the panda website and pestpatrol, not something you buy, the pestpatrol scanner on their website too. It is guaranteed and safe, I swear it.

Pestscan is for the spyware :
http://www.pestscan.com/Scan.asp#

Panda is for checking all your computer for virus, even the ones which do not come with the mail :

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

I have my free grisoft antivirus that I update everyday, I scan with pestpatrol about once a month and the scanner on panda too. I never have a trojan or a virus.

To answer the usefulness of the program : after several years, if you don't do anything you will have thousands and thousands of cookies, sure for someone who surf a lot. They are harmless but totally useless and take space. I know they cannot spy on each other, but I do not need to have site XYZ I visited three years ago by mistake (clicking the wrong links) having a cookie on my computer.

[Edited at 2004-08-04 01:01]

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:13
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
I agree with you, but... Aug 4, 2004

It is true that a Website cannot read cookies set by other Websites. But the problem is there are Websites and Websites. With Proz we feel secure and their cookies are valuable to us to surf their pages fast during the subsequent visits. But then there are other not so harmless sites, whose cookies are not wanted. All right I visited them once. But I do not want to be constantly reminded about it. Let me explain. At present I am plagued by an adult site, whose home page has set itself as my defa... See more
It is true that a Website cannot read cookies set by other Websites. But the problem is there are Websites and Websites. With Proz we feel secure and their cookies are valuable to us to surf their pages fast during the subsequent visits. But then there are other not so harmless sites, whose cookies are not wanted. All right I visited them once. But I do not want to be constantly reminded about it. Let me explain. At present I am plagued by an adult site, whose home page has set itself as my default page. No amount of cleaning by AVG or Adaware helps in getting rid of that. I am wary of giving that url as I am afraid that by clicking it you too might get saddled. At present instead of opening internet explorer directly, I proceed through Google tool bar.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

griccardi wrote:

leave cookie on and don't waste your time installing useless applications.

Collapse

griccardi
griccardi
English to Italian
nothing to do with cookies Aug 4, 2004

i'm afraid no cookie-stopper will save you from that (and in fact it didn't) as that has nothing to do with cookies.

At present I am plagued by an adult site, whose home page has set itself as my default page.

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
default home page Aug 4, 2004

. Let me explain. At present I am plagued by an adult site, whose home page has set itself as my default page. No amount of cleaning by AVG or Adaware helps in getting rid of that. I am wary of giving that url as I am afraid that by clicking it you too might get saddled. At present instead of opening internet explorer directly, I proceed through Google tool bar.

Narsimhan, I read about your problem somewhere and how to solve it but I do not remember where exactly. I am asking around. It's a kind of a virus but only for that. It has a special name too, if I could remember you could find something on google to get rid of it.

Do not despair, we will find the solution.

ADD

I have it !

" It's a trojan. An AVG scan should be able to get rid of it.
|
| Otherwise, try:
|
| 1. CWShredder:
| http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/10/17/10-17-150.shtml
|
| 2. Hijack This:
|
http://www.siena.edu/antivirus/Spyware/hijackthis.htm "

[Edited at 2004-08-04 16:16]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Information about cookies

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »