Mid-year report to members, 2013
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 22:18
SITE STAFF
May 6, 2013

Dear members,

Here is a report on news and advancements since the year-end report to members for 2012.*

• During 2013 improvements are being made to the ProZ.com directory, profiles, and job posting system. Some minor improvements have already been made in profile... See more
  • Dear members,

Here is a report on news and advancements since the year-end report to members for 2012.*

• During 2013 improvements are being made to the ProZ.com directory, profiles, and job posting system. Some minor improvements have already been made in profiles, including the general rates and address/location forms, and an improved "search by location" feature was added to the directory. Look for more improvements in these areas as the year moves forward.

Remember that your profile is at the center of your ProZ.com experience, and having a complete profile helps ensure that new clients and collaborators can find you. Most contact of this type happens through the directory. Find out where you appear in the directory and how to improve your ranking using the directory ranking tool.

• A new Software comparison tool was released which allows you to compare and review different translation-related software. If you have experience in one or more CAT tools or other software, write a review! User reviews will help others who are on the market for new software.

• The 11th ProZ.com translation contest was held, on the theme "Contemporary society." Thank you to all 668 participants, and congratulations to the winners, who can be seen here. A new feature was also added to allow the proposal of source texts for future contests. If you have found a text in your native language you think may be a good source text for a contest, you can propose and comment on it here >>

ProZ.com translation contests

• The KudoZ term help system reached three million questions asked in February. Thanks goes out to everyone who has participated in asking and answering term help, from its start in 1999 to today, and a special thanks to ProZ.com members for making tools like this possible for everyone.

KudoZ term help system reaches 3 million questions

• In Translator training, 3,583 language professionals have taken training at ProZ.com so far in 2013. More than 100 live sessions have been added this year in English, Spanish, Italian, French, Portuguese, Greek, Russian, German, Arabic and Chinese. More than 300 on-demand recordings are currently available, and eleven experienced professionals have joined the team of 70 ProZ.com trainers sharing their expertise with the community.

• Two donation drives were held, with ProZ.com matching member donations for Translators without Borders' Fund a translator campaign, and for flood victims in La Plata, Argentina (home to one of ProZ.com's offices). Thank you to all who participated!

• ProZ.com community choice awards The first edition of the ProZ.com community choice awards was kicked off in April. If you haven't nominated your favorites yet, don't wait! Make your nominations here >>

• New countries have been added to those with local payment options. Twenty-two countries currently have this option available.

• The translation center, thanks to the generosity of volunteer translators and Translators without Borders, has been able to process over 9 million words to date for NGOs around the world.

Translation center

• Ninety-four "pairings", or connections between mentors and those being mentored, have been made. To find out more about the mentoring program and how to participate, see the mentoring program page.

• The Translator T.O., a blog for translators by the ProZ.com site team, has returned from a period of relative inactivity. The goal is to bring members weekly posts on different topics in translation, written by the site team and guest posters. You can see the latest on the Translator T.O. here. If you are interested in participating as a guest poster on the blog, please contact me directly.

In ProZ.com events, the following were held:

Events coming up through the middle of the year include:

See all upcoming ProZ.com events: http://www.proz.com/conference/

Appreciation
    Many members contributed to the accomplishments listed above, and many other changes and improvements being made to the site. In particular, I would like to thank the following members for community activities, suggestions or feedback that have influenced activities since the last report:

Chantal Kamgne, Maria Arruti, Pavel Tsvetkov, Maya Gorgoshidze, Eddie R. Notowidigdo, Hazem Hamdy, Joy Mo, Martin Janda, Paula Ribeiro, Maria Pereira, Rafaela Lemos, Agenor Hofmann-Delbor, Konstantin Kisin, Localization team leaders and their teams, Moderators in the class of 2012-2013, ProZ.com site guides, the members who are volunteering as ProZ.com mentors, all conference organizers and speakers, and ProZ.com trainers.

On behalf of the ProZ.com site team, thank you to all site members for your support. Your membership is what makes all of this possible.

For those who are not yet ProZ.com members, the mid-year membership campaign will be starting shortly. If you are serious about meeting new clients and collaborators or otherwise improving your business, ProZ.com membership might be for you. If you are fully-booked and just want to keep your name and services out there for future opportunities, ProZ.com membership might be for you. ProZ.com is the number-one source of new clients for translators, and provides a complete suite of tools and opportunities for those in the translation business. Thanks to member investments, these tools and opportunities are continually being improved and expanded.

Happy translating,

Jared
    Member services
    ProZ.com

If you are a translator or you work with translators, the ProZ.com mission statement explains how the site works for you: By providing tools and opportunities for you to network, expand your business, improve your work, and have more fun. If you have questions about membership, or need answers or help regarding anything else at ProZ.com, do not hesitate to contact staff through the online support system.

* Previous reports to members can be seen here: http://www.proz.com/forum/944Collapse

•  
    inkweaver
    inkweaver  Identity Verified
    Germany
    Local time: 03:18
    French to German
    + ...
    Just a note on the address/location form... May 7, 2013

I was not too happy to discover that when the change was made my full address must have become visible and was displayed for some time which I only discovered by chance recently.

Initially, I had chosen to display my city, but never my street address, and I am not too happy about the fact that this was visible to everyone and can still be found through Google searches.

Jared Tabor
    Jared Tabor
    Local time: 22:18
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    Thanks for reporting, looking into this May 7, 2013

Hello inkweaver,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I've spoken with Jason and he is looking into the matter. Thanks for your patience.

Jared

Jason Grimes
    Jason Grimes
    Local time: 21:18
    SITE STAFF
    Updates did not change address visibility May 7, 2013

inkweaver wrote:
    I was not too happy to discover that when the change was made my full address must have become visible and was displayed for some time which I only discovered by chance recently.

Hi inkweaver,

The profile address updates did not affect the visibility of your full address. I reviewed the database backups, and your full address was visible before these changes were made. It's possible that you had previously set your address to be visible by mistake--the old address form was somewhat difficult to use.

In any case, I'm sorry that your full address was being shown when you didn't want it to be. The new address form attempts to make your address visibility settings more obvious and easier to configure.

Best regards,

Jason

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mid-year report to members, 2013

TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
    CafeTran Espresso
    You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »