Spam: "Virus entfernt] Use this patch immediately !"
Thread poster: Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:28
Italian to German
Nov 29, 2003

hi all, for some weeks I've been getting lots of mails starting with "Virus entfernt]" and going on either "Use this patch immediately !" or "Thank you" or so on.
The few references on the web are only for insiders: they say you must remove the registries from your computer. Well, apart from the fact that I have no clue how to do that, I use my e-mail (web.de) on several computers, and those spams arrive every day, so I think it's an e-mail problem.
Who can help?? ...
See more
hi all, for some weeks I've been getting lots of mails starting with "Virus entfernt]" and going on either "Use this patch immediately !" or "Thank you" or so on.
The few references on the web are only for insiders: they say you must remove the registries from your computer. Well, apart from the fact that I have no clue how to do that, I use my e-mail (web.de) on several computers, and those spams arrive every day, so I think it's an e-mail problem.
Who can help??
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:28
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Dumaru-A Nov 29, 2003

Hi Martin,

are you sure that it is spam??

Web.de offers virus protection on server, therefore I believe that Web.de AV has removed the virus from the mails you got.

?

Giuliana

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Worm Nov 29, 2003

Hi Martin,
I believe Giuliana is right - this reference line is characteristic for a couple of e-mail worms, notably Dumaru in its various types.

More info is available on the Symantec website.

HTH, Ralf

Martin Schmurr
Italian to German
TOPIC STARTER
sorry, everybody thinks I'm a computer professional Nov 29, 2003

but in fact of all what they say on the Symantec website I don't understand a thing. What can I do?

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:28
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Martin, you are a Mac user... Nov 29, 2003

Dumaru isn't a problem for you.

Anyway, scrivimi in privato

Giuliana

Martin Schmurr
Italian to German
TOPIC STARTER
I do use Mac in the office but Dec 1, 2003

I don't open my e-mail there, I open it only on PCs!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spam: "Virus entfernt] Use this patch immediately !"

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »