https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translation_industry_wiki/184486-risk_management_for_translators_and_interpreters.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Risk management for translators and interpreters

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com translation industry wiki » "Risk management for translators and interpreters".
You can see the ProZ.com translation industry wiki page and participate in this discussion from there.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:17
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 3, 2010

[Edited at 2010-11-03 14:15 GMT]

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Risk management process for translation in France Nov 12, 2010

See this article for risk-management information specific to France (in French):

http://www.sfmtraduction.com/marmite/?p=206

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 02:17
SITE STAFF
Thanks Sara Nov 15, 2010

Thanks Sara for the link. I've added it to the article. Any additional information can be added to the article by clicking on the "edit" tab at the top of the page.

Best regards,

Jared

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
A suggestion Nov 16, 2010

This is nice and comprehensive. However, I think it is worth mentioning that if a translator cannot positively establish enough reasons to trust a new client, then he or she can always ask for full or part payment in advance. In my experience, serious clients are very likely to accept this proposal from a new supplier (in Spain, at least).

BTW. Google Maps is not infallible. It shows an awful structure as being my house, and I have been trying for months to get them to delete the pho
... See more
This is nice and comprehensive. However, I think it is worth mentioning that if a translator cannot positively establish enough reasons to trust a new client, then he or she can always ask for full or part payment in advance. In my experience, serious clients are very likely to accept this proposal from a new supplier (in Spain, at least).

BTW. Google Maps is not infallible. It shows an awful structure as being my house, and I have been trying for months to get them to delete the photo.
Collapse

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Risk management for translators and interpreters Nov 16, 2010

an example
Euler Hermes Group FAQ
http://www.eulerhermes.it/it/faqs-glossario/faqs-glossario.html#3
Is there a minimum insurable turnover?
Euler Hermes SIAC generally does not manage companies with a turnover of less than 500,000 Euro ...

I wish I was able to have this turnover !
See more
an example
Euler Hermes Group FAQ
http://www.eulerhermes.it/it/faqs-glossario/faqs-glossario.html#3
Is there a minimum insurable turnover?
Euler Hermes SIAC generally does not manage companies with a turnover of less than 500,000 Euro ...

I wish I was able to have this turnover !

rather, do a look here
http://proz.uservoice.com/forums/37172-general/suggestions/1226615-proz-credit-insurance-on-line-tool

and vote, if it sounds interesting, or propose fixing a more precise target

Claudio
Collapse

George Amolochitis
George Amolochitis  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 08:17
Member (2005)
English to Greek
+ ...
George Amolochitis' Comment on Risk Management Nov 29, 2010

I totally agree! Points 1-6 regarding qualification of a new outsourcer have to be observed carefully before any new order will be accepted. Scammers should be isolated and their data should be known in the Free Lance Translators world in order to be put out of business!

Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza  Identity Verified

English to German
+ ...
Delay of payment is not mentioned Nov 29, 2010

In the recommendations for things to check before contracting for a job offer there is no mention of inquiring about the proposed delay of payment.

It is interesting that this has been forgotten here - as this is to my observation being regularly "forgotten" in about 70% or more of new job offers I get and not mentioned in around the same proportion of Purchase orders.

BTW - I have tried to insert this as Edit in the above Wiki article - by inserting another numbered paragr
... See more
In the recommendations for things to check before contracting for a job offer there is no mention of inquiring about the proposed delay of payment.

It is interesting that this has been forgotten here - as this is to my observation being regularly "forgotten" in about 70% or more of new job offers I get and not mentioned in around the same proportion of Purchase orders.

BTW - I have tried to insert this as Edit in the above Wiki article - by inserting another numbered paragraph 6. and changing the previous number 8. to 7.

The editing seemed to work quite well - as in the general Wikipedia. But I had forgotten to set the subject of the paragraph bold. But it did not get the possibility to adjust my editing - as in the general Wikipedia - but was told that my session was terminated and that I had to log out of ProZ.com and to log in again at ProZ.com - which I had really to do.

But now my editing is no longer visible even for me - and I wonder whether it has been lost completely or will show up after vetting.

Roland Nienerza
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Delay of payment is not mentioned - Intentionally Nov 29, 2010

Roland Nienerza wrote:

I am not sure how the customer's proposal about payment term has an influence in the qualitication of a new customer. To me, the proposed term is something you accept or reject, the same you would accept or reject the choice of CAT, format of the files, or any other conditions of the cooperation.

I don't see a need to add it to this particular page. Can you explain why you think it would be important?

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
European guideline Nov 29, 2010

While I can see you point, Tomás, I think that linking to the EU guideline on payment terms could not do any harm.

Personally, I have stopped working for clients whose payment terms exceed 30 days EOM. And when potential clients contact me, this is one of the first elements I mention, along with the fact that my services are provided under the GT&C of the Société française des traducteurs (SFT).

I find it very useful to sort wheat from chaff.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
OK, then add it! :-) Nov 29, 2010

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:
While I can see you point, Tomás, I think that linking to the EU guideline on payment terms could not do any harm.

Yes, I agree that preferring 30 days is very legitimate indeed. However, a bad customer can say yes to a payment in 30 days (or in 21 days, or in 3 days, for that matter) and then ignore it completely. I think that the page as it stands now serves the main purpose: making sure a customer is legitimate and establishing the job at hand.

About the payment terms, I would add it as a separate section in the same page, with a reference to the EU guideline and the recommended conditions of Associations if you have them.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
Done Nov 29, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
About the payment terms, I would add it as a separate section in the same page, with a reference to the EU guideline and the recommended conditions of Associations if you have them.

Done - as I had the time to do it

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Upfont and milestone payment Nov 30, 2010

Hi Laurent, congrats - edit: and Tomas, of course - nice work so far. But I am missing one of the most basic risk management strategies, could you please add it?
Upfront payment and - for larger projects - milestone payment solutions. E.g. upfront of a percentage upon start, payment for a next milestone upon delivery of a part of the translation like at a 50% progress stage and paying the rest upon delivery of the last files. You know, agency terms are simply not the rule of the world, th
... See more
Hi Laurent, congrats - edit: and Tomas, of course - nice work so far. But I am missing one of the most basic risk management strategies, could you please add it?
Upfront payment and - for larger projects - milestone payment solutions. E.g. upfront of a percentage upon start, payment for a next milestone upon delivery of a part of the translation like at a 50% progress stage and paying the rest upon delivery of the last files. You know, agency terms are simply not the rule of the world, there are also normal direct clients out there... :]

(see also e.g. http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Determining_your_rates_and_fees_as_a_translator#Payment_terms )

[Edited at 2010-11-30 09:34 GMT]
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
À tout seigneur, tout honneur... Nov 30, 2010

Just to clarify: Tomás' input accounts for nearly 100% of the article, I did only link to the 2000/35/EC directive and to the recommended GT&C of the SFT.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks! Nov 30, 2010

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:
Just to clarify: Tomás' input accounts for nearly 100% of the article, I did only link to the 2000/35/EC directive and to the recommended GT&C of the SFT.

This honours you Laurent, but was completely unnecessary!

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
'Xcuse me... Nov 30, 2010

Hello Tomas, congrats to you for the nearly 100% of the article... no idea where I found Laurent as the author name, sry for the misunderstanding.

But back to my former question - any chances for a complement re. upfront and milestones? I can add a paragraph, but wouldn't do it in this case before talking about it first.

[Edited at 2010-11-30 09:34 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Risk management for translators and interpreters

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »