Thread poster: engrus
engrus
engrus  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:53
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 15, 2004

Dear Colleagues,

I do apologize for asking this question in case it was already discussed before, but I did not seem to manage to find the right thread.
I am looking for a right backing up solution for all my files and programs. Ideally I would like to have all my data automatically backed up on a removable CD and then any changes updated on a daily basis. I would also like this to be simultaneously done on a small network of several computers.

I would be very tha
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

I do apologize for asking this question in case it was already discussed before, but I did not seem to manage to find the right thread.
I am looking for a right backing up solution for all my files and programs. Ideally I would like to have all my data automatically backed up on a removable CD and then any changes updated on a daily basis. I would also like this to be simultaneously done on a small network of several computers.

I would be very thankful if you could let me know what the best solution would be, what software you are using and could recommend for these purposes.

Thank you.
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 17:53
German to English
+ ...
Backup Mar 15, 2004

Hello,

you should try to minimize your risks.

Use RAID systems against hardware drive errors (but !: If you have a problem with your server, it can be very problematic to get access to your RAID system from another computer)

Backup daily all changed data. This helps against deleted files. You can copy all changed files every day on another hard disk.

Use tape backups against fire, water ,,,. (Store the tapes (every day another tape) on a differ
... See more
Hello,

you should try to minimize your risks.

Use RAID systems against hardware drive errors (but !: If you have a problem with your server, it can be very problematic to get access to your RAID system from another computer)

Backup daily all changed data. This helps against deleted files. You can copy all changed files every day on another hard disk.

Use tape backups against fire, water ,,,. (Store the tapes (every day another tape) on a different location)

With kind regards

Hans
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:53
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
I use external HDDs Mar 16, 2004

Hi,

After trying backup tapes, I moved to external HDDs. I use Iomega software.

Once the HDD is recognized by the system (you'd need a USB 2.0 port), install the backup software.

I can choose what it has to be backed up and when: every x minutes, every x hour, every day, at certain week days or whenever something is changed in the "tracked" folders. (existing files are updated).

I prefer this solution, as the software does everything automatica
... See more
Hi,

After trying backup tapes, I moved to external HDDs. I use Iomega software.

Once the HDD is recognized by the system (you'd need a USB 2.0 port), install the backup software.

I can choose what it has to be backed up and when: every x minutes, every x hour, every day, at certain week days or whenever something is changed in the "tracked" folders. (existing files are updated).

I prefer this solution, as the software does everything automatically and because I can plug / unplug the HDDs at any time.

Giuliana
Collapse

Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
External PocketDrive Mar 16, 2004

I also use an external hard disk - a LaCie FireWire and USB 2.0 40 Giga PocketDrive. It's ideal for me because I use a laptop and this device is easy to carry around - it only weighs about 300 g.

Sheila

[Edited at 2004-03-16 08:21]

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Quick & dirty solution Mar 16, 2004

I had two computers at home with local disks and a network. I set up Microsoft's backup to automatically back up drive in computer A to computer B and the other way round (skipping the backup of the other computer to avoid a loop). Worked like a breeze. That was a poor man's RAID (or even distributed storage system).

invguy
invguy  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 18:53
English to Bulgarian
The cheapest way :) Mar 16, 2004

... would be to use CD-RW and Windows' own backup utility (if you're on PC).

If you limit backup to your work folders only, that would presumably be more than enough for a translator: a rewritable CD's capacity of 650 MB is roughly equal to 650 million characters.

Else, you can do the same with a DVD burner. A 4.7-Gig rewritable DVD blank disc costs less than 2 bucks, and a good DVD burner would be less than $ 200.

I normally work with large graphic files (
... See more
... would be to use CD-RW and Windows' own backup utility (if you're on PC).

If you limit backup to your work folders only, that would presumably be more than enough for a translator: a rewritable CD's capacity of 650 MB is roughly equal to 650 million characters.

Else, you can do the same with a DVD burner. A 4.7-Gig rewritable DVD blank disc costs less than 2 bucks, and a good DVD burner would be less than $ 200.

I normally work with large graphic files (I'm basically a graphic designer), so my current solution is RAID plus regular selective (manual) archiving to CD-R. Been contemplating to switch over to DVD, though... it's been getting more and more difficult to keep track of all those CD-Rs
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Backing up data - looking for automated solution for small network

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »