Thread poster: uFO
uFO
uFO  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 12:45
Korean to English
+ ...
Apr 4, 2004

In my hotmail account, I have been receiving notices about failed mail delivery to addresses I have never heard of for about a week now. Does it mean I have some kind of a virus in my system? I have Norton Antivirus installed plus I did an online scan with Panda Antivirus, but nothing suspicious was identified. I don’t use any mail programs, to check my messages I just go directly to the hotmail site. Any ideas what is it all about? Is it a new type of spam?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:45
English to German
+ ...
Impact of recent worm attacks Apr 4, 2004

Hi uFO,
Most of the recent worms spread over the web have "spoofing" capabilities, i.e. the sender addresses are fake.

What is likely to have happened in the cases you describe is that some worm used your address (presumably found on an infected computer) as sender's address and sent messages to non-existent or invalid addresses.

Normally, there shouldn't be anything to worry about. However, some of these notifications are fake, too, and carry a worm payload - whi
... See more
Hi uFO,
Most of the recent worms spread over the web have "spoofing" capabilities, i.e. the sender addresses are fake.

What is likely to have happened in the cases you describe is that some worm used your address (presumably found on an infected computer) as sender's address and sent messages to non-existent or invalid addresses.

Normally, there shouldn't be anything to worry about. However, some of these notifications are fake, too, and carry a worm payload - which is why I delete such messages without opening them.

HTH, Ralf
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:15
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Such mails use all sorts of disguises, take care. Things are not what they seem to be. Apr 4, 2004

I was minding my own business, namely browsing, when all of a sudden, there was a message saying that my AVG antivirus system had detected a Trojanhorse and invited me to update the AVG database by clicking OK in the dialog box. I just closed the box without doing anything, disconnected the internet and ran the AVG virus scan and needless to say no virus was detected.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

[Edited at 2004-04-07 02:49]

Ulrike Lieder (X)
Ulrike Lieder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:45
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Check your mail on your ISP's mail server before downloading Apr 4, 2004

For the past few weeks, I've been getting virus-infected mails on a daily basis. I also received some mails that purported to report a failed mail delivery (and some that purported to have been sent from my own address!). Fortunately, Norton has weeded out most of them. And I simply do not open any mails from senders whom I do not know.

I still have a dial-up connection (DSL not being available in our area, although I'm hoping for wireless broadband in the not-too-distant future), a
... See more
For the past few weeks, I've been getting virus-infected mails on a daily basis. I also received some mails that purported to report a failed mail delivery (and some that purported to have been sent from my own address!). Fortunately, Norton has weeded out most of them. And I simply do not open any mails from senders whom I do not know.

I still have a dial-up connection (DSL not being available in our area, although I'm hoping for wireless broadband in the not-too-distant future), and, as an added precaution, I have now started to check my e-mail via my ISP's webmail, especially first thing in the morning, before I download the mail that accumulated overnight. Any mails that I see on the server in my inbox that I don't recognize (or that I recognize as infected - these viruses do follow patterns), I simply delete on the server and don't even download.
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
What a relief to see that I'm not alone ! Apr 4, 2004

In the last couple of weeks I too received virus alert mails from two addresses both were completely unknown to me: sender warning me about an infected file received from my hotmail account. Needless to say, neither I sent such mails, nor could my antivirus stuff find any virus or worm. Still more weird, in my yahoo inbox I found a mail sent to me from my own hotmail account - with an attachment, of course. What I understand from the above... See more
In the last couple of weeks I too received virus alert mails from two addresses both were completely unknown to me: sender warning me about an infected file received from my hotmail account. Needless to say, neither I sent such mails, nor could my antivirus stuff find any virus or worm. Still more weird, in my yahoo inbox I found a mail sent to me from my own hotmail account - with an attachment, of course. What I understand from the above messages is that there's not much to be done. Or am I missing something?Collapse

uFO
uFO  Identity Verified
South Korea
Korean to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not much to be done Apr 4, 2004

That was my conclusion too, Xola. I just hope it will stop by itself at some point. As long as my clients are not getting viruses in attachements from me I can put up with it:-(

Nema
Nema  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same happened to me Apr 4, 2004

Hi

I also use hotmail and exactly the same happened to me, suddenly I started to receive failed mail delivery messages. Some weeks after, my email started to work slowly and, after some time , not only hotmail, my whole computer didn't work properly. I got a friend of mine to check it and he told me it was due to a virus.
I don't know whether the virus came from hotmail or not... I use panda. Don't wanna trouble you, but be careful with this.

claudia bagnardi
claudia bagnardi  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
It has been happening to me too! Apr 4, 2004

I have to delete almost 10 suspicious mails every day. Mailer Daemon, Hello, Hi, Your Picture, Your bill etc.etc.etc.
What a bore!
Claudia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

suspicious Mailer-Daemon

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »