Ines R.
Spain
Local time: 08:37
Spanish to German
+ ...
Jan 14, 2013

Dear colleagues,

I have a general question.
When I entered my text the footnotes and cursiv letters were not displayed.
Now my question is: what we have to do?
Do we write the footnote in brackets behind the term?
What we have to do with the cursive letters?

Kind regards

Ines

[Edited at 2013-01-14 21:11 GMT]

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Formatting is not possible Jan 15, 2013

Hello Ines,

As you've noticed, the formatting of contest entries is not possible. However, you are invited to be as creative as possible to highlight your skills when submitting an entry.

Good luck!

Lucia

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Lucia Jan 16, 2013

Hello, Lucia!

After reading your reply to Ines, and this particular bit,

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

However, you are invited to be as creative as possible to highlight your skills when submitting an entry.

I am not sure how to interpret this and I would like you to further explain it.

Inviting contestants to be creative in their use of punctuation or typefaces in their native language, is like saying that style guides are not that important. Which, is not exactly what a professional translator and proofreader wants to read on a professional website.

While I'm here, I am sorry to say, it looks like this particular contest wasn't organized very well.

It wasn't advertised until very recently, and the deadline for submission has been put off for six times (!) already. Originally, it was January 3, but then it was moved forward to Jan. 7, 10, 12, 14, and yesterday again to January 21. I am sure you will say that your decision was intended to allow more colleagues to take part in it and in more language pairs.
Well, you should have known that, after 10 editions of the contest, shouldn't you?
And we've got colleagues complaining that their language pairs (from and into major EU languages) are not even there!

After being bombarded with the Berra contest before, during and after it took place, I cannot say I am too impressed by the way this new translation contest has been dealt with so far.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Agree Jan 16, 2013

Barbara Carrara wrote:

It wasn't advertised until very recently, and the deadline for submission has been put off for six times (!) already. Originally, it was January 3, but then it was moved forward to Jan. 7, 10, 12, 14, and yesterday again to January 21. I am sure you will say that your decision was intended to allow more colleagues to take part in it and in more language pairs.
Well, you should have known that, after 10 editions of the contest, shouldn't you?

I agree with this observation, I find it particularly annoying that the deadline keeps being extended so often. What's the point of having a deadline at all, then?

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Unedited since 4 days
Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Just encouraging participants to do their best to get the most our of this contest Jan 16, 2013

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Hello, Lucia!

After reading your reply to Ines, and this particular bit,

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

However, you are invited to be as creative as possible to highlight your skills when submitting an entry.

I am not sure how to interpret this and I would like you to further explain it.

Inviting contestants to be creative in their use of punctuation or typefaces in their native language, is like saying that style guides are not that important. Which, is not exactly what a professional translator and proofreader wants to read on a professional website.

It looks like I did not make myself clear, Barbara. I never meant that style guidelines are not important. What I meant is that, for the time being at least, entry formatting is not possible and tried to encourage participants to be as creative as possible. Ines' suggestion has been noted and recorded for evaluation and possible future implementation.

Now, as regards the extension of the submission phase deadline, this has been done to give other colleagues the chance to participate as well. As another member notices in a different forum thread, the more entries are submitted, the more interesting the contest becomes.

I'm sorry to read that you are not impressed by the way this new translation contest has been dealt with so far. I assure you that site staff members in charge of the current contest are doing their best to make of this contest a great experience for site members.

Regards,

Lucia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Footnotes and cursive letters are not displayed on contest entries

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »