Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Virtual conference for freelancers session (2010): Quality in translation - a discussion on quality standards for today's freelance translator

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com virtual conferences » "Virtual conference for freelancers session (2010): Quality in translation - a discussion on quality standards for today's freelance translator".
You can see the ProZ.com virtual conferences page and participate in this discussion from there.

amlmahrous
amlmahrous
Local time: 01:10
Arabic to English
people overestimating of their language level Sep 30, 2010

everyday, l meet new people who claim that they are perfect simply because are able to communicate in English with native speakers who exert great efforts just to get the main point. It is forgivable as long as both feel satisfied, but of course , it is not when one of them asks you to translate specific text for him and then interferes with your work telling you that he is the expert just because he exchanged some greetings with a native speaker one day . this kind of clients does not know t... See more
everyday, l meet new people who claim that they are perfect simply because are able to communicate in English with native speakers who exert great efforts just to get the main point. It is forgivable as long as both feel satisfied, but of course , it is not when one of them asks you to translate specific text for him and then interferes with your work telling you that he is the expert just because he exchanged some greetings with a native speaker one day . this kind of clients does not know that language is flexible and many words are used in different ways to indicate completely varied meanings in various contexts.so all I would like to add is that not all clients are open- minded.Collapse

1assie (X)
1assie (X)
English to Russian
+ ...
Viewing discussion scripts Sep 30, 2010

I would be grateful if someone could tell me whether the contents (the script) of "Quality in translation" discussion would be available for reading. This is my first experience of a virtual conference and I've missed most of the discussion. (FAQ section says that "All sessions will be available to view again, approximately one hour after the session broadcast time.")
Thanks a lot!
A.

David Howard
David Howard  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:10
French to English
+ ...
My take on quality Sep 30, 2010

Having heard the seminar on translation rates in the industry, it seems that agencies in particular are willing to pay higher rates for better quality - they way they saw it was that better quality means less time spent on returning work for editing and correcting.

One of the freelancers on the panel suggested that if every translator were to increase their rate and take on less work the whole industry would benefit; more time spent on translations, higher standards, more work for f
... See more
Having heard the seminar on translation rates in the industry, it seems that agencies in particular are willing to pay higher rates for better quality - they way they saw it was that better quality means less time spent on returning work for editing and correcting.

One of the freelancers on the panel suggested that if every translator were to increase their rate and take on less work the whole industry would benefit; more time spent on translations, higher standards, more work for freelancers, less stress with lower volume, and more satisfaction with the job.
Collapse

maryanne65
maryanne65
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
Quality in translation! Sep 30, 2010

For me "quality in translation"means correct interpratation of the text. You have to be an expert in your native language to make an excellent interpatatation. When the translated text gives you an illusion of the original one, you gain excellence in translation.

Arlene Kiefer
Arlene Kiefer
Brazil
Local time: 19:10
English to Portuguese
It is all about quality Sep 30, 2010

Quality of translation depends upon the quality of the translator. The term quality of translation is often used in opposition to quantity of translation and the quality objectives of translators are to attract and retain customers through consistenly superior service and to understand and analize the requirements of costumers. Translation is understanding!

Priscila Siu
Priscila Siu  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 16:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
human expertise and a good translation Sep 30, 2010

I agree with both Viplavi and Halina Arendt. The main purpose of translation is to help convey a message to a different language and culture. Therefore, it needs to analyze that message and produce an equivalent in the target language. In the process, the translator has to make many decisions which are subjective: to remain closer to the author or the target audience; to correct mistakes of the original or not to correct them; to deal with ambiguity, particularly when the author of the orig... See more
I agree with both Viplavi and Halina Arendt. The main purpose of translation is to help convey a message to a different language and culture. Therefore, it needs to analyze that message and produce an equivalent in the target language. In the process, the translator has to make many decisions which are subjective: to remain closer to the author or the target audience; to correct mistakes of the original or not to correct them; to deal with ambiguity, particularly when the author of the original text is not available for clarifications; to make "calcos" of new terms and ideas, or to find existing equivalents in the target language. The above refers to the essence of the message, which is the main purpose of the translation.

Then we have more mechanical aspects, such as grammar usage, correct style, terminology, correct spelling, typos, ... and obvious mistakes such as omissions of substance (not of words, but of ideas).

Translation is clearly subjective and creative. Its "quality" also depends on the subject matter, the intended audience and the importance of the document.

What is a poor translation? That which transgresses the mechanical aspects of it (grammar usage, typos, incorrect spelling, wrong meaning, wrong use of terminology).

What is a good translation? That which satisfies the mechanical aspects of it, and gets closer to convey "the purpose of the original document". (Once again a subjective decision).

In my opinion, far from making translation a more and more impersonal and binary process, recognition should be given to the importance of human expertise in this field.
Collapse

Edson Lopes
Edson Lopes  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:10
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't seem to be able to participate in the discussion Oct 1, 2010

I entered three comments, to make sure my enrollment had be processed to be able to see the content afterwards. However, none of my entries have shown, and each time I access the forum, there is a request to fill the same boxes. I don't know if I am being heard or not.

Edson
Ops, now it seems I finally entered the debate.

[Edited at 2010-10-01 17:26 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Drew MacFadyen[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Virtual conference for freelancers session (2010): Quality in translation - a discussion on quality standards for today's freelance translator

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »