Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
The Fourth Translation Contest is now in the final VOTING phase!
Thread poster: María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
Local time: 04:39
SITE STAFF
Sep 19, 2007

Dear all,

Voting is underway in the Fourth ProZ.com Translation Contest!

Members and non-members are all kindly invited to review the different language pairs and enjoy the way other translators handled the challenge. And if you meet the conditions required to vote, consider doing so and posting comments that may help us all learn and have fun.

Winners will receive a digital certificate, recognition in the forums and, if desired, an icon in their profiles.<
... See more
Dear all,

Voting is underway in the Fourth ProZ.com Translation Contest!

Members and non-members are all kindly invited to review the different language pairs and enjoy the way other translators handled the challenge. And if you meet the conditions required to vote, consider doing so and posting comments that may help us all learn and have fun.

Winners will receive a digital certificate, recognition in the forums and, if desired, an icon in their profiles.

You can help decide the winner in each language pair here: http://www.proz.com/contests

Voting will close at 3pm GMT on September 27.

Thanks for all your participation and support!

Kind regards,
Florencia
Collapse

CHRISOULA KALOGERAKI-REVI
Greece
Local time: 09:39
English to Greek
+ ...
GREEK CONTEST Sep 19, 2007

Florencia hi,

I'm very glad that Ι have managed to participate in this contest, and I really enjoyed the context.

As far as I realised there is my name on the translated text, I have probably somehow mistaken, and I don't think it's fair against the other participants.

If it's possible now , please remove my name.

Thanks
Chrisa Kalogeraki-Revi

Joanna Borowska
Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:39
English to Polish
No reason to worry Sep 19, 2007

Chrisoula, your name is visible only to you When you log out, you'll see only the number

Greece
Local time: 09:39
English to Greek
+ ...
GREEK CONTEST Sep 19, 2007

It's ok Joanna, thanks for your answer.

Chrisa

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:39
French to Portuguese
+ ...
My entry in the contest Sep 19, 2007

Hi Florencia,

I've submitted an entry with the Spanish text into Portuguese and I can't see it?

Does that mean I was desqualified or something?

Regards
Ivana

Elisabete Cunha
Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Votes Sep 19, 2007

Hi, Florencia

I've noticed that in the final stage we can't see any votes, although in the qualifying stage we could see it.

Is there a way of knowing or it's supposed to be like that?

Regards,
Elisabete

jack_speak
jack_speak  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:39
English to Portuguese
+ ...
about commenting on contest entries Sep 20, 2007

Hi Florencia. I sent you an email just now not having known about this forum. I'll ask again here in the forum for everyone else's benefit.

I entered the contest and wonder:

(1) if someone makes a comment on my entry, will I only see the comment after voting is finished?

(2) can we also make comments on entries AFTER the voting is complete?

Thanks very much!
-Jack

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Substantiating choices Sep 20, 2007

Hullo, Florencia;

In future contests, it would be a good idea for members voting against a particular entry to substantiate their decision (succinctly). This would curb the risk of intrusion from (inter)personal or intercultural factors (e.g. in the latter case, entries from different major dialect areas of a given language).

With kind regards,
Adam.

[Edited at 2007-09-21 04:17]

Elisabete Cunha
Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
With Adam Sep 20, 2007

I couldn't agree more. People should state the reasons why they vote against, because I believe the votes will appear in the final results. So the contestants have the right to know why they have received a negative vote.

Elisabete

IanDhu wrote:

Hullo, Florencia;

In future contests, it would be a good idea for members voting against a particular entry to substantiate their decision (succinctly). This would curb the risk of intrusion from (inter)personal factors.

With kind regards,
Adam.

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
How does "Add Note" work? Should maybe include in FAQ? Sep 20, 2007

I voted today in my language pairs but was curious about the "Add Note" function. Will only the author receive these, or will they be made public, whether that text wins or not? Will my comments remain anonymous? I would be happy to give feedback and talk about strong/weak points of the translation, but I'd like to know ahead of time whether others will see that feedback and/or whether the author will know who I am. I ask this not because I don't stand behind what I say but because I don't want ... See more
I voted today in my language pairs but was curious about the "Add Note" function. Will only the author receive these, or will they be made public, whether that text wins or not? Will my comments remain anonymous? I would be happy to give feedback and talk about strong/weak points of the translation, but I'd like to know ahead of time whether others will see that feedback and/or whether the author will know who I am. I ask this not because I don't stand behind what I say but because I don't want to criticize a colleague and then have it splashed all over proz.com - especially since some people are calling for mandatory substantiation of negative votes.

Could we add a section to the contest FAQ addressing this? Or has this issue already been clarified in previous contests and I just missed out?

[Edited at 2007-09-20 10:37]
Collapse

Emmanuelle Moulin
Emmanuelle Moulin  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
listing order for entries Sep 20, 2007

Hi Florencia and all,

Just wondering if the fact that my entry is making its way to the top of the listing means that I am getting positive votes, or are they displayed in no particular order?

Regards,

Emmanuelle

María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Here are my answers: Sep 20, 2007

Dear all,

First of all, I would like to thank you for all your participation and support of this contest.

Let's go one by one:

Dear Ivana,

You are right, your entry has been disqualified. If it is not visible in the voting phase, it means that.
Come on...cheer up! There will be other contest and more opportunities to make it. Don't give up please!
And thank you for taking part in the contest!

Dear Elizabeth,
... See more
Dear all,

First of all, I would like to thank you for all your participation and support of this contest.

Let's go one by one:

Dear Ivana,

You are right, your entry has been disqualified. If it is not visible in the voting phase, it means that.
Come on...cheer up! There will be other contest and more opportunities to make it. Don't give up please!
And thank you for taking part in the contest!

Dear Elizabeth,

It is supposed to be like that, to create expectation, number of votes that entries have will be visible when voting is closed.

Dear Jack,

1) If someone makes a comment on your entry, he or she will have the option to make the comment visible to all, to contestant only or to staff. It will depend on the intention of the one who makes you the comment.
2) The possibility to "Add note" after the voting is not possible. However, there will be room for discussion and feedback in each language pair, to allow participants to receive feedback on their entries.
There will be also room for feedback and comments of the contest as whole.

Dear IanDhu,

Thanks for your suggestion. We will consider it for future contests.

Dear Michele,

I guess I have already answered your question in Jack's reply. In fact, you have the option of adding a note to that entry and make the comment visible only to staff, to the contestant only or to all.
I will add it to the FAQs to make it clear for everyone as well.

Dear Emmanuelle,

Entries in this stage are presented in random order. Each viewer will get the same random sort order that they get the first time they logged in. This is to prevent confusion when voting for a given entry.

Well, I guess I have answered every ones doubts and concerns.

Once again thank you for taking part in this contest.

Please let me know if you have any other question.

Kind regards,
Florencia
Collapse

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Where have all the Dutch entries gone? Sep 20, 2007

Two weeks ago or so, I gave an indication of which of the many translations into Dutch I thought had a chance of winning. Now, there is only one left by the looks of it and all the others have disappeared, meaning there is no contest into Dutch.
Does that mean that all the other entries were disqualified? I don't quite understand how the contest works this time round...
By the way, I did not take part, but I'm curious as to what happened.

María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Do you mean English to Dutch? Sep 20, 2007

Dear Anne,

Which pair are you referring to?
As regards English to Dutch there were 12 entries submitted and 8 entries that have made it to the final round voting.

Please tell me which language pair are you referring to?

Kind regards,
Florencia

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes, you're right Sep 20, 2007

You're right, I must have looked at the wrong combination.
Thanks.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Fourth Translation Contest is now in the final VOTING phase!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »