Hotmail: Windows Live Warning - true or scam?
Thread poster: Mara Ballarini
Mara Ballarini
Mara Ballarini  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 05:35
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 25, 2008

I suppose we (hotmail users) have all received those emails from our friends instructing us to send the email to as many people as possible in order to avoid that our account was closed.
Today, though, I received my second suspicious warning from supposably the Windows Live Team (the address it came from was [email protected]) which said the following:

***Dear Account User

This Email is from
... See more
I suppose we (hotmail users) have all received those emails from our friends instructing us to send the email to as many people as possible in order to avoid that our account was closed.
Today, though, I received my second suspicious warning from supposably the Windows Live Team (the address it came from was [email protected]) which said the following:

***Dear Account User

This Email is from Hotmail Customer Care and we are sending it to every Hotmail user's accounts owner for safety. we are having congestion due to the anonymous registration of Hotmail accounts so we are shutting down some Hotmail accounts and your account was among those to be deleted. We are sending this email to you so that you can verify and let us know if you still want to use this account. If you are still interested please confirm your account by filling the space below.Your User name, password, date of birth and your country information would be needed to verify your account.

Due to the congestion in all Hotmail users and removal of all unused Hotmail accounts, Hotmail would be shutting down all unused Accounts, You will have to confirm your E-mail by filling out your Login Information below after clicking the reply button, or your account will be suspended within 24 hours for security reasons.

* Username: ...............................
* Password: ................................
* Date of Birth: ............................
* Country Or Territory: .................

After following the instructions in the sheet, your account will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Thanks for your attention to this request. We apologize for any inconveniences. ***

Coming from a suspicious address and asking for my password, I found it really weird and ignored it the first time. Now I'd like to know if anyone else has received it or know anything about it. Any suggestions as to what I should do? Do you know by any chance how to contact the Hotmail team?

Hotmail is my primary address, which I've used for more than ten years. I really don't wanna lose all my account contains and means to me...

Thank you guys!!
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:35
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Sounds fishy to me Nov 25, 2008

Maybe you could report it to hotmail using this:

MSN Hotmail - Contacting Hotmail
To receive help with your Hotmail account, sign-in to your account and click the ... You can then submit an incident to us by clicking the Contact Us link. ...
http://hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/dasp/ua_info.asp

[Edited at 2008-11-25 08:53 GMT]

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:35
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Phising scam Nov 25, 2008

The email address it came from is a good enough reason to delete it immediately.
But if you search for "This Email is from Hotmail Customer Care and we are sending it" in google, you will find quite a few hits.
User name + password? Why would a system administrator need you to send that?
Attila

Ahmet Murati
Ahmet Murati  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Albanian
+ ...
Scam Nov 25, 2008

This email Hotmail Live Team is not true that when the HotMail Live Team sends you an e-mail message not to use this email address as the sender so you simply delete it.

[Redaktuar më 2008-11-25 16:58 GMT]

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
With Atilla Nov 25, 2008

Asking for this information is like asking for your bank account number and PIN code. Also, the content of the message is decidedly fishy -- real sysadmins don't send messages of this sort.

Ignore it!

Mara Ballarini
Mara Ballarini  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 05:35
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you! Nov 25, 2008

I was so sure when I disregarded the first email, but then I needed some reassurance with this second one... I guess I've always been quite lucky because I had never had any problems of this sort in the past and wasn't really sure how to deal with it.
Thank you again!

punam
punam
Local time: 20:35
English to Gujarati
+ ...
recent scams Nov 25, 2008

hi,
it is an obvious scam.
after sending a reply to a freind i clicked on the link from hotmail
refering to info on the hotmail scam. if you click that they instruct you what to do.
they suggest : "change password. it seems last week they sent emails to
users to change password if you havent then some one else has done so on your behalf. this means someone else is using your email id."
this was from hotmail and not any individual as it is in your case.
... See more
hi,
it is an obvious scam.
after sending a reply to a freind i clicked on the link from hotmail
refering to info on the hotmail scam. if you click that they instruct you what to do.
they suggest : "change password. it seems last week they sent emails to
users to change password if you havent then some one else has done so on your behalf. this means someone else is using your email id."
this was from hotmail and not any individual as it is in your case.
another thing is do not open any links directly, if you do not trust the sender. simply copy and paste the URL or web link.
and open the site directly.
our hotmail ids are precious and we should treasure it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hotmail: Windows Live Warning - true or scam?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »