Thread poster: Caroline Lakey
Caroline Lakey
Caroline Lakey  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:50
French to English
Apr 20, 2009

Hello,

I hope someone may be able to offer me some advice on an issue that's appeared this morning.

I've just come back from a 2 week holiday, during which my pc has been totally switched off. This morning, my Bitdefender Antivirus 2009 has found a virus - this is the first time this has happened to me (I think I've probably been lucky so far!). The antivirus software cannot delete or quarantine the infected file, which is Microsoft\Word\DEMARRAGE\wordfast.dot . I
... See more
Hello,

I hope someone may be able to offer me some advice on an issue that's appeared this morning.

I've just come back from a 2 week holiday, during which my pc has been totally switched off. This morning, my Bitdefender Antivirus 2009 has found a virus - this is the first time this has happened to me (I think I've probably been lucky so far!). The antivirus software cannot delete or quarantine the infected file, which is Microsoft\Word\DEMARRAGE\wordfast.dot . I downloaded Wordfast a few months ago, and use it occasionally but not on a regular basis as yet.

I've had a look through the forum and there is one discussion on a similar issue, but it dates from 2007 and didn't really seem to get to resolve the problem.

I've checked Bitdefender's website, but the virus is not on their list. Googling brought up a low risk virus from 2005 with the same name on the McAfee website. For the moment, my pc seems to be working fine (although broadband is behaving strangely, but I guess that's a coincidence? - unfortuntately broadband problems aren't that unusual here!). Would anyone be able to advise me on what I should do?

Many thanks,

Caroline
Collapse

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
uninstall WordFast Apr 20, 2009

What about
- uninstallng WordFast - you don't use it on a daily basis anyway
- then run BitDefender again
- if still problems remove WordFast manually

Or find a cure from any other AV supplier, even with a 30 day trial version you should be able to remove the virus.
- removing/uninstalling (and possibly reinstalling) WordFast would be a good idea anyway.

The problems with your internet are probably related to the virus by the way...
(althou
... See more
What about
- uninstallng WordFast - you don't use it on a daily basis anyway
- then run BitDefender again
- if still problems remove WordFast manually

Or find a cure from any other AV supplier, even with a 30 day trial version you should be able to remove the virus.
- removing/uninstalling (and possibly reinstalling) WordFast would be a good idea anyway.

The problems with your internet are probably related to the virus by the way...
(although I haven't looked up Kukudro for details)

---
Ed
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Bitdefender Apr 20, 2009

Hello Caroline,

You should have a look at recent posts on the Wordfast French yahoo goup - several other users are having a similar problem. Bitdefender has wrongly defined wordfast.dot as a virus.

I also had this problem with F-Secure a long time ago, and I was able to include wordfast.dot in the list of exceptions - now everything works ok. I'm not sure how to do that in Bitdefender because I don't use it.

A quick google search shows that kukudro is a
... See more
Hello Caroline,

You should have a look at recent posts on the Wordfast French yahoo goup - several other users are having a similar problem. Bitdefender has wrongly defined wordfast.dot as a virus.

I also had this problem with F-Secure a long time ago, and I was able to include wordfast.dot in the list of exceptions - now everything works ok. I'm not sure how to do that in Bitdefender because I don't use it.

A quick google search shows that kukudro is a virus that comes with a macro, and Wordfast.dot is a macro, so your Bitdefender is probably just being over-sensitive and needs to be reassured
Collapse

Helen B (X)
Helen B (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Same problem here Apr 20, 2009

Hello,

I had exactly the same problem yesterday when my antivirus (Gdata) all of a sudden found this kukudro virus and said it could not delete it. I went into the startup folder where wordfast.dot is saved, deleted various clean-up reports and files that should not have been there anyway and relaunched a virus search. This time the antivirus did not detect anything.

Like Lori, I came to the conclusion that my antivirus was probably overreacting.

[Edited at 2009-
... See more
Hello,

I had exactly the same problem yesterday when my antivirus (Gdata) all of a sudden found this kukudro virus and said it could not delete it. I went into the startup folder where wordfast.dot is saved, deleted various clean-up reports and files that should not have been there anyway and relaunched a virus search. This time the antivirus did not detect anything.

Like Lori, I came to the conclusion that my antivirus was probably overreacting.

[Edited at 2009-04-20 18:08 GMT]
Collapse

Caroline Lakey
Caroline Lakey  Identity Verified
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem seems to be solved Apr 21, 2009

Many thanks to you all for your help.

BitDefender seems to have solved the problem now. I have lost Wordfast in the process, but as that's not a big issue for me I'll install it again when I'm a little less busy.

Once again, thanks for your help!

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:50
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
problem not solved Apr 30, 2009

Bitdefender (Internet Security 2009) did not resolve any problem, as far as I can see. I have excluded all folders that contain worfast.dot from scanning (the original zip, the folder to which I extracted it, a new download of wordfast). I also excluded the temp folder where wordfast.dot goes during installation of wordfast (user>appdata>local>temp in Vista). Nothing helps: the macro won't run. I am not sure when this first showed up, it's a couple of weeks ago, I believe, that BD all of a sudd... See more
Bitdefender (Internet Security 2009) did not resolve any problem, as far as I can see. I have excluded all folders that contain worfast.dot from scanning (the original zip, the folder to which I extracted it, a new download of wordfast). I also excluded the temp folder where wordfast.dot goes during installation of wordfast (user>appdata>local>temp in Vista). Nothing helps: the macro won't run. I am not sure when this first showed up, it's a couple of weeks ago, I believe, that BD all of a sudden marked this as a virus. I have had Wordfast installed for almost a year.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bitdefender, Wordfast and kukudro virus

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »