Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:22
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Oct 10, 2008

This one is particularly aiming at translators, so beware...
I just received an email from a "client" that I never heard of - but it almost looks credible :
Hi

I need this document translated, and the translation is to be of high quality.
The attorney asked me to be especially careful with page 2. As I need to
submit the document tomorrow, please have it checked and translated for me today.

I have deposited $150 to your cred
... See more
This one is particularly aiming at translators, so beware...
I just received an email from a "client" that I never heard of - but it almost looks credible :
Hi

I need this document translated, and the translation is to be of high quality.
The attorney asked me to be especially careful with page 2. As I need to
submit the document tomorrow, please have it checked and translated for me today.

I have deposited $150 to your credit card account that you gave me the last time.
Let me know if any questions occur.

P.S. The document is in the ZIP-compressed MS Word file attached to this message.
I look forward to getting the result ASAP.

Let's keep in touch
XXX
I mostly expected a scam, but had a closer look at the .zip (since I'm running Linux on this computer I was a bit less fearful...) - not opening it but just checking what was inside... the name of the file is:
Document_023.doc      .exe
(Linux had already warned that it was an executable anyway)

What strikes me is the fact that this is targetted - the sender not only knew that I'm a translator (he didn't send it at the random) but also sent it directly to my business email address (which is not public anywhere). I have sent a complaint to the person who is responsible of the ip that has been used, but I do not think that I could have been the only translator to receive this nice present...

Florence

[Modifié le 2008-10-10 21:30]
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:22
Spanish
+ ...
Email Oct 10, 2008

Hi Florence,

Thanks for letting us know. It is disturbing that they're now focusing on us translators. Can you send me this person's email address through my profile?

Regards,

Claudia

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:22
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Any possible conncection with Linkedin??? Oct 10, 2008

Florence,
Is it possible that you gave the same email address to Linkedin ProZ.com group? I too received two spam emails, targeted as a translator, and my first guess was that it came through Linkedin. (I joined the ProZ.com group in Linkedin.) I am not sure though, just a guess.

Monika

Florence Bremond
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, disturbing... Oct 10, 2008

Claudia: Scammers/spammers are usually using different email addresses each time, and most often are hijacking addresses that belong to legitimate users - so trying to check that point wouldn't help and could even create a false feeling of security, I think. In the present case it's probably better to concentrate on people that seem to know us but we don't remember. Unfortunately, it's not easy to tell right away in all cases I suppose.

Monika: It could be, but in this case no, it's
... See more
Claudia: Scammers/spammers are usually using different email addresses each time, and most often are hijacking addresses that belong to legitimate users - so trying to check that point wouldn't help and could even create a false feeling of security, I think. In the present case it's probably better to concentrate on people that seem to know us but we don't remember. Unfortunately, it's not easy to tell right away in all cases I suppose.

Monika: It could be, but in this case no, it's not the address that I use for Linkedin.

It's an address that clients or potential clients know, it is certainly in a number of databases around the World, but nowhere visible on the Internet. So I assume that this person has had an access to one of these databases containing translators data. This is why I'm speaking about it this time, and not just discarding it as I do in 99.99% of the cases.

Florence
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Florence Oct 11, 2008

See also http://appriver.blogspot.com/

Natalia

Florence Bremond
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Natalia Oct 11, 2008

This confirms that I am not the only target (or rather,)
And also my point above : the message as quoted in this blog doesn't display the same sender name.
Florence

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

False "client" sending viruses to translators specifically

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »