Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
First ProZ contest - what is the status?
Thread poster: Kirill Semenov
María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
Local time: 23:01
SITE STAFF
Thank you all!! Feb 26, 2007

I would like to thank you for participating in the contest and for providing such a valuable feedback.

As Henry pointed out we are planning to review the votes today and to post an announcement of winners tomorrow Tuesday 27th.

Thansk again for your comments, we are going to take them into consideration.

Kind regards,
Florencia

Larissa Boutrimova
Larissa Boutrimova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:01
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
I think the results should be posted in full Feb 26, 2007

Yolande Haneder wrote:
The non winners (or not in the 1st tier) should be a possibility of opting out of showing their names once they noticed with comparing their text with others that they had severe problems in their translations so that the end clients who can compare the results don't end up having doubts about their proficiencies.

I don't think that this contest is about showing the clients our skills. It is supposed to be just for fun and a learning opportunity, with the purpose being for us to compare different styles, share opinions, discuss possible variants of translation and learn about better ways to render challenging English structures into our languages.

But since you've touched this issue, wouldn't it be right if the clients end up having doubts about some translators' competence when they see translations with severy insufficiences? I think it will be only fair to the clients if they see that some translators still need to work hard to hone their skills.

We could have started discussions in our respective forums a week or so ago, when the translations were posted, without disclosing the names, i.e. discussing translations, not translators. For some reason we were asked to refrain from doing it, until the results were posted, although in any contest of such kind discussions start long before the announcement of results - this is the whole point of such contests.

When we voted we did it without knowing who's who, which ensured objectivity and unbiasedness. Now, when the results are about to be posted I think they should be posted in full, including names of winners and of those who did not do well enough, just the way it is done in any competition. Let's take it easy - the winners are selected based on peers' votes, not on once-and-for-all verdicts of sacred judges. Many of us, including myself, are not literary translators, and my opinion is just my opinion.

I think, Hipyan summed it up very nicely:
we should be ready to win and also be ready to lose

If we had the courage to submit the translation, let us be consistent and have the courage to take possible criticisim with dignity and a grain of humour

[Редактировалось 2007-02-26 15:35]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First ProZ contest - what is the status?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »