B Sweeney (X)
B Sweeney (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 7, 2008

Dear Romina,

I was more than a little disappointed to see another Argentinian text chosen as the source text for the 6th translation contest, given that the last contest´s source text was also Argentinian. I´m sure many prozians would agree with me in saying that a bit more balance is required, which would bring with it not just more variety, but also, more challenges.
However, in the name of equality, I personally feel some explanation should be given as to why the work of
... See more
Dear Romina,

I was more than a little disappointed to see another Argentinian text chosen as the source text for the 6th translation contest, given that the last contest´s source text was also Argentinian. I´m sure many prozians would agree with me in saying that a bit more balance is required, which would bring with it not just more variety, but also, more challenges.
However, in the name of equality, I personally feel some explanation should be given as to why the work of Argentinian authors has been chosen for two consecutive contests. I would hate to think that this is simply a case of biased selection.
Thank you,

Barbara Sweeney
Collapse

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:01
German to English
Agree Feb 8, 2008

Hi Barbara,

Although Spanish to English is not my language pair and I am not participating in the present contest (German is not represented so far), I agree with you about the selection of the Spanish text and also sincerely hope that this is not some kind of bias.

There are so many countries in the Spanish speaking world, all of which have produced interesting and wonderful literature. I'm sure it would also be more of a challenge to contest participants to try their
... See more
Hi Barbara,

Although Spanish to English is not my language pair and I am not participating in the present contest (German is not represented so far), I agree with you about the selection of the Spanish text and also sincerely hope that this is not some kind of bias.

There are so many countries in the Spanish speaking world, all of which have produced interesting and wonderful literature. I'm sure it would also be more of a challenge to contest participants to try their hand at texts from different parts of the Hispanic world.

Best regards,
Niraja
Collapse

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Source text selection Feb 8, 2008

Dear bsweeney and Niraja,

Thank you for expressing your interest in the ProZ.com Translation Contests!

The source text selection process involves a number of different steps. Obtaining the corresponding authorization to use the text is one of them. For this contest there were other Spanish source texts pre-selected by authors of other nationalities whose authorization is still pending.

On the other hand, I believe that having the opportunity to translate an
... See more
Dear bsweeney and Niraja,

Thank you for expressing your interest in the ProZ.com Translation Contests!

The source text selection process involves a number of different steps. Obtaining the corresponding authorization to use the text is one of them. For this contest there were other Spanish source texts pre-selected by authors of other nationalities whose authorization is still pending.

On the other hand, I believe that having the opportunity to translate an unpublished piece by Julio Cortázar is a unique challenge in itself.

I really appreciate your interest. Please contact me at [email protected] if you would like to get involved in the source text selection process.

Regards,
Romina
Collapse

B Sweeney (X)
B Sweeney (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Future contests Feb 8, 2008

Hi Romina,

Thanks for the explanation. I think I understand now that it´s not so easy to get authorisation for a text, and also, that when you found the opportunity to use a still unpublished exerpt from a renowned author´s new work, you jumped at the chance! I´m sure a lot of people will find this piece challenging and rewarding.

However, I would like to make a suggestion for the future. Perhaps if you left a little more time between contests, it would give you suff
... See more
Hi Romina,

Thanks for the explanation. I think I understand now that it´s not so easy to get authorisation for a text, and also, that when you found the opportunity to use a still unpublished exerpt from a renowned author´s new work, you jumped at the chance! I´m sure a lot of people will find this piece challenging and rewarding.

However, I would like to make a suggestion for the future. Perhaps if you left a little more time between contests, it would give you sufficient time to get authorisation for at least a couple of different texts from different countries.

In fact, it wasn´t until I started thinking about this problem that I began to think about the contest in general -about where it´s going. Last year there were five contests. I´m not doubting that everyone enjoyed them, but if we keep this rate up, isn´t it possible that people will become a little jaded by the contest? Perhaps, in the interests of maintaining high quality - of everything from the choice of text to the final vote - two or at most three contests should be held per year. This would also help to keep the contest fresh and exciting, and who knows, maybe even more people would find the time to take part.

Thank you,
Barbara

[Edited at 2008-02-08 12:23]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

6th translation contest -source material

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »