Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
9th ProZ.com translation contest: Business. Qualification and final voting phases will start soon
Thread poster: Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Sep 20, 2009

Dear Members,

The submission phase of the 9th ProZ.com Translation Contest is now closed for language pairs that have received 3 or more entries. Remember that the submission phase for language pairs with Italian as source language will remain open until Monday, September 21, 22:00 GMT (more information here ).

For pairs with a large number of
... See more
Dear Members,

The submission phase of the 9th ProZ.com Translation Contest is now closed for language pairs that have received 3 or more entries. Remember that the submission phase for language pairs with Italian as source language will remain open until Monday, September 21, 22:00 GMT (more information here ).

For pairs with a large number of entries (more than 7), a qualification round will be opened to ensure that an appropriate number of entries reaches the finals, and that the entries selected are the best and most accurate.

Rating is not yet possible, but when it becomes possible, raters will be able to rate entries in two categories: "Quality of writing" and "Accuracy of translation" on an absolute scale of 1 ("poor") to 5 ("perfect"). During this phase, entries will be removed from contention when it becomes clear that they have no reasonable chance of winning. Such assessment is made based on the average rating received from peers (relative to that assigned to other entries), after some minimum number of votes.

For information on how to rate entries see:

http://www.proz.com/faq/13420#13420

Language pairs with 3-7 entries will go directly into final voting phase. In final voting rounds, voters will be asked to select the entry that they consider the best of the group. Second and third best entries may also be designated, with points being assigned to entries in amounts of four (4), two (2) and one (1), respectively. The entry that collects the most points in final round voting, wins.

You will find more information on the voting process here:

http://www.proz.com/faq/13819#13819

Finally, some of the language pairs that have received 1 or 2 entries will continue to be in submission phase until a minimum of 3 entries is reached, and so the pair is moved to final voting phase, or until Saturday, September 26.

Voting and qualification rounds should be open for all pairs moving to these phases by Tuesday, September 22 at the latest.

The contest structure is also explained in detail here.

Thank you all for your participation.

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Silvia Prendin
Silvia Prendin  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:12
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Phase 2 frozen Sep 20, 2009

I would like to vote and read the Italian translations, for the qualification round. How come I cannot see the texts? When will they be available for voting?

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Qualification and final voting phases will start soon Sep 20, 2009

Hello Silvia,

As stated in the title of this thread, qualification and final voting phases will start soon.

I appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Lucia

Jacqueline Sieben
Jacqueline Sieben  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
It was a fun and tough Sep 20, 2009

translation contest for me, and I can't wait to see what the pro's have made of it!

Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 23:12
English to Romanian
Is this a technical problem? Sep 21, 2009

Last night, the qualification phase was open for English-Romanian translations and I could see the translations. Now, is says "The qualification phase will start soon."
I don't think I'm seeing a cached version, as I tried in three different browsers, both logged and un-logged in.
I suppose there is a technical problem? Could the staff please check?
Thank you!
Maria

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 16:12
SITE FOUNDER
Pairs transitioning one by one Sep 21, 2009

Hi Maria,

As you noticed, pairs are being reviewed and transitioned one by one. It is expected that all pairs will be in their correct state by the end of the day today.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:12
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Why can't I respond to a tag? Sep 21, 2009

I understand perfectly why you are not entitled to tag or vote for your own entry. However, someone has asked a specific question in a tag, to which I have a specific answer (in the form of a link) if only I had the right of reply.

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Agree or disagree Sep 21, 2009

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I understand perfectly why you are not entitled to tag or vote for your own entry. However, someone has asked a specific question in a tag, to which I have a specific answer (in the form of a link) if only I had the right of reply.

You may do it by agree or disagree options AFAIK.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Agreeing and disagreeing with tagged portions of your own entries Sep 21, 2009

Dear Sheila,

As M. Ali explain, you can agree or disagree with a tagged section of your own translation by clicking on I agree or I disagree below the tag and providing additional information.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lucia

Alessio Nunziato
Alessio Nunziato
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
too little space for comments Sep 21, 2009

Hello Lucia,

it's often very difficult, if not impossible, to explain clearly a tag with so few characters. Would it be possible to offer more space?

Thanks in advance.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Increasing the number of characters for tagging comments: what do you think? Sep 21, 2009

Hello Alessio,

Note that the purpose of tagging is to compare notes with other voters and provide feedback to contestants. For this, I believe 70 characters for a note should be enough. I fact, I have not seen many comments with more than 50 characters.

However, I would like to know what others think about this suggestion and check with developers to see what adjustments could be made.

You are welcome to express your opinions here.

Thank
... See more
Hello Alessio,

Note that the purpose of tagging is to compare notes with other voters and provide feedback to contestants. For this, I believe 70 characters for a note should be enough. I fact, I have not seen many comments with more than 50 characters.

However, I would like to know what others think about this suggestion and check with developers to see what adjustments could be made.

Thank you all in advance.

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
changed my mind on tag Sep 21, 2009

Is there a way to eliminate a tag that I made? I can't find it in the FAQ. I changed my mind.

Alessio Nunziato
Alessio Nunziato
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
some mistakes require more space Sep 21, 2009

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Hello Alessio,

Thank you all in advance.

Regards,

Lucia

Hello Lucia!

Well, I think 70 characters are enough to tag grammar, spelling, omission or other very circumscribed mistakes, but when it comes to mistranslations which cause, for example, a global change in meaning or do not convey some nuances of the original text, it is difficult to explain this in 70 characters. Let's wait and see what others think about it.

Thank you for your reply

Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 23:12
English to Romanian
You can remove a comment/tag Sep 21, 2009

Susan Welsh wrote:

Is there a way to eliminate a tag that I made? I can't find it in the FAQ. I changed my mind.

Hi Susan, there is an "x" in the upper right corner of each comment you made, and if you click on it, your comment (and the tag) will be removed.
HTH

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Length of comments and accented letters - another problem Sep 21, 2009

The other problem with the character count of comments is that letters with diacritics seems to mess up the count: text containing accented characters gets truncated, even though it is not longer than the limit when entered.
The only thing I can think of is that the accented characters get converted to a code with % or & characters and that increases the length of the comment, and the comment then gets truncated automatically when displayed.
Could this be fixed?

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

9th ProZ.com translation contest: Business. Qualification and final voting phases will start soon

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »