How can I cancel Spydoctor subscription?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:45
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Sep 16, 2008

Last year, end of September, I must have had a weak moment when I paid for Spydoctor (PC Tools). As far as I remember I found this software impractical and havent used it since.
Today they inform me, that my subscription is prolonged to September 2009, and my Visa account will be debited with 30 USD.
I logged into my account, but there is nowhere a link where I could cancel my subscription. I sent a support ticket but haven not recieved an answer yet.
Does anyone know how can I
... See more
Last year, end of September, I must have had a weak moment when I paid for Spydoctor (PC Tools). As far as I remember I found this software impractical and havent used it since.
Today they inform me, that my subscription is prolonged to September 2009, and my Visa account will be debited with 30 USD.
I logged into my account, but there is nowhere a link where I could cancel my subscription. I sent a support ticket but haven not recieved an answer yet.
Does anyone know how can I cancel this stupid subscription?
Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Elena Robles Sanjuan
Elena Robles Sanjuan  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:45
English to Spanish
This is what you have to do Sep 16, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Does anyone know how can I cancel this stupid subscription?
Regards
Heinrich

Hi Heinrich,

I think I have found the way to avoid further charges, but for now, you might want to ask your Visa provider to reject the payment.
If you go to "My licenses" within your account and click on the license code, you´ll see this:

Subscription Status: Active - auto renewal set (Subscription cancellation request pending), but in your case it´ll say automatic renewal. Click on "modify" and they´ll send you an e-mail telling you that the cancellation of the automatic renewal is being processed.

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Elena Sep 16, 2008

I didn't notice this small blue "modify". Now I could reset to manual renewal.

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just for the record... Sep 16, 2008

...pc tools has been bought over by symantec: the Norton crowd.

Elena Robles Sanjuan
Elena Robles Sanjuan  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Thanks, John Paul Sep 16, 2008

John Paul Weir wrote:

I might be wrong, but I trust their products implicitly. The only problem I´ve experience with Spyware Doctor is that, whenever I leave it running in the background, it slows the computer down to a near halt. I enable it only when I download stuff.

[Edited at 2008-09-16 08:50]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oh my... Sep 16, 2008

John Paul Weir wrote:

Oh my. So now PC Tools stuff will become harder to install and uninstall and more expensive, and will consume a bigger chunk of your computer's resources. That's the normal evolution of Symantec products in recent years. We have jumped out of Symantec products completely and are very happy to have done so!

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Spyware doctor / Norton Sep 16, 2008

I was given a free subscription to Spyware Doctor via a computer magazine but it suddenly (and inexplicably) stopped working one day. I certainly wouldn't pay for it, especially after reading this:

Computer security giant Symantec said it would not integrate the software of recent acquisition PC Tools into its mainstream Norton suite, instead using the products as its low-cost option for countries such as India and China.

There are plenty of better, free versions of other A-V software out there. I am using Avast and happy enough with it.

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got a refund Sep 25, 2008

I cancelled my subscription, it was still 2 weeks in the first period. The refunded me via Visa. So I have no complaint about PC Tools as a business partner.
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I cancel Spydoctor subscription?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »