https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translation_industry_wiki/190009-translator_career_path-page3.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Translator career path

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com translation industry wiki » "Translator career path".
You can see the ProZ.com translation industry wiki page and participate in this discussion from there.

dnasc
dnasc
Local time: 10:55
English to Portuguese
this article is not a bible Feb 1, 2011

I agree that these two options are not the only ones. I myself chose this profession not because I know more than one language. The reason is: I love it. I love translating and I decided not because I might get rich. [I hope I get rich by translating]
and that makes me study and focus on what I like.
Passion itself does not make a good job. But passion and competence together give a better result than only Competence.

But we should not forget the important points shown in th
... See more
I agree that these two options are not the only ones. I myself chose this profession not because I know more than one language. The reason is: I love it. I love translating and I decided not because I might get rich. [I hope I get rich by translating]
and that makes me study and focus on what I like.
Passion itself does not make a good job. But passion and competence together give a better result than only Competence.

But we should not forget the important points shown in this article.
People tend to think that they can be a translator after spending 15 days in Disney.
It takes much more than good knowledge of two languages and "translation education" shows it.
Furthermore, wannabe translator should never forget about "specializing".

this article is only a short definition of the thing it is not [and I think it does not intend to be] like a bible.

Débora Nascimento
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Changes Feb 7, 2011

Hi guys,

I have just made some minor changes to this article, mostly related to required studies, proper knowledge of one's own language and the use of CAT tools.

I included some of the concerns stated by some colleagues above, which I share.

[Edited at 2011-02-07 12:45 GMT]

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Thanks Walter Feb 7, 2011

Excellent, thanks Walter!

Jared

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator career path

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »