Prozcom Translation Contest
Thread poster: lexical
lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:34
Portuguese to English
Feb 27, 2007

I see from Enrique's announcement that Mário Seita has won the Portuguese translation contest - and all congratulations to him for his extremely elegant Portuguese prose and the way he has captured the flavour of Laurie Lee (whatever we may think about him as an author).

I forget how many people entered the Portuguese contest (the information is no longer available) but only 10 people voted (out of 365 freelancers in this pair - 2.7%), and only 5 of them for Mário. What happened t
... See more
I see from Enrique's announcement that Mário Seita has won the Portuguese translation contest - and all congratulations to him for his extremely elegant Portuguese prose and the way he has captured the flavour of Laurie Lee (whatever we may think about him as an author).

I forget how many people entered the Portuguese contest (the information is no longer available) but only 10 people voted (out of 365 freelancers in this pair - 2.7%), and only 5 of them for Mário. What happened to the nearly 60% of people that we were told supported this idea?

Does this result really justify the amount of staff time (paid for by members, remember) spent on this - to my mind - harebrained scheme?

Having said that, I trust that those who took part found it rewarding, as I'm sure they did.
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:34
English to Spanish
In good company? Feb 27, 2007

Look at the pitiful results of the Spanish voters.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 12:34
SITE FOUNDER
We will launch a thread for discussing the contest shortly. Feb 27, 2007

We will launch a thread for discussing the contest shortly. I would ask that comments be withheld until we do.

We did ask at the outset that people wait until after the contest to comment, and not all of the results have yet been published, so I am locking this thread for the time being. I will reopen it after we have closed out the contest.

Later: OK, here is the thread:
... See more
We will launch a thread for discussing the contest shortly. I would ask that comments be withheld until we do.

We did ask at the outset that people wait until after the contest to comment, and not all of the results have yet been published, so I am locking this thread for the time being. I will reopen it after we have closed out the contest.

Later: OK, here is the thread: http://www.proz.com/topic/67110
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Prozcom Translation Contest

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »