Virtual conference for translation agencies session (2010): Machine Translation Trends

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com virtual conferences » "Virtual conference for translation agencies session (2010): Machine Translation Trends".
You can see the ProZ.com virtual conferences page and participate in this discussion from there.

David Zhang
David Zhang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 11:58
English to Chinese
Is a machine translation possible for a pair related to Chinese? Oct 13, 2010

I challenge the chance of success albeit I know some people are working on it. For example, exposure, expose to, etc. may mean 暴露 in Chinese. But they mean more than that in English and sometimes it's quite a challenge for a Chinese translator to find an equivalent Chinese word. Maybe I can cite more like access, reference, ..., and so on. Also, the word sequence in a Chinese sentence sometimes is likely a big difference from an English equivalent, which may constitute a nightmare for a res... See more
I challenge the chance of success albeit I know some people are working on it. For example, exposure, expose to, etc. may mean 暴露 in Chinese. But they mean more than that in English and sometimes it's quite a challenge for a Chinese translator to find an equivalent Chinese word. Maybe I can cite more like access, reference, ..., and so on. Also, the word sequence in a Chinese sentence sometimes is likely a big difference from an English equivalent, which may constitute a nightmare for a researcher.Collapse

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:58
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
yes, MT is possible and already deployed successfully for Chinese Oct 15, 2010

David Zhang wrote:

I challenge the chance of success albeit I know some people are working on it. For example, exposure, expose to, etc. may mean 暴露 in Chinese. But they mean more than that in English and sometimes it's quite a challenge for a Chinese translator to find an equivalent Chinese word. Maybe I can cite more like access, reference, ..., and so on. Also, the word sequence in a Chinese sentence sometimes is likely a big difference from an English equivalent, which may constitute a nightmare for a researcher.

David, for MT about Chinese, see my post in ProZ forums at http://www.proz.com/forum/machine_translation_mt/98-machine_translation_anyone_using_it_successfully-page3.html#1271702

for your example of (exposure, expose to), there are several Rule-based MT systems which allow to easily enter in variant translation equivalents in the dictionary. I have done this for "continuer à" and "continuer de" which both translate the same into English. Also have done it for different words which translate from 1 in source to 2 in target (issue in English can be 1) problème or 2) numéro de publication) in French. Handling this type of ambiguity both at the source language level and at the target language has been implemented in such systems for many years, but only in the paid software and systems, not in the free non-customizable online systems which I mentioned in the panel.
I specifially described these built in features in software product reviews of Reverso Pro 5 and PROMT v6 back in 2001 and in 2004. See the Language Technology Evaluation (LangTechEval) site in my ProZ profile and look up my name for the software reviews on those products (links are provided to those freely available software reviews).

The customizable statistical MT systems also provide for the possibility to train them based on the existing variants found in legacy translated materials, such as in TMs.

Jeff

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Drew MacFadyen[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Virtual conference for translation agencies session (2010): Machine Translation Trends

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »