Spyware on Proz.com? ('No.')
Thread poster: lexical
lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:00
Portuguese to English
Nov 10, 2008

McAfee Site Advisor has recently started reporting the existence of adware, software and "other undesirable programs" on the Proz.com site (See more
McAfee Site Advisor has recently started reporting the existence of adware, software and "other undesirable programs" on the Proz.com site (http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/proz.com?version=2&core_ver=1.0&pip=true&premium=false&client_ver=2.8.304&client_type=IEPlugin&suite=false&aff_id=0&locale=es-es&os_ver=5.1.2.0).

This is quite a recent development and coincides with a minor upsurge in reported spyware in my system scans. Can we be told (honestly) what is going on?
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:00
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
My guard keeps quiet. Nov 10, 2008

I am using Kaspersky, which is extremely paranoidal. ... Nothing.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:00
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Support ticket submitted Nov 10, 2008

I sent a support ticket to inform staff of this on Saturday. I have received an acknowledgment indicating the matter will be looked into. According to the information on the SiteAdvisor "Site Details" page for ProZ, it is the KudoZ toolbar download concerning which they have had adverse reports.... See more
I sent a support ticket to inform staff of this on Saturday. I have received an acknowledgment indicating the matter will be looked into. According to the information on the SiteAdvisor "Site Details" page for ProZ, it is the KudoZ toolbar download concerning which they have had adverse reports.
http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/proz.com?ref=safe&client_ver=FF_26.6_6275&locale=en-GB&premium=false&client_type=FF&aff_id=0
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
hoping it won't affect us Nov 10, 2008

Thanks, Jack!

CJG (X)
CJG (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Me too Nov 10, 2008

I also receive alerts every time I receive an email from proz.com. Under analysis, it states Generic pup.x. I have seen that this can be damaging to the computer - is this true?

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I too noticed the same today Nov 10, 2008

lexical wrote:

McAfee Site Advisor has recently started reporting the existence of adware, software and "other undesirable programs" on the Proz.com site (http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/proz.com?version=2&core_ver=1.0&pip=true&premium=false&client_ver=2.8.304&client_type=IEPlugin&suite=false&aff_id=0&locale=es-es&os_ver=5.1.2.0).

This is quite a recent development and coincides with a minor upsurge in reported spyware in my system scans. Can we be told (honestly) what is going on?

I am sure until last week everything was okay.

Thank you for bringing this up!

Andrew
Andrew
United States
English
The ProZ.com Kudoz Toolbar is completely safe Nov 10, 2008

Hello everyone,

Lexical, Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

McAfee has classified the ProZ.com KudoZ Toolbar as a "Potentially Unwanted Program" and lists the following information in their threat library:

McAfee(R) AVERT� recognizes that this program may have legitimate uses in contexts where an authorized administrator has knowingly installed this application. If you agreed to a license agreement for this, or another bundled application, you may have legal obligations with regard to removing this software, or using the host application without this software. Please contact the software vendor for further information.

More can be found here: http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_141767.htm

It seems McAfee just doesn't like ProZ.com very much. Recently, one of their software suites blocked web browsers from accessing ProZ.com simply because we have a listing of job postings.

Regardless, there is nothing malicious in the toolbar. It's simply meant to make searching KudoZ easier.

Best Regards,
Andrew

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Reaction Nov 10, 2008

Andrew wrote:

It seem (sic) McAfee just doesn't like ProZ.com very much.

Best Regards,
Andrew

One does just wonder why...

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
But then Kaspersky does Nov 10, 2008

And ,IMHO, Kaspersky is the best (though indeed most paranoiac of them all ).

Uldis

lexical wrote:

Andrew wrote:

It seem (sic) McAfee just doesn't like ProZ.com very much.

Best Regards,
Andrew

One does just wonder why...

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:00
Danish to English
+ ...
McAfee Nov 10, 2008

You should not have any problems with proz.com through McAfee's security system, if you tell the system that the URL for proz.com is acceptable and also have the proz.com e-mail address entered in your e-mail address book.

Suz

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I am still extremely annoyed Nov 11, 2008

by the yellow color of McAfee SiteAdvisor sitting at the bottom of my browser's window.
Normally I only visit "green" sites, so I am not used to see this.

How can I change it into "green"? I tried to put proz.com to the list of sites I don't want to be warned of (there aren't any others until now), but there is still this irritating yellow warning.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spyware on Proz.com? ('No.')

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »