Helena Diaz del Real  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:05
German to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Feb 5, 2010

Hello everybody out there!

First of all, thank you to the organizers for the exahausting job they are doing!

However, I may have overseen it, but I really can't find anywhere the exact adress of the venue.
Please could somebody tell where this Spring Hill College (*) is located? I need to know that for further plannings.

Thank you very much!

Many greeting from white snowed Nuremberg,
Helena Díaz del Real

(*) I p
... See more
Hello everybody out there!

First of all, thank you to the organizers for the exahausting job they are doing!

However, I may have overseen it, but I really can't find anywhere the exact adress of the venue.
Please could somebody tell where this Spring Hill College (*) is located? I need to know that for further plannings.

Thank you very much!

Many greeting from white snowed Nuremberg,
Helena Díaz del Real

(*) I presume this is where the conference itself takes place, isn't it?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-07-24 19:09 GMT]
Collapse

Hacene
Hacene  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:05
English to French
+ ...
Spring hill college on Wake Green Road Feb 6, 2010

Dear Helena,

Thank you for your kind words and your interest in this event.

If you look on the Venue tab, you should have the first map showing you the name of the street, and further down 2 maps showing you how to get there from the airport and from the New Street station (the main train station in Birmingham).

It is true that the add
... See more
Dear Helena,

Thank you for your kind words and your interest in this event.

If you look on the Venue tab, you should have the first map showing you the name of the street, and further down 2 maps showing you how to get there from the airport and from the New Street station (the main train station in Birmingham).

It is true that the address is not written in full, but the exact details will be provided to the registered attendants via email a couple of weeks before the event.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards,

Hacène
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:05
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Address and website of school Feb 7, 2010

Spring Hill College is part of Moseley Language School.
On their website, they list this address:

Moseley School, College Road, Birmingham, B13 9LR

http://www.moseley.plus.myvle.org/

Hacene
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
need to be precise Feb 7, 2010

Dear Katalin,

Thank you for the additional data.

However, this school is composed of several buildings and of several entrances.

For our event, the entrance we will use is located on Wake Green Road.

Kind regards,

Hacène

[Edited at 2010-02-07 11:58 GMT]

Helena Diaz del Real
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
@ Katalin and Hacène Feb 7, 2010

Hello!

@Katalin: I really thank you very much for your help and for the time you spent looking for the missing adress.

@Hacène:
Thank you very much for your information about the location of the venue.

In fact, Hacène, unfortunately it does not help me to know where several buildings in a hughe area are located, if I don't know which one is the right one we are going to be in. For tha
... See more
Hello!

@Katalin: I really thank you very much for your help and for the time you spent looking for the missing adress.

@Hacène:
Thank you very much for your information about the location of the venue.

In fact, Hacène, unfortunately it does not help me to know where several buildings in a hughe area are located, if I don't know which one is the right one we are going to be in. For that reason is for me useless a little map, I can hardly decipher.

If I go to this conference, it will be my seventh one. And I always look for a place to stay overnight in the surroundings, never at the place of the venue and, so far, always a place I found myself out in internet, which turned to be one I really loved. Those places have always meet my own criteria about a place I like to stay overnight. This includes, among other criteria, how easy can the hotel be reached from the venue (i.e. by bus).

Of course, I can't do it, if, as I saw, there are hundreds of bus-stops in an area that, for what I saw (google earth) seem to be as big as the town in Spain I come from!

On the other hand I don't quite understand why you want to give this information only to registrants and make such a secret out of this data...

In short: I would really, really apreciate to know the exact adress of the building we are going to meet and have the conference, as if I don't have this information, I can't search the place to sleep in.

I thank you both, once more and send you many greetings,
Helena
Collapse

Hacene
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
not secret, but not clarified yet with the school Feb 7, 2010

Dear Helena,

I completely understand your position and I there is no mystery.

The school has several entries. Due to the UK laws and safety of the "institutional" premises, I have not been officially communicated yet which entrance we will have to use for the event. All that is certain is that we will not be using the main entrance on College Road, but one of the two entrances on Wake Green Road (most likely Entrance B). Both of these entrances are side by side.
... See more
Dear Helena,

I completely understand your position and I there is no mystery.

The school has several entries. Due to the UK laws and safety of the "institutional" premises, I have not been officially communicated yet which entrance we will have to use for the event. All that is certain is that we will not be using the main entrance on College Road, but one of the two entrances on Wake Green Road (most likely Entrance B). Both of these entrances are side by side.

Several bus lines can get you there from the city centre:
You can have a look at the Birmingham buses page: http://www.travelwm.co.uk/

The closest bus stop is on Wake Green Road about 300 meters from the venue
You can plan your bus journey on http://www.transportdirect.info/Web2/Home.aspx?cacheparam=4

Also, instead of using the bus transport which is going to cost you (£3.30 for a day saver), you could see with other Prozians attending the event and staying in the same hotel and get a "private hire" (a few telephone numbers are listed on the venue tab). This is a form of transport a bit like a taxi (although cheaper). You need to phone the company and the company sends you a car. A normal car will cost you £8.00 to get you from the Etap hotel on Great Colmore street to the venue and an 8 seater will cost you £12.00.

With regard to the hotels, there are a few hotels or beds and breakfasts in close proximity of the venue.
click here to see the hotel map, or if this does not work, copy and paste this link: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&hs=NYD&cr=countryUK|countryGB&oq=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=hotels+in+birmingham&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=hotels&hnear=birmingham&ei=FxlvS8eVO6Ky0gSflrzdBA&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CCoQtgMwAA

Yet, this being said, this map is incorrect. For instance, the Gables is now closed.
The Amex hotel ( http://www.bview.co.uk/listing/2396647/Amex-Hotel-in-B13 ) has only a few rooms and last time I spoke to the landlord, he had no availability at the date of the event.
The Wake Green Road Lodge is completely booked for the event.
The Best Western on Oxford Road is a mystery (probably closed or not yet opened).

In Terms of hotels, the cheapest are all located around Birmingham city center.
The Etap Hotel ( http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?cid=10843930964384361830&q=hotels%20in%20birmingham&gl=uk&hl=en&cd=8&cad=src:pplink&ei=MhlvS6KJCsqoOIfE1MgE ) is the cheapest and it is well located. We have made some agreements with them to have the cheapest possible rates.

I am also currently negotiating discounts with other hotels.
The city centre also offers easier means to get to the venue.

Because of the size of the city, I initially wanted to also do the hotel booking via Proz and provide a car service. Unfortunately the logistics and costs involved did not let me do this.

I hope this will help you.

Kind regards,

Hacène
Collapse

Helena Diaz del Real
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thank you for the detailed information Feb 8, 2010

Hello Hacène,

I want to thank you very much for your comprehensive and very detailed information. Now everything is clear to me.

So now is for me posible to start preparing my stay at the conference.

Ah! And BTW: Comparing with german prices for public transportation, I would say the equivalent to £3.30 for a day saver it is not expensive at all. It is pretty the same as in german big cities......
See more
Hello Hacène,

I want to thank you very much for your comprehensive and very detailed information. Now everything is clear to me.

So now is for me posible to start preparing my stay at the conference.

Ah! And BTW: Comparing with german prices for public transportation, I would say the equivalent to £3.30 for a day saver it is not expensive at all. It is pretty the same as in german big cities...

For the rest, if I go to the converence, I will inform here about the hotel I have booked at the City Center, just in case somebody wants to stay at the same place.

I thank you very muh for all the work you are doing!

Many greetings from Germany,
Helena
Collapse

Hacene
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
Am glad this helped you Feb 8, 2010

Dear Helena,

Thank you for your kind words.

If you need anything with regard to your planning, please let me know I will do my best to help you.

I am looking forward to see you at the conference.

Kind regards,

Hacène

Helena Diaz del Real
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks for your help too, Hacène Feb 8, 2010

Hello Hacène,

Thank you for all your nice words and help.
I will let you know if there is anything you may be able to help me with. Thank you!

(However, as I said, I love to look myself for a place to stay overnight. So I think this won't be a matter for me to ask you about.)

My very best greetings for you!
Helena

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Birmingham conference 2010: Exactly adress of the venue

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »