Winners of the second ProZ.com's translation contest
Thread poster: María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
Local time: 22:28
SITE STAFF
Apr 25, 2007

Dear members,

I would like to thank you all for showing your interest and participating in the Second Translation Contest running on ProZ.com.

In particular, congratulations to the winners!

The winners of this contest are shown in the contest page http://www.proz.com/?sp=event/contest_board with a direct link to their winning translations and all the qual
... See more
Dear members,

I would like to thank you all for showing your interest and participating in the Second Translation Contest running on ProZ.com.

The winners of this contest are shown in the contest page http://www.proz.com/?sp=event/contest_board with a direct link to their winning translations and all the qualified entries in each language pair.

A feature has been added where you will be able to enter feedback and suggestions about the contest as a whole. We would like to hear first from all of the participants who either submitted an entry, qualified or voted during the contest. This feature will be later opened to members who choose not to participate.
There is another feature available in each language pair where contest participants are invited to post comments to the qualified entries.

Once again, thanks for all your support!

Hope to see you all in the next contest.

Kind regards,
Florencia
Collapse

Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Thank YOU, Florencia! Apr 25, 2007

Thank YOU, Florencia, for organizing the second literary translation contest.

Warm regards,

Mónica (Uruguay)

Yuri Smirnov
Yuri Smirnov  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:28
English to Belarusian
+ ...
Appreciation Apr 25, 2007

Thanks for organizing the contest!

But, of course, we/you need to think about how to involve more members/non-members in voting, because like zero votes in some pairs (Fr-Ru, for example) is something to think about.

But I will be taking part in all the future contests in my pairs, even if the rules and the involvement are the same It's fun. And a challenge.

Thanks again.

[Edited at 20
... See more
Thanks for organizing the contest!

But, of course, we/you need to think about how to involve more members/non-members in voting, because like zero votes in some pairs (Fr-Ru, for example) is something to think about.

But I will be taking part in all the future contests in my pairs, even if the rules and the involvement are the same It's fun. And a challenge.

Thanks again.

[Edited at 2007-04-25 21:01]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:28
English to French
+ ...
Congrats to the winners! Apr 25, 2007

Some of you did a really great job, even though I couldn't vote for all of you (although I am a polyglot and can appreicate many of the entries, not all the languages I speak are part of my working languages). :'(

Also, thanks for making this contest available to a larger number of translators! Will the contest be open to non-members as well in the future?

However, it seems that less translators participated than last time. Anybody has an idea why? I think it's a shame
... See more
Some of you did a really great job, even though I couldn't vote for all of you (although I am a polyglot and can appreicate many of the entries, not all the languages I speak are part of my working languages). :'(

Also, thanks for making this contest available to a larger number of translators! Will the contest be open to non-members as well in the future?

However, it seems that less translators participated than last time. Anybody has an idea why? I think it's a shame that some people participated but never got a chance to win because not enough people entered in those language pairs. Maybe a prize, no matter how small, could motivate users to participate more in the future (6-month membership, ProZ T-shirt, $50 Amazon.com or Thinkgeek.com gift certificate, etc.)?
Collapse

Larissa Boutrimova
Larissa Boutrimova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:28
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you Florencia Apr 26, 2007

Keep up the good work

[Редактировалось 2007-04-26 11:09]

Veronika Wagner
Veronika Wagner  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 03:28
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thank you again Apr 26, 2007

Dear Florencia,

I hope you won't give up the idea of contests, as some members really enjoy participating, although it would be worth thinking about some incentives for participation and voting. I will definitely remain active in this field. It's great fun, indeed. Some people might think that we should not advertise our far-from-good attempts, however, I think it's not a shame if a translator working in other fields than literary translation dares to give it a go. Thanks for all pa
... See more
Dear Florencia,

I hope you won't give up the idea of contests, as some members really enjoy participating, although it would be worth thinking about some incentives for participation and voting. I will definitely remain active in this field. It's great fun, indeed. Some people might think that we should not advertise our far-from-good attempts, however, I think it's not a shame if a translator working in other fields than literary translation dares to give it a go. Thanks for all participants and voters as well.

Veronika
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:28
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Thank you for organising the contest Apr 26, 2007

Florencia Vita wrote:

Dear members,

The winners of this contest are shown in the contest page http://www.proz.com/?sp=event/contest_board with a direct link to their winning translations and all the qualified entries in each language pair.

A feature has been added where you will be able to enter feedback and suggestions about the contest as a whole. We would like to hear first from all of the participants who either submitted an entry, qualified or voted during the contest. This feature will be later opened to members who choose not to participate.
There is another feature available in each language pair where contest participants are invited to post comments to the qualified entries.

Once again, thanks for all your support!

Hope to see you all in the next contest.

Kind regards,
Florencia

Thank you for organising the second contest, Florencia.
I didn't send in an entry simply because I've had mounds of work lately and didn't have enough time or energy to devote to it, but I certainly will enter the next one if time allows.
This could be one of the reasons why there weren't more entries and why not many people voted in some categories. Even reading through the entries and assessing them takes quite a bit of time.
I thought the winning entry in the French-English section (Martin's) was excellent, and it was the one I voted for. Well done, Martin.
Kind regards,
Jenny.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Thank you Florencia Apr 26, 2007

This competition is really nice, and I have to say I am very proud to be one of the winners, especially because literarture is not one of my specializations.
I also appreciated most of the entries, even if I couldn't vote for all of them.
Congratulations to the other winners!

[Edited at 2007-04-26 08:44]

Manuela Ferrari
Manuela Ferrari  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Thanks Florencia Apr 26, 2007

Thanks for organizing the contest. It was fun!

Looking forward to the next one!

Manu

Manuela Ferrari
Manuela Ferrari  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
I would like to add... Apr 26, 2007

Dear Florencia,

Please keep the contests going and don't give up, because they are really good fun and very interesting. Besides, it gives translators who don't normally work on literary texts the opportunity to challenge themselves with this kind of texts and it's great!

Manu

María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Dear all! Apr 26, 2007

As I told you before, thank you all for taking part in this second translation contest. I really appreciate your feedback and suggestions on this thread.
It is a pleasure for me to organize this kind of community events and don't worry that I won't give up.
We learnt from the first contest and we have learnt from this one as well.
Next time we are planning to give more approachable texts in order to encourage more members to participate.
We are also planning to add more f
... See more
As I told you before, thank you all for taking part in this second translation contest. I really appreciate your feedback and suggestions on this thread.
It is a pleasure for me to organize this kind of community events and don't worry that I won't give up.
We learnt from the first contest and we have learnt from this one as well.
Next time we are planning to give more approachable texts in order to encourage more members to participate.
We are also planning to add more features to the newly contest page to make the contest a periodic activity running in the site which serves as one more outlet for camaraderie and friendship among site members, as well as a means of promoting and recognizing excellence in the art of translation.

Congratulations to all the brave participants and in particular to the winners!

I look forward to seeing you all in the next one!

Kind regards,

Florencia
Collapse

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
I was able to vote for the ENG-Portuguese pair but not for the Spanish-Portuguese Apr 27, 2007

Dear Florencia,

I was able to vote for the ENG-Portuguese pair but not for the Spanish-Portuguese. Why did this happen? Can we only vote once?

I hope I have the time to participate as a translator in the next contest. In these first two, when I looked at the deadline it was the deadline day. I had too much work until then and couldn't do it on the very same day.

I'll be waiting for the next o
... See more
Dear Florencia,

I was able to vote for the ENG-Portuguese pair but not for the Spanish-Portuguese. Why did this happen? Can we only vote once?

I hope I have the time to participate as a translator in the next contest. In these first two, when I looked at the deadline it was the deadline day. I had too much work until then and couldn't do it on the very same day.

I'll be waiting for the next one and I hope there will be more people participating.
Collapse

María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
You are able to vote in the language pairs that are declared in your profile Apr 27, 2007

Dear Ivana,

The only condition to be able to vote was that members need to have the corresponding language pair among their "working" or "interest" pairs.
I have found that you were unable to vote for the Spanish> Portuguese texts because there were only two finalists' entries. Remember that voting was possible only in pairs where at least three entries were qualified in the previous phase.

I look forward to seeing you as a translator in the next contest.
... See more
Dear Ivana,

The only condition to be able to vote was that members need to have the corresponding language pair among their "working" or "interest" pairs.
I have found that you were unable to vote for the Spanish> Portuguese texts because there were only two finalists' entries. Remember that voting was possible only in pairs where at least three entries were qualified in the previous phase.

I look forward to seeing you as a translator in the next contest.

Thanks for participating!

Kind regards,

Florencia
Collapse

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Thank you Florencia Apr 28, 2007

Next time I will.

Thank you for your answer.

Have a nice weekend.

Regards,
Ivana

Nadine Kahn
Nadine Kahn  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Congratulations and celebrations... Apr 29, 2007

Congrats to the proud winners!

I will read your translations later...
Hopefully there will be a next time! I'm sure it was great fun.

Best

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Winners of the second ProZ.com's translation contest

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »