Thread poster: Luiza Kipper
Luiza Kipper
Luiza Kipper  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:52
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Mar 6, 2015

When is the next translation contest going to be? Any estimations?

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:52
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
You must be kidding Mar 6, 2015

as the last one still isn't finished, at least for some language pairs.

Luiza Kipper
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not kidding Mar 6, 2015

Actually, it does show as finished, with a few language pairs still in voting. As far as I know it's not open for new participants. And for my language pair a winner has already been chosen.

So naturally I want to know when the next one is going to be, so I can participate too.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:52
Italian to English
Frustrating Mar 6, 2015

Forty five people took the trouble to enter in my language pair but a winner has still not been chosen. There was a huge number of comments on the detailed terms and expressions chosen by the contestants (many of them betraying a limited understanding of the target language or its regional variations - but that's another matter) but apparently there was a shortage of votes for the final three entries.

That suggests to me that the judging process needs to be changed to guarantee an
... See more
Forty five people took the trouble to enter in my language pair but a winner has still not been chosen. There was a huge number of comments on the detailed terms and expressions chosen by the contestants (many of them betraying a limited understanding of the target language or its regional variations - but that's another matter) but apparently there was a shortage of votes for the final three entries.

That suggests to me that the judging process needs to be changed to guarantee an outcome. The aim of these contests is laudable - to help distinguish the most talented translators, but if there is no outcome the whole exercise is futile - and an insult to the professionals involved.
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:52
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
REMOVED Mar 6, 2015

REMOVED

[Edited at 2015-03-07 01:00 GMT]

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No way Mar 6, 2015

In order to identify the most talented translators you need talented judges, which unfortunately is not the case, at least in my experience.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Luiza, you simply must be kidding! Mar 7, 2015

Luiza Kipper wrote:

Actually, it does show as finished, with a few language pairs still in voting. As far as I know it's not open for new participants. And for my language pair a winner has already been chosen.

So naturally I want to know when the next one is going to be, so I can participate too.

As far as I can see, we share exactly the same language pairs.

Are we talking about the same and last Proz translation contest, titled "Celebrations"?

For several months already...
  • From English into Portuguese (BR), there are 42 entries stuck in the Qualification round.
  • From Portuguese (BR) into English, there are 20 entries stuck in the Qualification round.

Generally, the entire contest is stuck, and it makes me wonder what will ever happen to it, if anything.

• Luiza Kipper
    Brazil
    Portuguese to English
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Not kidding, really Mar 7, 2015

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Luiza Kipper wrote:

As far as I can see, we share exactly the same language pairs.

Are we talking about the same and last Proz translation contest, titled "Celebrations"?

For several months already...
  • From English into Portuguese (BR), there are 42 entries stuck in the Qualification round.
  • From Portuguese (BR) into English, there are 20 entries stuck in the Qualification round.

Generally, the entire contest is stuck, and it makes me wonder what will ever happen to it, if anything.

• Dear friend,

I am not kidding. Yes, I realized that actually my language pair is still in voting too, shortly after posting this thread. But that does not mean I can participate in it, it's closed for new participants... So naturally, I want to know when the next one is going to be so I can participate too. It's not my fault that the last one isn't going well. I don't see anything wrong with my question.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
    Brazil
    English to Portuguese
    + ...
    In memoriam
    It just went TOO well Mar 7, 2015

Luiza Kipper wrote:

I am not kidding. Yes, I realized that actually my language pair is still in voting too, shortly after posting this thread. But that does not mean I can participate in it, it's closed for new participants... So naturally, I want to know when the next one is going to be so I can participate too. It's not my fault that the last one isn't going well. I don't see anything wrong with my question.

There were just too many contestants in too many language pairs, too many entries, however too few people willing to grade them.

I guess Proz will have to find a sensible way to constrain the contest to a manageable size, as well as find a way to commit enough (qualified) people to evaluate the submissions.

Yet first they'll have to provide this contest with some kind of (acceptable) closure.

If you'd like to have a visual image of what happened here, imagine a marathon having the finish line placed inside a dead-end alley. Instead of the usually small number of contestants, a huge crowd joined in. Some got in the alley, these are the few LPs that already have a winner. All other contestants are gathered on the boulevard the alley comes from, without any idea of their standing.

Carlos A R de Souza
    Carlos A R de Souza  Identity Verified
    Brazil
    English to Portuguese
    + ...
    This is not the worst problem... Mar 12, 2015

The contests are graded by your peers – and, more often than not, they are competing with you. Doesn't it strike as a terrible idea that your competitors are grading you? Of course they are going to say their translation is better (intentionally or not)!

If the contest wants to be fair, then the judges must be completely impartial – and to do that, they can't compete.

Thomas T. Frost

José Henrique Lamensdorf
    Brazil
    English to Portuguese
    + ...
    In memoriam
    A possible solution Mar 13, 2015

Carlos A R de Souza wrote:

If the contest wants to be fair, then the judges must be completely impartial – and to do that, they can't compete.

Maybe for the next contest Proz should FIRST set up a panel of judges for a finite array of language pairs. Give them Kudoz, Browniz, dougnutz, whatever, but don't let them submit contest entries.

The contest should then be limited to language pairs having a panel of at least five judges. What's the point of competing in something that lacks the resources to be evaluated?

Thomas T. Frost

Russell Jones
    Russell Jones  Identity Verified
    United Kingdom
    Local time: 10:52
    Italian to English
    100% agree Mar 13, 2015

Carlos A R de Souza wrote:

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Maybe for the next contest Proz should FIRST set up a panel of judges for a finite array of language pairs. The contest should then be limited to language pairs having a panel of at least five judges. What's the point of competing in something that lacks the resources to be evaluated?

This has to be the way forward. Perhaps previous winners could be "encouraged" to act as judges.

Andreas Pompl
    Andreas Pompl
    Germany
    English to German
    + ...
    You must allow the participants to vote. Mar 17, 2015

Of course every participant will find his contribution great and the best translation ever made and he will rate it with five points. However his other ratings will count and contribute to find a winner. After introducing this system you can be sure that every participant will vote and there won't be a lack of voters anymore and the votes for the own contributions will neutralise themselves. This system is simple and does not need any third party judges or something like that. Proz.com should gi... See more
    Of course every participant will find his contribution great and the best translation ever made and he will rate it with five points. However his other ratings will count and contribute to find a winner. After introducing this system you can be sure that every participant will vote and there won't be a lack of voters anymore and the votes for the own contributions will neutralise themselves. This system is simple and does not need any third party judges or something like that. Proz.com should give it a try.Collapse

Luiza Kipper
    Brazil
    Portuguese to English
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Yes Mar 17, 2015

Russell Jones wrote:

This has to be the way forward. Perhaps previous winners could be "encouraged" to act as judges.

Your idea is great! I hope they implement this solution. I mean, why wouldn't they...

Lyubov Tyurina
    Lyubov Tyurina  Identity Verified
    Russian Federation
    Local time: 13:52
    French to Russian
    + ...
    judges Mar 18, 2015

Russell Jones wrote:

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro wrote:

In order to identify the most talented translators you need talented judges, which unfortunately is not the case, at least in my experience.

And this is true for some previous winners, unfortunately.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Next translation contest

TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
    Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »