Thread poster: patyjs
patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 23, 2009

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if an entry just slipped through the qualification phase without being rated? It could happen, after all.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Entries that are not rated are removed from contention Sep 23, 2009

Hello Patyjs,

If an entry in qualification phase is not rated, then it is removed from contention when it becomes clear that it has no reasonable chance of winning. Such assessment is made based on the average rating received from peers (relative to that assigned to other entries), after some minimum number of votes.

Hope this explains.

Regards,

Lucia

patyjs
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's not what I meant... Sep 23, 2009

If I understand correctly, entries pass to the final round according to their rating. But in order for this assessment to be made, the entry must have been rated by somebody.

It is feasible that if everyone only rates some, not all, entries, there may be one (or more) left at the end of the qualification stage which has not been rated. That has nothing to do with the quality of the entry(ies). It would be a shame if a decent entry did not qualify simply because it was unlucky.
... See more
If I understand correctly, entries pass to the final round according to their rating. But in order for this assessment to be made, the entry must have been rated by somebody.

It is feasible that if everyone only rates some, not all, entries, there may be one (or more) left at the end of the qualification stage which has not been rated. That has nothing to do with the quality of the entry(ies). It would be a shame if a decent entry did not qualify simply because it was unlucky.

Perhaps the number of times the entry has been rated could be shown. Voters who don't have time to properly evaluate 50+ entries could then just scroll down and select those which have not already been rated.
Collapse

patyjs
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for trying to clear this up but... Sep 23, 2009

obviously I haven't managed to explain clearly enough what the issue is.

In reply to your email, I am already tagging and rating some entries.

My question is a theoretical one, I hope, in as much as it may not happen.

Let's suppose there are 20 entries. (Any number of) voters decide to rate SOME of the entries at random (No voter rates all entries). 19 entries receive ratings from 1 to 5 and are passed to the final round or eliminated accordingly. My quest
... See more
obviously I haven't managed to explain clearly enough what the issue is.

In reply to your email, I am already tagging and rating some entries.

My question is a theoretical one, I hope, in as much as it may not happen.

Let's suppose there are 20 entries. (Any number of) voters decide to rate SOME of the entries at random (No voter rates all entries). 19 entries receive ratings from 1 to 5 and are passed to the final round or eliminated accordingly. My question is, what happens to the entry which nobody rated? It has not received a rating of 0 since it has not been rated at all, so it would be unfair to eliminate it.

I'm sorry if I seem pedantic, but if unrated entries are eliminated, that is surely grounds for making sure that all entries ARE rated. Hence, my suggestion for a rating count displayed at the side of each entry (not the actual rating itself).

Or am I missing something
Collapse

Alessio Nunziato
Alessio Nunziato
Germany
Local time: 06:49
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
genius! Sep 23, 2009

patyjs wrote:

Perhaps the number of times the entry has been rated could be shown. Voters who don't have time to properly evaluate 50+ entries could then just scroll down and select those which have not already been rated.

this is a wonderful idea!

patyjs
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Alessio! Sep 23, 2009

I'm glad we're on the same page.

Aitor Aizpuru
Aitor Aizpuru  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to French
+ ...
I think Patyjs has a good point Sep 23, 2009

In some cases, few people will have time to read all the entries of a given pair (75 entries for English to Spanish pair).

It is therefore possible that several entries will not be rated.

In this pair, I only hope that all the persons who enter tags and who agree or disagree with the tags, are also reading the entire text, and voting.

Rocio Gonzalez-Medland
Rocio Gonzalez-Medland  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
That's is exactly What I thought... Sep 24, 2009

Good Morning.

I think what Patyjs is proposing makes perfect sense. Last night I was going through the lists( English -Spanish) of translations and noticed a very unbalanced number of entries. Some of them had more than 5 ( negative or positive ) but some had absolutely none.

I was going to give some raitings to some of the translations, but its sheer number o( I think 75 ) made me think twice, not because it was going to take more than I thought, but I wanted to give
... See more
Good Morning.

I think what Patyjs is proposing makes perfect sense. Last night I was going through the lists( English -Spanish) of translations and noticed a very unbalanced number of entries. Some of them had more than 5 ( negative or positive ) but some had absolutely none.

I was going to give some raitings to some of the translations, but its sheer number o( I think 75 ) made me think twice, not because it was going to take more than I thought, but I wanted to give my comments and raitings to ALL of them. Otherwise, I thought it was not going to be a fair voting process from my side. AND THAT is a real shame.

I sincerely hope this could be implemented in the future. A panel of colleagues could volunteer to oversee the process so nobody could be left behind.( just an idea)

Rocío.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Agree that something needs to be done Sep 24, 2009

The one that slips through without any rating may be the potential winning entry - we must prevent that.

I found it very difficult to find the time (and interest, it must be said) to look through the 32 French-English entries. I certainly couldn't have done so in the English-Spanish pair.

One partial solution, already proposed by someone in another thread, is to give us a maximum of, say, 20 to 30 entries to rate. For a pair with more entries, everyone would be presente
... See more
The one that slips through without any rating may be the potential winning entry - we must prevent that.

I found it very difficult to find the time (and interest, it must be said) to look through the 32 French-English entries. I certainly couldn't have done so in the English-Spanish pair.

One partial solution, already proposed by someone in another thread, is to give us a maximum of, say, 20 to 30 entries to rate. For a pair with more entries, everyone would be presented with a random selection. In this way, those of us who want to vote (but don't want to spend an entire week on it) will be able to do the job properly.

That would not prevent a zero rating situation, of course - just reduce the likelihood.
Collapse

Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
Arranging entries in increasing order Sep 24, 2009

I would suggest arranging entries in increasing order, in accordance with the numbers of ratings, and not random. I believe it would solve the problem, as the first entries a participant would see would be least rated. If one rates the first 4 to 5 entries, the order changes, etc. etc.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Good idea! Sep 24, 2009

Hello all,

I think patyjs' suggestion is a great idea. Just let me see what can be done.

I cannot promise this will be implemented for the current contest, specially because the qualification phase closes this next Saturday. But I promise to do everything I can to make it real.

Thank you all.

Regards,

Lucia

patyjs
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Lucia. Sep 25, 2009

I see we now have the number of raters displayed for each entry. But why am I not allowed to see it on my own entry?

Thanks again!

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Number of raters now shown for each entry Sep 25, 2009

Hello all,

As you may have already noticed, the number of raters is now shown above each entry to those that meet the requirements to rate entries in a given language pair.

As Patyjs noticed, the number of raters is not shown to the entry owner as self-rating is not allowed and so this is information the entry owner does not need.

Hope this helps.

Give it a try when rating and let me know how it works for you.

Regards,

... See more
Hello all,

As you may have already noticed, the number of raters is now shown above each entry to those that meet the requirements to rate entries in a given language pair.

As Patyjs noticed, the number of raters is not shown to the entry owner as self-rating is not allowed and so this is information the entry owner does not need.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Alessio Nunziato
Alessio Nunziato
Germany
Local time: 06:49
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
very helpful Sep 25, 2009

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Hello all,

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lucia

it works fine and it's really helpful! many thanks for implementing this idea so fast! but I would be curious to see how many people rated my entry, I know I cannot vote but, you know, curiosity

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What happens to an un-rated entry?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »