Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
The first translation contest - please share your experience and feedback!
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:05
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
A few suggestions Mar 1, 2007

Hi Florencia,
Hi Proz.com team,

Thank you all for setting up this contest. I participated by sending in a translation. Reading all the entries was definitely interesting and inspiring.

Here are some suggestions:

- I like the idea of mulit-votes.

- I'd welcome a comment box for each entry, not only for the one I want to pick as my favorite. Would it be possible to open all the entries (also those without any votes) for the public now, af
... See more
Hi Florencia,
Hi Proz.com team,

Thank you all for setting up this contest. I participated by sending in a translation. Reading all the entries was definitely interesting and inspiring.

Here are some suggestions:

- I like the idea of mulit-votes.

- I'd welcome a comment box for each entry, not only for the one I want to pick as my favorite. Would it be possible to open all the entries (also those without any votes) for the public now, after the contest has ended, and allow comments for each of them (probably even from members and non-members who did not participate)? To me, an exchange of opinions and a discussion of the single solutions is where the real learning experience sets in.

- Maybe the text should be a bit shorter. I think the length of the text (and the translations) scared many voters away. Reading all the entries in Spanish or German for example really took up a lot of time.

Congratulations to the winners! And thanks to Proz.com for this interesting challenge!

Stefanie
Collapse

María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
Local time: 00:05
SITE STAFF
Thanks for the feedback and excellent suggestions! Mar 1, 2007

Dear members,

Thank you for all the ideas and feedback. There is plenty here for us to use in improving upon the contest structure next time around.

As for the relatively low level of participation, we do not consider it a problem. Several hundred members submitted entries, and we had not expected there to be more. Our goal is simply to provide contests for those who enjoy them.

These are the ideas we will consider:

Dear members,

Thank you for all the ideas and feedback. There is plenty here for us to use in improving upon the contest structure next time around.

As for the relatively low level of participation, we do not consider it a problem. Several hundred members submitted entries, and we had not expected there to be more. Our goal is simply to provide contests for those who enjoy them.

These are the ideas we will consider:

• Option of working in pairs, suggested by Claudette Hepburn.
  • Shorter texts, suggested by gianfranco.
  • Voting on a scale, or some alternative voting approach, suggested by Yaotl Altan and gianfranco.
  • The opportunity to discuss most challenging parts of the text and solutions offered by translators in the respective language forums, suggested by Larissa B
  • Clearer communication, suggested by Jabberwock (We imagine centralizing contests in one area will help this.)
  • Contests in specialized fields, suggested by Francesca Pesce.
  • Receive results and comments about the contest by email, suggested by ASE2.
  • Division by language variant, suggested by Rosa Enciso.
  • A voting interface, suggested by Nicholas Ferreira.
  • Text a bit more difficult, suggested by Karin Maack (vs. text easier, by others)
  • Giving contestants the option of showing their (non-voted-upon) translations with their names, suggested by Roman Bulkiewicz.
  • Browniz points to participant and voters, suggested by Waleed Mohamed.
  • Comment box for each entry, suggested by Stefanie Sendelbach

So thanks again for sharing your ideas and see you all in the next contest!

Kind regards,
Florencia
Collapse

Veronika Wagner
Veronika Wagner  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
THANK YOU Mar 1, 2007

It seems that I'm a bit late. Just wanted to say a big thank you to the organisers!!! I really enjoyed the challenge and, although I find that some of the proposals listed above are worth considering, my only real problem is that I would like to see some critical remarks on the faults and merits of each translation in our thread so that we can draw some more conclusions apart from those suggested by the results.

Kind regards,
Veronika

[Edited at 2007-03-01 16:44]
... See more
It seems that I'm a bit late. Just wanted to say a big thank you to the organisers!!! I really enjoyed the challenge and, although I find that some of the proposals listed above are worth considering, my only real problem is that I would like to see some critical remarks on the faults and merits of each translation in our thread so that we can draw some more conclusions apart from those suggested by the results.

Kind regards,
Veronika

Collapse

Ramon Soto
Ramon Soto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
A glass half full Mar 1, 2007

First off, I would like to thank all those who voted for my entry -- whoever they were.
I would also like to thank Florencia, Henry and Enrique for their wonderful initiative and hard work. I guess they should be the ones getting KudoZ or BrowniZ points for all their troubles. I also hope they won't be deterred from organizing similar contests in the future, in spite of some negative comments.
In response to a couple of messages from other members, I'm open to discussing mine and oth
... See more
First off, I would like to thank all those who voted for my entry -- whoever they were.
I would also like to thank Florencia, Henry and Enrique for their wonderful initiative and hard work. I guess they should be the ones getting KudoZ or BrowniZ points for all their troubles. I also hope they won't be deterred from organizing similar contests in the future, in spite of some negative comments.
In response to a couple of messages from other members, I'm open to discussing mine and other entries in the Spanish-language contest. Perhaps we could open a new thread for this purpose in the Spanish forum.

Thanks!
Ramón
Collapse

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:05
English to Dutch
+ ...
Should a company be allowed to participate? Mar 2, 2007

There has been an bit of a discussion in the Dutch forum about the fact that a company (Nero Ltd.) was declared the winner. The winning entry undoubtedly was very good, but most likely not translated by the owner of the English company. For whatever reason Nero Ltd has also not come forward to say who actually did the translation for them, so the whole thing leaves a bit of a wry aftertaste.
I feel that only entries by real persons should be allowed, not anonymously, not by companies. Su
... See more
There has been an bit of a discussion in the Dutch forum about the fact that a company (Nero Ltd.) was declared the winner. The winning entry undoubtedly was very good, but most likely not translated by the owner of the English company. For whatever reason Nero Ltd has also not come forward to say who actually did the translation for them, so the whole thing leaves a bit of a wry aftertaste.
I feel that only entries by real persons should be allowed, not anonymously, not by companies. Sure, it's just a game, but still, even a game should be played by a set of fair rules. Otherwise next year most of us might just shrug and leave the contest to the most ambitious companies that desperately want to win for commercial reasons.
As it is, it's a great idea that deserves to be developed and I definitely enjoyed reading the entries and some of the brilliant solutions in them. Just keep it Olympic next time.

[Bijgewerkt op 2007-03-02 03:23]
Collapse

Andrey Lipattsev
Andrey Lipattsev  Identity Verified
Ireland
English to Russian
+ ...
Looking forward to the next one! Mar 2, 2007

Am a little late with this one as well, but I couldn't leave it without saying thanks to the organisers. It was a great experience and, indeed, it was "fun" as intended. I am not going to make any suggestions, since a lot has already been said in this thread, but I would definitely like to insist that the experience be repeated on a regular basis with varied texts for various fields.
Congrats to all the winners and better luck next time to everyone else!

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
This thread has been opened to all posters - including those who did not participate Mar 5, 2007

Hi participants,

Thanks for your great ideas and feedback. We are encouraged to improve upon the approach in future contests.

I would like to open up this thread to comments from those who did not participate in the contest, but who reviewed it closely and have feedback on it.

- Do you object to such contests being held?
- Would you participate in a future contest if some change were made?
- What do you think of the ideas that participants have
... See more
Hi participants,

Thanks for your great ideas and feedback. We are encouraged to improve upon the approach in future contests.

I would like to open up this thread to comments from those who did not participate in the contest, but who reviewed it closely and have feedback on it.

- What do you think of the ideas that participants have put forward?

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:05
Flemish to English
+ ...
Voting or correcting. Mar 5, 2007

If you participate in any open competition of any international institution, your translation which is anynonymous is multiplied and graded by a (6) number of translators who do not know each other, working at different places.
The weighed avarage of the marks given by those judges is your final score. Wouldn't it be a good idea to have the translations corrected by several members of the target language. From experience as an English teacher, I know that correcting papers is a lot of wor
... See more
If you participate in any open competition of any international institution, your translation which is anynonymous is multiplied and graded by a (6) number of translators who do not know each other, working at different places.
The weighed avarage of the marks given by those judges is your final score. Wouldn't it be a good idea to have the translations corrected by several members of the target language. From experience as an English teacher, I know that correcting papers is a lot of work. However, feedback by those translators could benifit the entire community. They could be rewarded browniz for their effort.
Now we simply vote: Every language is based upon a syntax and semantics (terminology). It would be helpful if those translators indicate what mistakes have been made against semantics and syntax or why a translation is excellent.
Collapse

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:35
German to English
The next one should include everyone Mar 5, 2007

Hi,

First of all, congratulations to all contest winners and participants.

I hope the next contest will include those of us who translate into English. Maybe there could be a kind of "editing" contest. We could be presented with a badly written English text, which we would have to edit. It would be a good exercise for non-native English speakers as well.

Best regards,
Niraja

[Edited at 2007-03-05 13:36]

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
With Niraja Mar 5, 2007

I couldn't participate as a translator or voter, as I translate into English.

As I don't do literary translations, I probably wouldn't have submitted an entry anyway - but it would have been nice to have the choice!

I've also found it very frustrating that no comments at all have been allowed until now - so I've had to seethe quietly to myself about the exclusion of a vast number of site members.

Having said that, I can see the difficulties in having to p
... See more
I couldn't participate as a translator or voter, as I translate into English.

As I don't do literary translations, I probably wouldn't have submitted an entry anyway - but it would have been nice to have the choice!

I've also found it very frustrating that no comments at all have been allowed until now - so I've had to seethe quietly to myself about the exclusion of a vast number of site members.

Having said that, I can see the difficulties in having to produce a text in every language for translation into English. Niraja's suggestion may be a reasonable compromise.
Collapse

potra
potra
United States
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
Contest Mar 6, 2007

I participated but did not vote as after reviewing all localizations for my language pair, I thought there was not a really 'great translation' rather each translation had exceptional lines (with the exception of a few really bad ones).
I guess the best translation is the collage of the better ones.
It should also be noted that with literary translation, the text starts flowing a while after reading a literary work and writing about it.

Ledja
Ledja  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:05
English to Albanian
+ ...
Glad to participate if allowed Mar 6, 2007

Henry wrote:

Hi participants,

- What do you think of the ideas that participants have put forward?

Thanks in advance.

I was very enthusiastic about participating in the contest... until I found out I hadn't paid enough attention to the rules.
I see nothing wrong with the idea of the contest; at the end of the day, those who wish to get involved can do so and those who don't, can keep themselves busy otherwise.
I am not usually one to challenge rules, but reading previous discussions on the topic, I found that many site members did not seem to consider participation a priviledge, so what exactly did the differentiation serve for?
And yes, I do like the idea of voting with points. Fairer!

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bad timing, for me Mar 8, 2007

I did not participate or vote because the contest came up just as I was starting a large project with a demon deadline. I might still have voted if not for the large number of entries in the Spanish division. To evaluate fairly would have taken at least a couple of hours of reading.

1) I am in favor of these contests.
2) I hope to participate in future contests.
3) The "voting interface" idea is great for any language with more than, say, ten entries. It's impossible to
... See more
I did not participate or vote because the contest came up just as I was starting a large project with a demon deadline. I might still have voted if not for the large number of entries in the Spanish division. To evaluate fairly would have taken at least a couple of hours of reading.

1) I am in favor of these contests.
2) I hope to participate in future contests.
3) The "voting interface" idea is great for any language with more than, say, ten entries. It's impossible to remember them well enough to compare and choose. I don't think the text should be any shorter, though--it takes time and context to "get into" a text, whether translating or evaluating.

You might consider frequent contests with a smaller scope--only a few languages at a time, for instance. And for the larger groups--regional "play-offs," perhaps, with the finalists going to another vote?

Jane
Collapse

Jean-Charles (X)
Jean-Charles (X)
English
+ ...
A contest is a contest Mar 9, 2007

Good evening to all and thanks to the staff.

A contest I think is a contest I mean a way of knowing oneself better or worse.
A contest for fun , yes, but a rather tricky text.
I won't argue about the organization, it's not my job , but I will be present if need be.

I congratulate the winner who felt the text better than the others ( I would not have used some words and in particular le subjuntive some where) But, once more congratulations.

Cla
... See more
Good evening to all and thanks to the staff.

A contest I think is a contest I mean a way of knowing oneself better or worse.
A contest for fun , yes, but a rather tricky text.
I won't argue about the organization, it's not my job , but I will be present if need be.

I congratulate the winner who felt the text better than the others ( I would not have used some words and in particular le subjuntive some where) But, once more congratulations.

Claudette said roughly speaking : no text was without any mistake.
As I am a " grammarian" I would like, dear Claudette to know my mistakes.
Be careful when I used indicative while many translators used subjuntive ( you will find the sentence) I was, I think, right. See the Grévisse.

My friends, a test must be extremely precise.

Let me tell you, for example, " un petit enfant" is not the same as " un jeune enfant".

So long

Best regards

Jean-Charles
Collapse

Maria Nicholas (X)
Maria Nicholas (X)  Identity Verified
Greek to English
+ ...
Contests are a great way to sharpen skills and show competitive spirit Apr 8, 2007

A little late to the conversation, but I'd like to add to it by saying that even though I did not participate this time (translating or voting), I wouldn't mind future contests. The only thing I'd like to see are texts in additional or reverse language pairs (i.e. from source language into English).

Thanks,
Maria

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The first translation contest - please share your experience and feedback!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »