Thread poster: Jana Teteris
Jana Teteris
Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:03
Latvian to English
+ ...
Mar 10, 2004

I recently upgraded to Windows XP, but cannot install Norton Anti virus 2004. I paid online for the download version, followed all the instructions carefully, but the installation failed. More specifically, the NAV 'Wizard' that should have appeared at the end of the installation, failed to appear and as a result I cannot use NAV. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program twice, but still encounter the same problem. I have also searched the NAV support pages and again followed the instru... See more
I recently upgraded to Windows XP, but cannot install Norton Anti virus 2004. I paid online for the download version, followed all the instructions carefully, but the installation failed. More specifically, the NAV 'Wizard' that should have appeared at the end of the installation, failed to appear and as a result I cannot use NAV. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program twice, but still encounter the same problem. I have also searched the NAV support pages and again followed the instructions, but to no avail.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? And if so, how did you resolve it? Any other recommendations would also be greatly appreciated.

[Edited at 2004-03-10 11:54]
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:03
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Restore sys and try again Mar 10, 2004

Hi,

I know that NAV installs some files in various parts of the system, difficult to be uninstalled if it wasn't actually completed sucessfully. This could be one of the reasons why installing it once more won't solve the problem.

The only thing I can think of is to restore your system to a previous point (any before you installed NAV 2004) and try again.

(I have Norton 2004 running on XP Home & Pro, but never had that problem.)

Giuliana

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Any previous versions installed? Mar 10, 2004

Did you have a previous version of Norton istalled before you acquired Norton 2004? Symantec recommend that you uninstall previous versions of NAV before installing a new one. If that's the case, you can try the NAV removal tool.
Go to the Symantec site and search for the NAV removal utility (Rnav2003.exe), which works with previous versions as well.
If this is not the case, have you tried uninstalling NAV 2004 using the the Windows uninstaller (add/remove programs)?
If this fa
... See more
Did you have a previous version of Norton istalled before you acquired Norton 2004? Symantec recommend that you uninstall previous versions of NAV before installing a new one. If that's the case, you can try the NAV removal tool.
Go to the Symantec site and search for the NAV removal utility (Rnav2003.exe), which works with previous versions as well.
If this is not the case, have you tried uninstalling NAV 2004 using the the Windows uninstaller (add/remove programs)?
If this fails, there is an article in the Symantec's knowledge base on how to remove NAV 2004 when the add/remove programs fails. The link is on the same page of the 2003 removal utility. Good luck!

Giovanni

[Edited at 2004-03-10 15:33]
Collapse

Jana Teteris
United Kingdom
Latvian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no previous version installed! Mar 10, 2004

This is a brand new computer, so I don't have any previous NAV versions installed. I already used the add/remove programs function, so I'll now try Giovanni's final suggestion. But what worries me is that the installation didn't work the first (or 2nd, or 3rd) time. Could it be a system problem?

Incidentally, although I have broadband Internet access, the download took over an hour and it also timed out when I downloaded the program for the first time. Could this have affected so
... See more
This is a brand new computer, so I don't have any previous NAV versions installed. I already used the add/remove programs function, so I'll now try Giovanni's final suggestion. But what worries me is that the installation didn't work the first (or 2nd, or 3rd) time. Could it be a system problem?

Incidentally, although I have broadband Internet access, the download took over an hour and it also timed out when I downloaded the program for the first time. Could this have affected something?
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Ah! Mar 10, 2004

Jana Teteris wrote:
Could it be a system problem?

I doubt it.

Incidentally, although I have broadband Internet access, the download took over an hour and it also timed out when I downloaded the program for the first time. Could this have affected something?

Probably! Download again the program, use the NAV 2004 removal utility in case the previous failed installation littered the system with bits of NAV 2004, and then try and reinstall it. I don\'t see why it shouldn\'t work.

Giovanni

Jana Teteris
United Kingdom
Latvian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 10, 2004

Fingers crossed.......I'll give it a go!

cdcox
cdcox
English
what a pain Mar 14, 2004

Just built a p4 2.6 ghz for my mom and her husband. Win xp home all set up. took it over and hooked up the dsl modem and configured the internet. All ws going smooth, UNITL I installed Norton 2004 antivirus. Would not install, followed the directions for program starts and shuts down after a few seconds on symantec's website, with no fix. Uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times with the same effect. Did a system restore to an earlier point in the day and left nortons off. Also notice now that if I g... See more
Just built a p4 2.6 ghz for my mom and her husband. Win xp home all set up. took it over and hooked up the dsl modem and configured the internet. All ws going smooth, UNITL I installed Norton 2004 antivirus. Would not install, followed the directions for program starts and shuts down after a few seconds on symantec's website, with no fix. Uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times with the same effect. Did a system restore to an earlier point in the day and left nortons off. Also notice now that if I go to msconfig screen, it will also open and when I go to do something in any tab, it will close by itself. It's like nortons corrupted windows? I reloaded windows with no fix in the msconfig screen. I told him to use it for a week and if anything funny happens, I reformat and start again and leave nortons far from this machine. I also tried to load 2002 onto it and it did not work correctly either. Any help or other info than what symantec says will work, (whatever) is appreciated. By the way, this was a retail version bought from a store not a download. It seems they know about install problems but don't know how to fix them yet.Collapse

cdcox
cdcox
English
Nortons gone bad Mar 14, 2004

Same problem on a new machine with a retail ver of nortons 2004. Uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times. followed all instructions on symantec's website about problems with install and then program not working, with no fix. finally uninstalled and did a sys restore. Know windows seems to act funny ex: open msconfig and went to start up tab to disable anything found left by nortons and the config utility closes on it's own before I can do anything. Any suggestions is appreciated because symantec doe... See more
Same problem on a new machine with a retail ver of nortons 2004. Uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times. followed all instructions on symantec's website about problems with install and then program not working, with no fix. finally uninstalled and did a sys restore. Know windows seems to act funny ex: open msconfig and went to start up tab to disable anything found left by nortons and the config utility closes on it's own before I can do anything. Any suggestions is appreciated because symantec doesn't know how to fix it.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem installing Norton anti-virus 2004 (download version) on Windows XP

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »