Year-end report to members, 2003
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 14:06
SITE FOUNDER
Dec 13, 2003

For those who missed it, this is the report for 2003 included in the last newsletter...

-------------------------
ProZ.com Report for 2003

The staff of ProZ.com would like to extend its congratulations and thanks to members and moderators for improving upon the site in 2003. Following is a report on steps taken this year...

KudoZ and GlossPost
........................... See more
For those who missed it, this is the report for 2003 included in the last newsletter...

ProZ.com Report for 2003

The staff of ProZ.com would like to extend its congratulations and thanks to members and moderators for improving upon the site in 2003. Following is a report on steps taken this year...

KudoZ and GlossPost

* Over 60 user-requested enhancements were made to KudoZ. The milestone of 1 million answers was reached, with new terms being added to the KudoZ Open Glossary--which is freely searchable in all languages, and browsable in some--at a rate of up to 1000 terms per day.

http://www.proz.com/kudoz (click "Switch to New KudoZ Design" when viewing a term for the new view)

KudoZ growth: http://www.proz.com/growth/questions

* KudoZ.net, a downloadable desktop tool, was released, and both KudoZ.net and web versions of a meta web terms search were created. These search functions, which
simultaneously access both search engines (google, etc.) and online dictionaries (Eurodicautom, Ectaco, Leo...), provide the fastest means of executing a thorough term
search.

http://www.kudoz.net

* A database was created to make the GlossPost glossary links searchable by language and field. Members have already catalogued more than 2650 glossaries. (Thanks go to Maria Farre, founder of the GlossPost list!)

http://www.proz.com/?sp=glosspost

Jobs / Directory

* Print ads were taken out in the major industry publications, and google and other seach engines indexed member profile pages and the directory. There has been a
marked increase in client visits to the directory and individual profile pages, and job flow has increased correspondingly.

Jobs growth: http://www.proz.com/growth/jobs

* The job pages were enhanced, with more project and client information being gathered from posters. A team of moderators now screens out "non-jobs" before they
reach the community.

* For outsourcers, the option was given to limit jobs to paying members. This step made job posting more manageable, and increased the exposure available to platinum members.

* The number of jobs posted in 2003 has (so far) risen 35% over last year's total, to 17,072 (with jobs posted in multiple language pairs counted as only one job). In
addition, it is estimated that 15,000-20,000 additional jobs were passed "directly", by way of emails sent through profiles located in directory searches.

Blue Board

* The Blue Board database of translation agencies (and other outsourcers) underwent a redesign, and a team of moderators merged duplicate entries and otherwise cleaned
the data. (Note: This project is still underway.) There are now over 4000 clients listed, along with feedback from ProZ.com members who have worked for each. Much more
than may be immediately apparent, the Blue Board is of tremendous benefit not only to independent professionals, but also to top clients.

http://www.proz.com/blueboard

Forums

* The Forums were redesigned for faster loading, and new forums were added in Greek, Lithuanian, Catalan, Bosnian and Ukrainian. The ability to track forums and threads was instituted for all members. Vetting of posts from non-platinum members without verified identities is now handled by moderators, and the average time for a posting to appear has been reduced substantially.

http://www.proz.com/forum

Powwows

In 2003, over 100 powwows were held in 33 countries. Thanks go out to the organizers (and, in some cases, hosts) of these events. If there has not yet been a powwow in your area, and you are a platinum member, consider organizing something as simple as lunch at a local restaurant--it is a great way to meet people and exchange tips.

http://www.proz.com/?sp=event/powwow_board

Group Buying

* ProZ.com took over operation of Translator Group Buying. By joining together to buy in bulk, ProZ.com members have obtained the best prices available anywhere on translation products such as TRADOS, Wordfast and Deja Vu.

http://www.translatorgroupbuying.com

Faster, More Navigable Site design

The site was redesigned, with improvements made for speed and intuitiveness. Navigational steps have been reduced using a drop-down menu, pages load faster, and 94.6% of email alerts leaving ProZ.com's servers in under a minute.

If you are still using the old design, click the link under the ProZ.com logo in the upper left of your screen to try the new one:

http://www.proz.com

Membership, Activity Up, Identities Verified

The number of members logging in on an average day is now over 5,000, and KudoZ, jobs, forums and other areas of the site are 30-55% more active. This means more
clients and more collaborators. In addition, to assist members in doing business online with new counterparts, ProZ.com staff and moderators have verified the identities of more than 3300 members.

Miscellaneous New Features

The following functions were added in 2003:
- Support for Moneybookers payments via profiles
- Ability to "declare" native language(s)
- Profile "portfolios" (translation samples)
- Instant messaging to members from directory, profiles
- More precise ability to filter KudoZ and profile
page emails (more categories, spammer blocking option)

In addition to the above, a number of bugs were fixed, and processes were made more efficient.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-06-16 13:24 GMT]
Collapse

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Congratulations to you Henry Dec 13, 2003

Dear Henry:

It's true. The site has become much better over the past year with all the enhancements/features/upgrades/improvements you mention in your end-of-year message.

Allow me to congratulate you on being the one behind all these positive changes. The amount of work it represents is impressive...

I hope others will join me in saying thank you for making this site such fun and so relevant to the translation profession around the world.

... See more
Dear Henry:

It's true. The site has become much better over the past year with all the enhancements/features/upgrades/improvements you mention in your end-of-year message.

Allow me to congratulate you on being the one behind all these positive changes. The amount of work it represents is impressive...

I hope others will join me in saying thank you for making this site such fun and so relevant to the translation profession around the world.

Happy Holiday and Happy New Year...

Jane Lamb-Ruiz
Collapse

Carlos Moreno
Carlos Moreno  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 13:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree! Dec 13, 2003

Yes! Along the years I have been a member, Proz has grown to be a very serious and reputable place for translators of all languages and specialties. It has had its growing pains, it is true, but they have happened precisely because of ProZ's massive growth, and they have been solved diligently and with the interest of the translators in mind. I have said more than once that ProZ is one of the best-linked pages in all the Internet, and its staff is friendly and efficient.
I really feel prou
... See more
Yes! Along the years I have been a member, Proz has grown to be a very serious and reputable place for translators of all languages and specialties. It has had its growing pains, it is true, but they have happened precisely because of ProZ's massive growth, and they have been solved diligently and with the interest of the translators in mind. I have said more than once that ProZ is one of the best-linked pages in all the Internet, and its staff is friendly and efficient.
I really feel proud of being a ProZ member. Congratulations to Henry, and also to all of ProZ's staff and moderators.
Collapse

ttagir
ttagir  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:06
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
As far I can observe, ProZ grows exponentially in both quantity and quality Dec 13, 2003

Dear Prozers, our indefatigable staff, and Henry,
The new design of site also appeared this year (I would like to emphasize the new and helpful features). Even if it were only VID + GroupBuying to appear in ProZ this year, it would be something which cannot be overestimated!
I could add that fora are growing as exp(t). I also hope that the traffic grows at the same pace. A qualitative (along with large quantitative) growth is evident and clearly proves the right, wise, and adequate
... See more
Dear Prozers, our indefatigable staff, and Henry,
The new design of site also appeared this year (I would like to emphasize the new and helpful features). Even if it were only VID + GroupBuying to appear in ProZ this year, it would be something which cannot be overestimated!
I could add that fora are growing as exp(t). I also hope that the traffic grows at the same pace. A qualitative (along with large quantitative) growth is evident and clearly proves the right, wise, and adequate control over and rulling of the site. Several attempts to create something similar in the Net were not successful, because they usually lose in view of absence of a spirit similar to that existing in ProZ during several years.
This also proves that ProZ is on the right way to future. Moreover, the ProZ&KudoZ system both draws such a future and drive people along this road. I see that the site has already turned into a mature, serious, and necessary center of the linguistic world. When one joins to ProZ, it becomes a real honor to feel as being in touch with almost all parts of the world.
May the new year approaching to our homes be even more successful for all site members, mods, staff, and first of all the Founder.
Yours,
Tagir.
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 21:06
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
It would take too long Dec 14, 2003

to list all good things ProZ has, provides and shares.
Proz undoubtedly is Translation Site No 1 in the World and many thanks for that to Henry, Staff and Moderators!

Sincerely- Uldis

RHELLER
RHELLER
United States
Local time: 12:06
French to English
+ ...
Bravo! Dec 14, 2003

Very impressive list of accomplishments

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 23:36
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Great achievements! Dec 14, 2003

Carry on the great work!

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:06
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Many thanks to the proz team! Dec 14, 2003

It just keeps on getting better! Thank you all for your time and tedious work.
Gayle

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 14:06
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

congratulations Proz ! Dec 14, 2003

What a tremendous change from this time last year ! And all thanks to volunteers and our dedicated founder, Henry, who still found time to come meet many of his "brood" in a Montreal pow-wow I organised last August.
Not to mention a new baby in October !What energy !
I just wanted to add : we get all this, for 120 USD per year. Talk about ROI. No need to get jobs, even, fromt his site; just the echange of ideas on the
... See more
What a tremendous change from this time last year ! And all thanks to volunteers and our dedicated founder, Henry, who still found time to come meet many of his "brood" in a Montreal pow-wow I organised last August.
Not to mention a new baby in October !What energy !
I just wanted to add : we get all this, for 120 USD per year. Talk about ROI. No need to get jobs, even, fromt his site; just the echange of ideas on the forum, and the leads to terminology, be it from glosspost or "live" colleagues, is unbeatable.
Keep up the good work, Henry, et al ! It's quite a feat to "create" an international fellowship, community, or club.
Nancy
Collapse

Terry Gilman
Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:06
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Thank you and congratulations Dec 22, 2003

I missed the year-end report *and* this thread when it was originally posted and would like to say thank you and congratulations belatedly, also to the moderators in "my" pairs, for continually improving the site.
Terry Gilman

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Year-end report to members, 2003

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »