Thread poster: Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:22
German to English
Jan 8, 2004

Hello everyone,
Yesterday it started taking much longer to open a file in MS Word because a virus scan is initiated each time. Is anyone familiar with Norton and how to tell Norton not to scan MS Word every time I want to open a file?
Help appreciated, Kim

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:22
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try this Jan 8, 2004

Open NAV, and from Options (top bar) select "Other", "Various" and in the box on the right make sure the option "How to Protect MS Office Documents" - "Activate Office Plug in" is not checked.

Mind you, this is a quick translation because I have it in Spanish!
HTH!

Regards,
Andrea

Matthew Coulson
Matthew Coulson  Identity Verified
Albanian to English
+ ...
It is a good thing this is happening. Jan 8, 2004

Although it is taking longer to open MS-Word files this is for your protection. There is a thing call a Macro Virus that can effect MS-Word documents. If one of your documents contains a Macro Virus it can do all sorts of harm to your computer. It is much better if you just allow your computer to be a little slow opening MS-Word documents due to this rather than disabling this protection. You can think of this as a good reason to get up and get some more coffee or stretch. Think of this as a lit... See more
Although it is taking longer to open MS-Word files this is for your protection. There is a thing call a Macro Virus that can effect MS-Word documents. If one of your documents contains a Macro Virus it can do all sorts of harm to your computer. It is much better if you just allow your computer to be a little slow opening MS-Word documents due to this rather than disabling this protection. You can think of this as a good reason to get up and get some more coffee or stretch. Think of this as a little break that you get to take occasionally rather than a hinderance.

Matthew Coulson
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:22
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
NAV has become extremly slow after the last definition update Jan 8, 2004

Hi Kim!

You are not the only one with this problem. After the yesterdays update of virus definitions it takes now ages to open a Word document. But Word opens it finally, so I would not change the NAV setting to avoid virus scan at opening.
Most probably this issue will be solved with the next virus definition update, but nevertheless I´ll try to report this to Symantec. I would suggest you do the same - and any other of us, affected by this problem.

Kind regards
... See more
Hi Kim!

You are not the only one with this problem. After the yesterdays update of virus definitions it takes now ages to open a Word document. But Word opens it finally, so I would not change the NAV setting to avoid virus scan at opening.
Most probably this issue will be solved with the next virus definition update, but nevertheless I´ll try to report this to Symantec. I would suggest you do the same - and any other of us, affected by this problem.

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Andrea Ali
Argentina
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Absolutely Jan 8, 2004

Matthew Coulson wrote:

Although it is taking longer to open MS-Word files this is for your protection. There is a thing call a Macro Virus that can effect MS-Word documents. If one of your documents contains a Macro Virus it can do all sorts of harm to your computer. It is much better if you just allow your computer to be a little slow opening MS-Word documents due to this rather than disabling this protection. You can think of this as a good reason to get up and get some more coffee or stretch. Think of this as a little break that you get to take occasionally rather than a hinderance.

Matthew Coulson

Only that when you are dealing with huge documents, you might even take a nap!

But you are completely right and eventhough I hate it, I always keep it activated!

Cheers,
Andrea

Andrea Ali
Argentina
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just yesterday? Jan 8, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Hi Kim!

Kind regards
Jerzy

I noticed this quite a while ago...

Glad I am not the only one! I was about to kick my computer!

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This started with the yesterday update Jan 8, 2004

I´m using Norton Internet Security 2003 Pro.
Befor yesterday everything worked fine, the documents opened "normal", but since I installed that yesterday update, documents (even small ones, and rtf above all) take ages to open.

Kind regards
Jerzy

Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
I tend to think like Jerzy... Jan 8, 2004

... that this is somewhat related to the latest Norton VD update. Maybe Andrea downloaded it a few days before the rest, but it looks like it is definitely related to that.

Word was horribly slow in my PC yesterday, but today it works fine. An X-file? No, Sir... Microsoft.

Rb

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:22
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Norton Anti-virus scan Jan 8, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Befor yesterday everything worked fine, the documents opened "normal", but since I installed that yesterday update, documents (even small ones, and rtf above all) take ages to open.

Kind regards
Jerzy

Thanks everyone. Yes, my problem also started yesterday shortly after I updated the program (Norton Antivirus 2003). I never had the problem before, so I think Jerzy's right - must be a glitch that will be corrected soon.
Kim

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Word 2003 Jan 8, 2004

If you are using or you are thinking to change to Word 2003, pay attention, the new way to handle documents based in XML makes very difficult to detect a Macro virus.
I use before Norton but I feel month after month my computer getting slower ? so I delete it and use now Antivir a Free Software.

mishima (X)
mishima (X)
Local time: 13:22
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Update now Jan 9, 2004

Kim Metzger wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Kind regards
Jerzy

Thanks everyone. Yes, my problem also started yesterday shortly after I updated the program (Norton Antivirus 2003). I never had the problem before, so I think Jerzy's right - must be a glitch that will be corrected soon.
Kim

I was another one to have this problem, but this morning I connected to the Norton server in the hope to find a new update and the program was updated indeed: all fixed now.

Mishima

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Check of loading time Jan 9, 2004

Loading time of an empty document before today's update: 13 seconds
Loading time of same document after updating: 7 seconds

Quite a difference, and there was nothing to scan!

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
comon problems.. Jan 9, 2004

If it takes ages to open a document it´s probably due to the scan settings.
You can set the scan settings to scan any files comming in or going out of your systeem

example: Scan incomming files - scans the files as they are put on your disk

Scan outgoing files - scans the files when they are opened; technically the files were already scanned when they were put on your disk, so they should be virus free ... if you keep you signature files up to date...

... See more
If it takes ages to open a document it´s probably due to the scan settings.
You can set the scan settings to scan any files comming in or going out of your systeem

example: Scan incomming files - scans the files as they are put on your disk

Scan outgoing files - scans the files when they are opened; technically the files were already scanned when they were put on your disk, so they should be virus free ... if you keep you signature files up to date...

solution: scan incomming files only, and run a full scan once every X time,
Maybe this setting has changed with the new signatures, I cannot verify, since I´m not running NAV anymore...

Ed Vreeburg
Translate ED
Dutch Translator and IT expert
Collapse

Joop Fraikin (X)
Joop Fraikin (X)  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Problem solved Jan 9, 2004

Hi all,

I had the same problem yesterday. However, today the problem seems to be solved. I made no changes to any of my program settings and there were no virus definitions updates this morning.

So... who solved this problem for us?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
These are not the settings Jan 9, 2004

As they did not change - sorry, but you seem not to understand the problem.
Without changing anything, only updating the virus definitions made Word slow in opening documents. Not even only Word - any other application, where files are scanned before opening needs longer.
The only change are the new definitions from Symantec - so this is obvious, that the error must be there.
And it still takes ages to open a document...
Not due to scanning settings - as scan outgoing doc
... See more
As they did not change - sorry, but you seem not to understand the problem.
Without changing anything, only updating the virus definitions made Word slow in opening documents. Not even only Word - any other application, where files are scanned before opening needs longer.
The only change are the new definitions from Symantec - so this is obvious, that the error must be there.
And it still takes ages to open a document...
Not due to scanning settings - as scan outgoing documents affects only E-mail...

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Norton Anti-virus scan

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »