Can't convert into doc
Thread poster: Silvia Montufo Urquízar (X)
Silvia Montufo Urquízar (X)
Silvia Montufo Urquízar (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:19
French to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 17, 2008

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a notebook type laptop which has Works as Word Processor, with extension wps. My problem is that when I try to save the document I'm working with as doc or rtf in order to work with it on my other computer, all it does is add the new extension to the name, but actually keeping its old extension wps. Anyone knows how to solve this problem?

Thanks so much in advance,

Silvia

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 16:19
English to Indonesian
+ ...
open it directly in ms word Dec 17, 2008

i remember having it on my old sony laptop. wps can be opened in microsoft word. http://www.fileinfo.net/extension/wps

Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It does not work in my case... Dec 17, 2008

...because I don't have that feature installed in my version of Word at the moment, but I can try it to get it if nothing else works.

Thanks, Mulyadi!

Silvia

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 12:19
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Changext Dec 17, 2008

I have the freeware "changext" installed for this. In Windows on right click on the file it gives you
option "Extension: xxx" and options to change it. It will not convert your file from one type to another, however it manages the extension in a way your computer will recognise and open the file (say, when I receive files created on Mac, they often come without any extension at all and Windows just informs me that this is unknown file type). Works OK on all Windows systems, Vista included
... See more
I have the freeware "changext" installed for this. In Windows on right click on the file it gives you
option "Extension: xxx" and options to change it. It will not convert your file from one type to another, however it manages the extension in a way your computer will recognise and open the file (say, when I receive files created on Mac, they often come without any extension at all and Windows just informs me that this is unknown file type). Works OK on all Windows systems, Vista included.
I don't remember where I got it, but one link I found now for download is there:

http://www.geocities.com/~budallen/utilities.html

Uldis

Silvia Montufo Urquízar wrote:

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a notebook type laptop which has Works as Word Processor, with extension wps. My problem is that when I try to save the document I'm working with as doc or rtf in order to work with it on my other computer, all it does is add the new extension to the name, but actually keeping its old extension wps. Anyone knows how to solve this problem?

Thanks so much in advance,

Silvia

[Rediģēts plkst. 2008-12-17 18:19 GMT]
Collapse

Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks very much indeed Dec 17, 2008

... I downloaded it, although I still can't open the file... Your info is very helpful though and I will use it from now on.

Merry Christmas from Spain,

Silvia

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:19
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Copy content into new doc Dec 18, 2008

I'm afraid if Word does not save Works-files to doc-format you have to copy the content from Works into Word. You could try still OpenOffice Writer, it can done all kind of conversions. Just a moment ago it managed to convert a MS Word file into rtf for analysis in Trados when Word would break down every time I tried.

wps is a format you cannot use anywhere except in Works itself.

Regards
Heinrich

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:19
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
This happens when you Save As...? Dec 18, 2008

Typically, Microsoft save dialog boxes for Save As... have a drop down enumerating the file types you can use for your save. I went to the Microsoft help pages and it says you can do this. So in theory, you choose Save As..., the dialog box opens, you select something like Word 2003 document, and you're fine.

Sorry if this is in fact what you're doing. I wasn't sure, so ...

Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it happens when doing "Save as" Dec 19, 2008

That's the funny thing, I "save as" doc, but all it does is add the word "doc" to the name of the file while keeping the wps extension. Something's wrong!

Thanks a lot for your replies:-)

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:19
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I don't know if this will help, but... Dec 19, 2008

Silvia Montufo Urquízar wrote:

That's the funny thing, I "save as" doc, but all it does is add the word "doc" to the name of the file while keeping the wps extension. Something's wrong!

Thanks a lot for your replies:-)

I Googled "microsoft works save as doc" (don't type the quotes) and got, among other things,

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Microsoft-Works-1034/word-1.htm
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081209190158AAQbIJs

Maybe these will get you started on a solution. The person who responded in the first link may even be willing to help you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't convert into doc

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »