Thread poster: Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:50
Russian to English
+ ...
Jun 6, 2009

I read some time back about how people who are very careful about their passwords for websites, making sure there's a secure connection for relaying financial data, etc., will still send sensitive financial info by email without a second thought. I can't remember where I read this, but recently I found myself doing exactly that. A client wanted my bank account info to send payment, so I cheerfully sent it by email.

Is there really a problem with this? My computer-expert son explaine
... See more
I read some time back about how people who are very careful about their passwords for websites, making sure there's a secure connection for relaying financial data, etc., will still send sensitive financial info by email without a second thought. I can't remember where I read this, but recently I found myself doing exactly that. A client wanted my bank account info to send payment, so I cheerfully sent it by email.

Is there really a problem with this? My computer-expert son explained how complicated it is to encrypt (and un-encrypt) email -- both at the sender's end and the receiver's end.

Perhaps the best thing to do is avoid email and use the telephone, but that can be costly, and I wonder if it's worth it.

Thanks,
Susan
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 04:50
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Bank account Number is no secret Jun 6, 2009

Anyone of us when trying to join/prolong ProZ membership see ProZ.com bank info. And what?

Uldis

Susan Welsh wrote:
A client wanted my bank account info to send payment, so I cheerfully sent it by email.

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Local time: 03:50
-- Jun 6, 2009

I assume you only gave your client the name of the account holder, sort code and account number.

I may be wrong, but I don't think this info alone would be of much use to any fraudster.

But I would certainly avoid sending my credit card number together with the security code to somebody.

[Edited at 2009-06-06 17:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-06-06 17:16 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

sending financial info via email

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »