A valuable site to test vulnerability of our computers
Thread poster: Rishi Miranhshah
Rishi Miranhshah
Rishi Miranhshah  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Jun 5, 2003

We translators normally have all our eggs (as well as bread and butter) in our computers. This in itself is quite a precarious situation, given the fact that most of us are connected 24 hrs. of the day via cable connections, and on top of it smart guys are getting smarter day by day. Here is a site (https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2) that does a free test to evaluate how vulnerable/invincible our refri... See more
We translators normally have all our eggs (as well as bread and butter) in our computers. This in itself is quite a precarious situation, given the fact that most of us are connected 24 hrs. of the day via cable connections, and on top of it smart guys are getting smarter day by day. Here is a site (https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2) that does a free test to evaluate how vulnerable/invincible our refrigerators are.
To me it was quite helpful (and shocking to see how I was exhibiting all my information to the whole world!!!!!)
Collapse

luka
luka
Spain
Local time: 12:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you Jun 5, 2003

Thank you for posting this link. I tried out of curiosity and I had the nice surprise to see everything was OK, nobody could see any data from the computer and the computer irself was 'closed' to anybody trying to connect to it. I have Norton Internet Security installed in my computer and am glad to see it works well.

lien
lien
Netherlands
Local time: 12:57
English to French
+ ...
How do you know? Jun 5, 2003

Why do you trust these people that you do not know? It could be a good way to scan your computer to steal all your useful information with your own accord.

And how do you know if they left something in your PC?

Lien

Nina Engberg
Nina Engberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:57
English to Swedish
+ ...
My computer is in stealth mode Jun 6, 2003

Thanks for sharing -- my computer is very safe! Great site!

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:57
Flemish to English
+ ...
A good ISP is worth its weight in gold Jun 6, 2003

Attempting connection to your computer. . .
Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet!
Your Internet port 139 does not appea
... See more
Attempting connection to your computer. . .
Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet!
Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.
Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet
--
The ISP's servers block about everything which could be harmful to their users. Worth it's weight in gold...
Collapse

Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:57
German to English
+ ...
Another good site Jun 6, 2003

I am frequently using another good site:

http://www.dslreports.com/tools

This site is especially helpful, if your computer does not bring the speed you expected from your broadband connection. In my case using the twaeking tool increased the speed from approximately double the ISDN speed to almost 5 Mbit/s.

They also offer you the free service of looking for weak poi
... See more
I am frequently using another good site:

http://www.dslreports.com/tools

This site is especially helpful, if your computer does not bring the speed you expected from your broadband connection. In my case using the twaeking tool increased the speed from approximately double the ISDN speed to almost 5 Mbit/s.

They also offer you the free service of looking for weak points and ping your computer. Fortunately my firewall was watertight.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A valuable site to test vulnerability of our computers

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »