Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Entries in the qualification round can be "ruled out", a few more adjustments are on the way
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:16
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
@Jose - did you misunderstand? Sep 18, 2014

Jose,
Could you explain how what you are talking about relates to what I was talking about, because I don't see it. Perhaps you misunderstood what I wrote?
Let me paraphrase it.
I would like to see a button next to the 5-star scale that says "pure garbage" or along those lines, so that we could indicate immediately, with one click, that the entry does not even worth a detailed feedback.
Entries that receive several of those would be the first candidates for ruling out by
... See more
Jose,
Could you explain how what you are talking about relates to what I was talking about, because I don't see it. Perhaps you misunderstood what I wrote?
Let me paraphrase it.
I would like to see a button next to the 5-star scale that says "pure garbage" or along those lines, so that we could indicate immediately, with one click, that the entry does not even worth a detailed feedback.
Entries that receive several of those would be the first candidates for ruling out by staff.
Katalin
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:16
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
There already is a "pure garbage" button (but it isn't labelled as such) Sep 18, 2014

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

I agree that a button labelled "pure garbage" would be a good idea, but in practice, as far as I can see, we already have that (by rating an entry with 1 star). You don't need to give any detailed feedback (tagging) anyway.

The problem might be the following: People tend to think that giving a rating of 1 star does the entry more good than not rating it at all (staff have already said that this is not the case). Giving 1 star will lower the ranking of an entry, not rating it at all will not alter the ranking.

[Bearbeitet am 2014-09-18 09:11 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:16
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
I got the idea, but it's too late to fix it Sep 18, 2014

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

Jose,
Let me paraphrase it.
Entries that receive several of those would be the first candidates for ruling out by staff.
Katalin

Katalin,

If you know anything about cars, the situation is comparable to what I see in most cars fitted with a DSG gearshift manufactured in Brazil: they have no "Park" position! In case of brakes failure, the only way to keep them stopped on a slope is by putting a brick behind one of the tires. So, for safety, the owner of such a car (e.g. my wife) should keep one such "brick" (actually a wedge) available within the vehicle.

So our "brick" here would be the "1" rating. It means that someone DID evaluate that submission and rated it as "junk". If that entry was indeed checked by a certain number of people AND more than, say, 60% of them gave it a "1", the system should bin it.

This would be a provisional solution (until the next contest) that would avoid having to fuss with programming while the contest is under way.

[Edited at 2014-09-18 21:47 GMT]

Maria Llovera
Maria Llovera  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
I like the contest! Sep 22, 2014

I'm happy with the contest; in the end, that is what we do all the time, translate. I don't feel I wasted any time at all, it is really very short. I have been "ruled out", but I still hope to get my translation back with comments or highlights so I can learn something from the exercise. I will also like to read the winning translation, that's for sure.
Maria J. Llovera

Vanessa Di Stefano
Vanessa Di Stefano  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:16
Member (2014)
Italian to English
Still not clear on how the ruling out is decided... Sep 22, 2014

I don't really understand (still) how the ruling out is decided. In my language pair 13 entries have been ruled out, including mine, and yet I see entries that are still in the running but with many more dislikes than I had (for example) and no likes (which I did have). I'm not raising this issue because I feel bitter about being ruled out, after all I can always learn something from the comments made and besides, preferences in writing/translating styles and choices are extremely subjective (ev... See more
I don't really understand (still) how the ruling out is decided. In my language pair 13 entries have been ruled out, including mine, and yet I see entries that are still in the running but with many more dislikes than I had (for example) and no likes (which I did have). I'm not raising this issue because I feel bitter about being ruled out, after all I can always learn something from the comments made and besides, preferences in writing/translating styles and choices are extremely subjective (even the best writers/translators are vilified by some readers), but it would be good to understand on what basis the ruling out is decided.

[Edited at 2014-09-27 13:53 GMT]
Collapse

Lotfi Abdolhaleem
Lotfi Abdolhaleem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 15:16
Arabic
+ ...
Unfair screening out mechanism. Sep 23, 2014

I felt sad for the precious time and efforts I spend professionally criticizing the contests for this to end up with unfair measures of ruling out I never thought of.
I believe that criticizing the contests by the contestants is OK, but the voting/evaluating phase should not be done by the contestants too, since honesty and subjectivity cannot be guaranteed.

I definitely wasted my time twice: Once when I participated (for the first time), and the second when I helped reviewing
... See more
I felt sad for the precious time and efforts I spend professionally criticizing the contests for this to end up with unfair measures of ruling out I never thought of.
I believe that criticizing the contests by the contestants is OK, but the voting/evaluating phase should not be done by the contestants too, since honesty and subjectivity cannot be guaranteed.

I definitely wasted my time twice: Once when I participated (for the first time), and the second when I helped reviewing the contests (for the last time).

[Edited at 2014-09-23 08:51 GMT]
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
@ Vanessa Sep 23, 2014

I think it's based on the star ratings, and nothing to do with the likes or dislikes.

Lotfi Abdolhaleem
Lotfi Abdolhaleem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 15:16
Arabic
+ ...
Vanessa Sep 23, 2014

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

I think it's based on the star ratings, and nothing to do with the likes or dislikes.

Wonderful diagnosis!

Maher Souilah
Maher Souilah
Tunisia
English to Arabic
+ ...
UNFAIR RULE Sep 23, 2014

Hi Jared

First I thank Proz on this contest.

But, I really encourage you to change the way how to determine who are to be rules out. If you said it Rating, I got 14 Likes, and there is another entry who got the same likes, but we are both out. And if it is the N° of "Dislikes" who determine , I have to say that, personally, I have participated in rating, and I only give my "Dislikes" for the good translation contestors, not to lose my time with bad ones. So I think, yo
... See more
Hi Jared

First I thank Proz on this contest.

But, I really encourage you to change the way how to determine who are to be rules out. If you said it Rating, I got 14 Likes, and there is another entry who got the same likes, but we are both out. And if it is the N° of "Dislikes" who determine , I have to say that, personally, I have participated in rating, and I only give my "Dislikes" for the good translation contestors, not to lose my time with bad ones. So I think, you have to rethink about this UNFAIR RULE
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Ratings determine which entries move forward, not like and dislike tags Sep 23, 2014

Ratings for "Quality of writing" and "Accuracy of translation" are what determine which entries move forward in the contest, and which entries are ruled out during the qualification round. These ratings are on a scale of 1-5, and appear next to an entry like this:

Likes and dislikes on an entry (the red
... See more
Ratings for "Quality of writing" and "Accuracy of translation" are what determine which entries move forward in the contest, and which entries are ruled out during the qualification round. These ratings are on a scale of 1-5, and appear next to an entry like this:

Likes and dislikes on an entry (the red and green tags) do not determine whether an entry moves forward or is ruled out.
Collapse

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
? Sep 24, 2014

When a term has e.g. a disagreement, I can't see how to add a separate/additional disagreement concerning another aspect of the term.

FrancoisP (X)
FrancoisP (X)
France
English to French
+ ...
Easy Sep 25, 2014

Rachel Fell wrote:

When a term has e.g. a disagreement, I can't see how to add a separate/additional disagreement concerning another aspect of the term.

You just have to click on the word again to add another dislike (if that's what you mean when talking about disagreement).

FrancoisP (X)
FrancoisP (X)
France
English to French
+ ...
Ruling out idea Sep 25, 2014

Maybe you could add a buttton called "Substandard text" to evaluate submissions.

Once a rater has clicked on it, the text would be flagged for other raters who could then validate or not the ruling out.

Thus, bad translations would probably be discarded faster and raters would lose less time rating them.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
The halo effect Sep 25, 2014

FrancoisP wrote:

Maybe you could add a buttton called "Substandard text" to evaluate submissions.

Once a rater has clicked on it, the text would be flagged for other raters who could then validate or not the ruling out.

Thus, bad translations would probably be discarded faster and raters would lose less time rating them.

I think it shouldn't be so wide open.

This flag would create a prompt, a nudge, or whatever you'd like to call it for other reviewers to discard that entry without reading.

I'd suggest it be automated. After, say, 10% of the number of entries have checked it for binning, it would be automatically removed.

Example:
Pair: from Kardashian to Lower Slobovian
Entries: 43

When 4 evaluators check it as "substandard", it goes out automatically.

To make it transparent, there should be an option (for more patient raters) to "see discarded entries". Then they can recycle it by clicking on "I don't think this entry is substandard".

Anochko
Anochko
Belarus
Local time: 16:16
French to Russian
+ ...
How are rated entries? Sep 25, 2014

Sorry for my bad English, it isn't my working language.

I don't understand how are rated entries

If an entry recieves 5 stars from a voter, 4 stars from another voter and 3 stars from the third voter how is the final rating?

(3+4+5)/3 = 4

or

3+4+5 = 12

[Edited at 2014-09-25 18:42 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Entries in the qualification round can be "ruled out", a few more adjustments are on the way

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »