Second ProZ.com contest qualification phase is underway!
Thread poster: María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
Local time: 19:45
SITE STAFF
Apr 12, 2007

Dear members,

The contest is now in the QUALIFICATION phase. At this stage site members having the corresponding language pair among their "working" or "interest" pairs will be able to express their peer-grading (whether they like the entry or not) of as many entries as they want.

The net peer-grading of each entry (votes for it minus votes against it) will be computed and used to decide if will move into the voting phase. As soon as an entry reaches a positive or negat
... See more
Dear members,

The contest is now in the QUALIFICATION phase. At this stage site members having the corresponding language pair among their "working" or "interest" pairs will be able to express their peer-grading (whether they like the entry or not) of as many entries as they want.

The net peer-grading of each entry (votes for it minus votes against it) will be computed and used to decide if will move into the voting phase. As soon as an entry reaches a positive or negative threshold it will be taken away from the qualification panel.

This qualification stage will last until 3pm (GMT) on April 17, 2007

Please visit the contest page at http://www.proz.com/?sp=event/contest_board or select Community -> Contest at the top dropdown menu.

Kind regards,

Florencia

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-04-12 19:51]
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 18:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Pardon my stupidity, but... Apr 13, 2007

...does that mean it's too late to submit a translation? I assume so, but I've looked around a bit and not found any clear statement to that effect.

Bummer. I had every intention of entering this time and had started my translation, but a double ear infection blindsided me (along with 11 days of no Internet at home--I'd rather run a marathon!).

I've done my bit and voted. Were there really so very few entries, or is it that many entries have already been disqualified?

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Sorry, too late for submissions Apr 15, 2007

JaneTranslates wrote:

...does that mean it's too late to submit a translation?

Hi Jane, I am sorry that your translation could not be posted. The submision phase of the contest ended as announced:

Entries can be submitted as late as 3pm (GMT) on April 12th, 2007.

Regards,
Enrique

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sorry, my point wasn't clear. Apr 15, 2007

Enrique wrote:

...ended as announced:...

Regards,
Enrique

Yes, thank you, Enrique. Obviously, I saw the end date when the contest was originally announced. I simply didn't remember it, and I couldn't find anything CURRENT on the site that stated when it had been. By the way, the announcement that you just quoted to me--did that come from your own knowledge, from something already removed from the site (to which you have access and I have not), or from something CURRENTLY on the site that I wasn't smart enough to find?

It's not a big deal; as I continued the voting process (moving on from evaluating the Esl > Eng portion to the Eng > Esl entries), it became quite clear that I had, once again, missed the deadline for submissions. My own fault, or bad luck, or a combination of the two.

I do hope the contests will continue; I had intended to show my support by participating this time, since I couldn't the first time. Of course, work takes priority over fun, but the contests are an interesting challenge.

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Posted deadline Apr 15, 2007

Hi Jane,

the deadline was visible in the submission page, and it is still posted in the contests announcement, at http://www.proz.com/post/541694#541694

I look forward to receiving your contribution next time

Kind regards,
Enrique

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oh, I see! Thanks... Apr 16, 2007

...for taking the time to satisfy my nagging curiosity. I never thought of going to old forums; I spend too much time on the current forums already! I just looked for info on the "Contest" item in the pulldown Community menu. I was wondering by how much I had missed the deadline, couldn't find the date, and got frustrated. (I frustrate easily when I have one ear infection, let alone two!)

Now I'm curious again...are you going to be "vetting" my translation or "betting on" it? Surely
... See more
...for taking the time to satisfy my nagging curiosity. I never thought of going to old forums; I spend too much time on the current forums already! I just looked for info on the "Contest" item in the pulldown Community menu. I was wondering by how much I had missed the deadline, couldn't find the date, and got frustrated. (I frustrate easily when I have one ear infection, let alone two!)

Now I'm curious again...are you going to be "vetting" my translation or "betting on" it? Surely not the second! Oh dear...now I'm going to be frustrated again, unless poor Enrique answers another of my spectacularly unimportant questions.

Heave a deep, patient sigh...and then feel free to ignore me!

Dios mediante, I will get my act together and submit a translation next time.
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
On vetting and betting and getting :-) Apr 16, 2007

JaneTranslates wrote:

Now I'm curious again...are you going to be "vetting" my translation or "betting on" it? Surely not the second! Oh dear...now I'm going to be frustrated again, unless poor Enrique answers another of my spectacularly unimportant questions.

Dear Jane,

I wonder what I was thinking when I posted above, as I planned to write "I look forward to getting your contribution next time" and I wrote "betting" instead... Could it be a Freudian slip indicating my high confidence in you?

Now to be safer from my own mistakes I wrote "receiving"

Kind regards,
Enrique

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
I am... Apr 16, 2007

...laughing out loud!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Second ProZ.com contest qualification phase is underway!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »