Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 05:34
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Disabling both macros in Word and Office Plugin in NAV Jan 9, 2004

How about disabling both macros in MS Office applications (in Word go to: Tools - Macro - Security) and the Office Plugin in NAV (see Andrea Ali's post)? This way, MS Office documents won't be checked automatically before opening (no more waiting) and Word won't execute any macrovirus.

Of course, this makes sense only if you don't open MS Office documents containing harmless macros from unknown sources too often. You will still be able to scan any MS Office documents manually.
... See more
How about disabling both macros in MS Office applications (in Word go to: Tools - Macro - Security) and the Office Plugin in NAV (see Andrea Ali's post)? This way, MS Office documents won't be checked automatically before opening (no more waiting) and Word won't execute any macrovirus.

Of course, this makes sense only if you don't open MS Office documents containing harmless macros from unknown sources too often. You will still be able to scan any MS Office documents manually.

Or is there any other disadvantage I don't see?
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:34
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Solution Jan 9, 2004

I experienced the same problem.

Right click on Norton Anti-Virus at the bottom of your screen.

Select "OPEN NORTON ANTI-VIRUS"

Select "OPTIONS"

Select "MISCELLANEOUS" (under OTHER)

Deselect the option: "ENABLE OFFICE PLUG-IN"

Desi_vdb
Desi_vdb
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:34
Dutch to English
+ ...
norton slow when expired Jan 15, 2004

If norton is slow, check if it isn't expired. That is a problem with it. It can actually make your whole system incredibly slow.

David Bean
David Bean
Local time: 04:34
German to English
+ ...
Found solution to Norton slowdown Jan 18, 2004

Many of us have experienced performance problems after the update from Norton Antivirus last week. I’ve had long delays especially when I right-click on a folder. Woody’s Lounge seems to have found the solution to the problem (http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/wwwthreads.pl). I’m excerpting from two messages below:

Norton Anti-Virus has been widely reported as triggerin
... See more
Many of us have experienced performance problems after the update from Norton Antivirus last week. I’ve had long delays especially when I right-click on a folder. Woody’s Lounge seems to have found the solution to the problem (http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/wwwthreads.pl). I’m excerpting from two messages below:

Norton Anti-Virus has been widely reported as triggering slow performance problems. These have been traced to the expiry of a Verisign SSL certificate. This may take the form of Word or the Office Shortcut Bar being slow to load. A fuller set of details is at Slashdot.

If you have the Office plug-in for Norton Anti-Virus enabled, it may help if you uncheck the box and disable it.

And:

I had that exact problem after the updates.

Symantec Tech Support had me go to: IE tools>Internet options>advanced>Security and UNcheck the "check for publishers certificate revocation" box. It worked like a charm after that. They advised to go back after a few days and check the block again. Apparently ther was a outdated certificate hanging around and that's what did it.

Hope this solution works for you, too.

David
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Norton Anti-virus scan

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »