Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Discussion for Marketing & Recruitment day session (2016): Find direct clients and run a business that you love

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com's Virtual Conferences » "Discussion for Marketing & Recruitment day session (2016): Find direct clients and run a business that you love".
You can see the ProZ.com's virtual conferences page and participate in this discussion from there.

AngelikaVengrus
AngelikaVengrus
Ukraine
Local time: 18:52
Ukrainian to Russian
+ ...
May I try to contact a client directly if the agency which used to give me his projects has closed? Sep 28, 2016

Hi everybody! I've done many projects for one big company during passed several years, but the agency which used to give me this texts is almost closed because of crisis and besides they still owe me money. Don't you know may I try to contact this client directly and how should I show them that I'm ready to continue our cooperation? Thank you in advance for your pieces of advice.

Yuliia Behen (nee Herus)
Yuliia Behen (nee Herus)  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Very useful presentation! Sep 28, 2016

This is one of the best and useful things I've heard! Thank you so much!

Thomas Carey
Thomas Carey  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:52
French to English
+ ...
Great presentation Sep 28, 2016

Very interesting, positive presentation. Thanks Sara!

Victoria Farina
Victoria Farina
Italy
Local time: 17:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great session!! Sep 28, 2016

I loved it! It's really interesting and useful. Thank you very much!

Omotoso Ogunmola
Omotoso Ogunmola
Estonia
English to Yoruba
+ ...
English to yoruba Sep 28, 2016

Its was a wow

kav02
kav02  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 09:52
English to Spanish
Excellent presentation! Sep 28, 2016

Very well explained. Thanks a lot!

Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
May I try to contact a client directly if the agency which used to give me his projects has closed? Sep 28, 2016

AngelikaVengrus wrote:

Hi everybody! I've done many projects for one big company during passed several years, but the agency which used to give me this texts is almost closed because of crisis and besides they still owe me money. Don't you know may I try to contact this client directly and how should I show them that I'm ready to continue our cooperation? Thank you in advance for your pieces of advice.

I think a letter (sent by ordinary mail) would be a great idea. It should be personalized - search on-line for the name of a contact who could be responsible for finding translators (marketing manager, people responsible for provision of translations, etc.) and use the physical address of the company to send this letter.

BTW, direct mail campaigns is a great way to find direct clients ("The wealthy freelancer" book is about it), because e-mails are almost always sent to the spam folder.

[Edited at 2016-09-28 17:19 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-09-28 17:20 GMT]

traductorjy
traductorjy
Peru
Local time: 10:52
English to Spanish
Very useful tips to put in action Sep 28, 2016

Thanks a lot, I"ll follow your recommended steps to be celebrated

Charles R. Castleberry
Charles R. Castleberry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:52
Member (2009)
Portuguese to English
Well worth listening to again Sep 28, 2016

Loads of good tips

Kerlene Telesford
Kerlene Telesford
United States
Local time: 11:52
Spanish to English
Social Media Presence Management Sep 28, 2016

How do you balance managing projects, actually translating, managing all your internet profiles and sites, and paying your bills? I am practically just starting out, so doing all this myself seems overwhelming.

Natallia Lupik
Natallia Lupik  Identity Verified
Belarus
English to Russian
+ ...
Great presentation! Sep 28, 2016

Thank you, Sara, it was really interesting and useful!

Ima Oduok (X)
Ima Oduok (X)
Guadeloupe
French to English
+ ...
presentation slides? Sep 28, 2016

Is there a link to download the presentation slides for future reference?

Vadim Kadyrov
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
A couple of tips Sep 29, 2016

Kerlene wrote:

How do you balance managing projects, actually translating, managing all your internet profiles and sites, and paying your bills? I am practically just starting out, so doing all this myself seems overwhelming.

First, you should set up your own schedule. As for me, I DO NOT work on Saturdays and Sundays (or public holidays either). Period. These days are for my family, and for myself. Additionally, when its is 5 p.m., I just shut down my PC and use my smartphone for urgent communication with my clients.

This is very important, and this is the most crucial thing to start with.

And, you have to prioritize your everyday "chores", although it comes with practice, of course.

Finally, frankly speaking, it is better to be flooded with projects and assignments during the day then to surf social media aimlessly for 8 hours. You just start the day, and it ends almost naturally, without you even noticing that it is over.

Vadim Kadyrov
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Just another tip in addition to what Sara told Sep 29, 2016

Timing and trust - these are two things that prevent your leads from contacting you. They either don`t need your services NOW, or they don`t trust you NOW.
While you can`t influence the exact time when they will need you, you can still build up trust. How? By staying in contact with them, following up, etc.

Lorena Ibacache
Lorena Ibacache
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Lots of tips! Thank you! Sep 29, 2016

They are very useful for me since I am just starting my own direct-client search. Love the presentation, very clear and motivating. Good luck to you!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Drew MacFadyen[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discussion for Marketing & Recruitment day session (2016): Find direct clients and run a business that you love

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »