Is "European Company Registration" (Euro Business Guide) for real?
Thread poster: Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:07
English to Danish
+ ...
Jul 18, 2008

Recently, I have been receiving emails asking me to fill in a form to be registered in the registry of European companies (Euro Business Guide).

Am I the only one getting these emails?
Does anyone know anything about the guide and is it any good?
Could it be a scam?

In Denmark, we've had fraudulent companies ripping innocent small businesses for thousands of euros by selling useless Internet business guides. So that's why I am being excessively cautious.
... See more
Recently, I have been receiving emails asking me to fill in a form to be registered in the registry of European companies (Euro Business Guide).

Am I the only one getting these emails?
Does anyone know anything about the guide and is it any good?
Could it be a scam?

In Denmark, we've had fraudulent companies ripping innocent small businesses for thousands of euros by selling useless Internet business guides. So that's why I am being excessively cautious.

Jørgen
Collapse

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 03:07
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Keep being excessively cautious! Jul 18, 2008

Even if it was for real - which it normally is not - why on earth would you like to be in such a guide?
Is it on paper?
Is it distributed for free?
In how many countries? All European?
Being the world what it is now - all electronic - why would anybody seek for you there and not on the internet?

Just forget it!

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:07
Swedish to English
+ ...
Any directory/register you've never heard of = a scam Jul 18, 2008

If you've never heard of them, why should anybody else have?

I don't know about this specific one, but this is a typical fraud. Send you an offer requiring you to respond (fill in a form, sign, etc.) so that they can pretend to claim a contract exist between them and you.

Stay safe by treating all unsolicited emails or other unsolicited offers as potential frauds.

Madeleine

Diarmuid Kennan
Diarmuid Kennan
Ireland
Local time: 01:07
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
Never heard of it Jul 19, 2008

Rebecca Jowers
Rebecca Jowers  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:07
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The European Company (Societas Europaea or "SE") does indeed exist Jul 19, 2008

...but I wouldn't answer the email you received either!

Just for information:

1. What is an SE?

The SE is a European public limited company. An SE may be created on registration in any one of the Member States of the European Economic Area (EEA). Article 10 of the Regulation requires Member States to treat an SE as if it is a public limited company formed in accordance with the law of the Member State in which it has its registered office. GB national laws
... See more
...but I wouldn't answer the email you received either!

Just for information:

1. What is an SE?

The SE is a European public limited company. An SE may be created on registration in any one of the Member States of the European Economic Area (EEA). Article 10 of the Regulation requires Member States to treat an SE as if it is a public limited company formed in accordance with the law of the Member State in which it has its registered office. GB national laws that apply to public limited companies also apply, in many respects, to SEs registered in GB (Article 9(1)(c)(ii) of the Regulation).

http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/about/gbhtml/gb06.shtml
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is "European Company Registration" (Euro Business Guide) for real?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »