Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:59
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Aug 18, 2011

Dear colleagues,

Half an hour ago I received a Mozilla Thunderbird update notice. "Two updates available," said Windows 7 on my 64bit laptop. Well, of course, I thought, and initialized the process. I thought that the message in the window was odd though, because Mozilla Thunderbird never calls itself "Mozilla Thunderbird Updates". I clicked OK anyway, and all of the sudden all virus alerts started flashing like crazy, and I could stop and remove: "TrojanDownloader:Win32/Tracur.Y"<
... See more
Dear colleagues,

Half an hour ago I received a Mozilla Thunderbird update notice. "Two updates available," said Windows 7 on my 64bit laptop. Well, of course, I thought, and initialized the process. I thought that the message in the window was odd though, because Mozilla Thunderbird never calls itself "Mozilla Thunderbird Updates". I clicked OK anyway, and all of the sudden all virus alerts started flashing like crazy, and I could stop and remove: "TrojanDownloader:Win32/Tracur.Y"

Has anyone experienced a similar occurrence?

Best regards,

Nicole Schnell
Collapse

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:59
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
once Aug 18, 2011

Some time ago all of the sudden I had a message on my laptop's screen: "Serious virus threat!! Do you want to protect your computer? Yes. No" The message looked like a Windows' message. Unfortunately I was stupid enough (it was late and I was tired), and in panic I clicked "yes". And then I couldn't get rid of that virus/trojan (which I downloaded by clicking 'yes'). Luckily, with the help of a smart IT guy I didn't loose any data and restored my laptop back to normal. A lesson learnt.
Ewa
... See more
Some time ago all of the sudden I had a message on my laptop's screen: "Serious virus threat!! Do you want to protect your computer? Yes. No" The message looked like a Windows' message. Unfortunately I was stupid enough (it was late and I was tired), and in panic I clicked "yes". And then I couldn't get rid of that virus/trojan (which I downloaded by clicking 'yes'). Luckily, with the help of a smart IT guy I didn't loose any data and restored my laptop back to normal. A lesson learnt.
Ewa

[Edited at 2011-08-18 12:53 GMT]
Collapse

Silvia Barra (X)
Silvia Barra (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:59
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes, both Aug 18, 2011

I experienced these two viruses just this week, despite anti-virus well functioning.
I had to restart my laptop in temporary modality and to create a reset point before the virus came.
The virus in the form of anti-virus was very hard to defeat, since it closed and blocked all programs on laptop.

Silvia

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:59
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
I was wondering Aug 20, 2011

Because this available update was shown on the system bar, related to my email program Thunderbird, and when I clicked on the balloon, all hell broke loose.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mozilla Thunderbird update a Trojan?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »