https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translation_industry_wiki/159185-prozcom_wiki.html&phpv_redirected=1

Proz.com Wiki
Thread poster: Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:35
French to English
Feb 28, 2010

I have just noticed that the Proz.com Wiki is now available through a direct link under the new "Member Activities" menu. It seems like this is an entirely new Wiki, has the old one (www.proz.com/prozwiki) been abandoned? Will articles from the old one be transferred to the new one?

Also - my anti-virus gives me a warning when I connect to the new wiki, the page is "not safe". Well I went there
... See more
I have just noticed that the Proz.com Wiki is now available through a direct link under the new "Member Activities" menu. It seems like this is an entirely new Wiki, has the old one (www.proz.com/prozwiki) been abandoned? Will articles from the old one be transferred to the new one?

Also - my anti-virus gives me a warning when I connect to the new wiki, the page is "not safe". Well I went there anyhow and so far no disastrous consequences to my computer
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 06:35
SITE FOUNDER
Yes, we could migrate them... Mar 1, 2010

Yes, the new one will replace the old one. Did you use the old one?

Any feedback on the concept would be appreciated. User contributions have been limited so far.

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:35
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Mar 1, 2010

I contributed to the old one when it was first announced, glad to see that development of this feature is not forgotten.

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:05
German to English
Could become a valuable resource Mar 1, 2010

I just had a look and will try and contribute whenever I come across something or have the time.

Henry D wrote:

User contributions have been limited so far.

That's a pity. As far as I remember, the wiki was suggested by a member and a lot of people agreed that it was a good idea at the time, so there ought to be more contributions. It's something like the dictionary and reference board. There were numerous forum postings asking for one, and now that it's there, response is not that great. Dictionaries from many language pairs are not even represented there yet.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 06:35
SITE FOUNDER
Not giving up Mar 1, 2010

I agree that this could be a very valuable resource. People here have always been eager to collaborate and contribute for mutual benefit, I don't think that is an issue here.

The group of members that attempted to get a wiki going decided to try to write a certain number of articles before opening the wiki up to the broader community. I think this "closed" approach was a mistake. In the end, they seem not to have had time to see it through.

Now, the wiki is posted and
... See more
I agree that this could be a very valuable resource. People here have always been eager to collaborate and contribute for mutual benefit, I don't think that is an issue here.

The group of members that attempted to get a wiki going decided to try to write a certain number of articles before opening the wiki up to the broader community. I think this "closed" approach was a mistake. In the end, they seem not to have had time to see it through.

Now, the wiki is posted and open -- at http://www.proz.com/wiki (See, for example, "Translation in the UK") -- but I think we need to do a better job of letting people know about it, and a better job of making it clear that you can contribute freely. We'll stay on it!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proz.com Wiki

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »