Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Think twice about disclosing your personal info on Facebook, MySpace, Twitter etc.
Thread poster: Monika Coulson
Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:43
Dutch to English
+ ...
Linkedin May 20, 2009

Taija Salo wrote:

I was thinking of putting a business profile of Facebook - with pretty much the same info I have on my profile here, conservative, no photos, not collecting friends hysterically and joining funny groups... bad idea? What do you think, could this promote freelancing?

As I have never been there, I have no idea whether people put profiles there for business purposes and would it even be possible, or worth the trouble.

Edit. The same for MySpace!

[Edited at 2009-02-06 04:53 GMT]

Linkedin is more suitable for a business profile. It is business-orientated and mostly used for networking among professionals.

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Personal info May 20, 2009

Frankly, my life's so shit at the moment, they're welcome to it.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 23:43
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Personally, I prefer to call it FAKEBOOK. May 20, 2009

++

Tracy Greenwood
Tracy Greenwood  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:43
Japanese to English
Same goes 1000x for your children May 20, 2009

For parents out there, be extra careful when making a blog about your child. Sure, your child is gorgeous and smart and funny, but predators are always looking for ways to find new victims.

I will not name names, but I have seen blogs of family members who give out everything a predator would need to know to kidnap their child.

Name, birthdate, likes, dislikes, etc.
They did not give up their address, but they did have a picture of the child in front of their h
... See more
For parents out there, be extra careful when making a blog about your child. Sure, your child is gorgeous and smart and funny, but predators are always looking for ways to find new victims.

I will not name names, but I have seen blogs of family members who give out everything a predator would need to know to kidnap their child.

Name, birthdate, likes, dislikes, etc.
They did not give up their address, but they did have a picture of the child in front of their home, with the address in plain site. Then there was a map utility showing almost the exact location of the family's home.

Sorry to be all scary and stuff, but I was in the Wayne County prosecutor's office during law school, and part of my job was to investigate identity theft. ID Thieves and predators have such an easy time because people think that Grandma is the only one looking at their baby's web site. The thing is, you don't know who is looking unless you're fairly savvy on the internet.

Just be careful out there, folks. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they can't see you!

T
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sorry to hear that May 20, 2009

Susanna Garcia wrote:

Frankly, my life's so shit at the moment, they're welcome to it.

But it was probably this week's best forum posting.

Tracy Greenwood
Tracy Greenwood  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:43
Japanese to English
This kid got busted - and totally deserved it! May 20, 2009

Today, my parents, who are out of town but driving back tomorrow, called to see how I was doing. While they were gone I threw a party, but when asked I told them no, to which my dad responded " Well I'm currently looking at pictures on facebook of our kitchen with beer and a bong on the table." FML

The takeaway is: be careful what you
... See more
Today, my parents, who are out of town but driving back tomorrow, called to see how I was doing. While they were gone I threw a party, but when asked I told them no, to which my dad responded " Well I'm currently looking at pictures on facebook of our kitchen with beer and a bong on the table." FML

The takeaway is: be careful what you put on facebook!

(I take absolutely no responsibility for what's on the rest of that web site.)

T
Collapse

asmericat
asmericat
Local time: 00:43
Italian to Tigrinya
+ ...
You're wright!but you see I've found a lot of friends who I tought were lost(20 years) May 20, 2009

Monika Coulson wrote:

I know it is fun, but it is the wrong time to make your complete birthdate public these days. And not just your birthday...

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=5491388

Have a great day, everyone!

Monika

[Edited at 2009-02-03 14:47 GMT]

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's not just Facebook May 21, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

Monika Coulson wrote:
I know it is fun, but it is the wrong time to make your complete birthdate public these days. And not just your birthday...

You can get lots of information on people using Google alone...

You can get lots of information on people using ProZ...

I fully agree with Samuel and Murray.

Even more, you can learn learn a lot about a person just from reading their posts in places like proz.com or other forum.

Daniel

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Think twice about disclosing your personal info on Facebook, MySpace, Twitter etc.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »